PDA

View Full Version : FPS: First Person Scuttlebutt

Tesseract
06-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Figured I'd start a thread of first-hand comments on HAZE from the Big Wide World. Magazine articles are all well and good, but they're not the only ones who are excited. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I was talking to a local indie game store owner today about games in general, and HAZE came up. He pulled the PSM Magazine (with HAZE on the cover) from the shelf behind him, and before launching into glowing admiration of how cool he thought it was gonna be, he said "I don't generally like FPS's, but this looks like it's gonna be awesome."

deded999
06-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Well I've seen posts elsewhere from many people who say a similar, 'well I'm not normally interested in FPS games, but...', which I would take to be admiration for what is a genuinely interesting plot/scenario rather than just another inane shoot-the-aliens type of game. Originality doesn't often sell well, but in 'small' doses on top of a great game engine it can be done.

TerranUp16
06-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Other than here, I've mostly seen skepticism, but that's generally b/c the forums I hang out around are PC-orientated, and Free Radical is going to need to do a lot to remove PC gamers' skepticism of the game- especially given that the PS3 is now the "leading platform", and historically whenever the PC has come second as far as a developer's focus for a game, the game has not fared so well on the PC b/c it usually ends up being a piece of ****, or a relative piece of ****. The PC is the home of the "elite" FPS games, and generally PC gamers need to be convinced that this FPS they're looking at is such a title, an "elite" FPS game worthy of the PC. Halo has done a lot to place a stigma console FPS games, and especially console FPS ports to the PC. On the consoles, Halo is a good game- on the PC, it's **** (as is Halo 2). Of course, the TS series owns the Halo series, so...

Santaclownz
06-02-2007, 04:16 PM
From what I've read and understand from what frd_neko's saying it isn't developed on PS3 and ported to the rest later, but it has been developed on PS3/PC AND 360 from the start and parallel... so why do those so-called pc elites shout it's gonna suck? My guess is that they've just seen a little piece of information and made their premature conclusions. Something we should be wary of ourselves by the way, although I know it's hard not to get pulled into the enthusiasm!

TerranUp16
06-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Skepticism doesn't mean they think Haze will be ****... and they know it's being developed simultaneously on multiple platforms... but the PS3 version is the leading version, so Haze is first and foremost seen as a console game, and thus inherits the stigma that brings with it.

LiquidEagle
06-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by TerranUp16:
Other than here, I've mostly seen skepticism, but that's generally b/c the forums I hang out around are PC-orientated, and Free Radical is going to need to do a lot to remove PC gamers' skepticism of the game- especially given that the PS3 is now the "leading platform", and historically whenever the PC has come second as far as a developer's focus for a game, the game has not fared so well on the PC b/c it usually ends up being a piece of ****, or a relative piece of ****. The PC is the home of the "elite" FPS games, and generally PC gamers need to be convinced that this FPS they're looking at is such a title, an "elite" FPS game worthy of the PC. Halo has done a lot to place a stigma console FPS games, and especially console FPS ports to the PC. On the consoles, Halo is a good game- on the PC, it's **** (as is Halo 2). Of course, the TS series owns the Halo series, so...

Don't forget Goldeneye and Perfect Dark...

TerranUp16
06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Goldeneye was and wasn't made by FR... but TS owns Halo well enough that it's easier to not get into the Goldeneye bit- I just always make it known that FR was formed from the brains behind Goldeneye.