PDA

View Full Version : "Please login with administrator privileges and try again" error

jpietraszewski
10-21-2004, 08:23 PM
I have searched the forums and Internet extensively for a solution to this problem. Several people have mentioned a similar problem to the one I am experiencing, but I am unable to find a soltution. Here is my problem:

I did a complete install of Myst IV using my Windows XP Home account that has administrator privileges. The configurator indicates that all of my hardware/software is compatible. However, when I try to run the game, I get the error message, "Please login with administrator privileges and try again."

Here are the things I have tried so far; all result in the same error message:

1. Restarting the computer, and only logging into my account with administrator privileges.

2. Creating a new login ID with administrator privileges, and trying to run the game from that ID.

3. Right-clicking on the MystIV.exe file, selecting Run as, then choosing an account with administrator privileges.

4. Restarting the computer in Safe Mode, logging in on the hidden Administrator account, and trying to run the game.

5. Uninstalling the game, reinistalling it in Safe Mode using the hidden Administrator account, and trying to run it from both the Administrator account and my account.

6. Looked for a secdrv.sys file on the first DVD (didn't find one), with the intention of copying it to the windows system32 drivers folder had I found the file.

I submitted my question to Ubisoft, and received the following response:

"Try uninstalling the game, then login as the main administrator account and install the game under that account. The game should work fine then."

Thus, I tried #5 above, with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Here is my system information from the first block of my DxDiag.txt report:

Time of this report: 10/21/2004, 01:57:18
Machine name: JOE-SJ
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 8250
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 260MB used, 987MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Though my computer isn't brand new, it's still pretty decent, and I'm frustrated that the game won't run. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Joe

jpietraszewski
10-21-2004, 08:23 PM
I have searched the forums and Internet extensively for a solution to this problem. Several people have mentioned a similar problem to the one I am experiencing, but I am unable to find a soltution. Here is my problem:

I did a complete install of Myst IV using my Windows XP Home account that has administrator privileges. The configurator indicates that all of my hardware/software is compatible. However, when I try to run the game, I get the error message, "Please login with administrator privileges and try again."

Here are the things I have tried so far; all result in the same error message:

1. Restarting the computer, and only logging into my account with administrator privileges.

2. Creating a new login ID with administrator privileges, and trying to run the game from that ID.

3. Right-clicking on the MystIV.exe file, selecting Run as, then choosing an account with administrator privileges.

4. Restarting the computer in Safe Mode, logging in on the hidden Administrator account, and trying to run the game.

5. Uninstalling the game, reinistalling it in Safe Mode using the hidden Administrator account, and trying to run it from both the Administrator account and my account.

6. Looked for a secdrv.sys file on the first DVD (didn't find one), with the intention of copying it to the windows system32 drivers folder had I found the file.

I submitted my question to Ubisoft, and received the following response:

"Try uninstalling the game, then login as the main administrator account and install the game under that account. The game should work fine then."

Thus, I tried #5 above, with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Here is my system information from the first block of my DxDiag.txt report:

Time of this report: 10/21/2004, 01:57:18
Machine name: JOE-SJ
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 8250
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 260MB used, 987MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Though my computer isn't brand new, it's still pretty decent, and I'm frustrated that the game won't run. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Joe

maztec
10-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Check to see where it thinks your My Documents folder is located and make sure you have read/write privs in it..
Also try other users on your system that do exist.

jpietraszewski
10-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is there a simple way to see where it thinks the My Documents folder is located? I opened up the game.ini file and tried changing the SAVEGAME path, but that didn't seem to do anything. Since the game has never actually run, I don't think it has created the "myst4-revelation savegames" folder anywhere in My Documents.

I tried running the game from all other accounts on my computer, but I still get the error message.

Joe

maztec
10-22-2004, 12:09 AM
hmm, check privileges on my documents, make sure it can right to it.. you could try creating a c:\my documents\ folder just to see if it works aftery ou do that...

Should be a patch out soon, try it once it's out, might fix your issues.

jpietraszewski
10-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Well, I was able to get Myst IV to run tonight after trying several more things. I ended up re-booting with the Windows XP CD and repairing Windows XP. Of course, this had the nasty side-effect of removing any Windows updates I have loaded (including Service Pack 2), so it took some doing to get everything back in order. At least I'm not getting the Administrator error anymore. Now I've just got to figure out why the framerate seems so sluggish...