PDA

View Full Version : What do the different coloured ships mean?

Sid_UK76
03-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Evening all, i'm new to the silent hunter series but got SH3 on recommendation from a mate and cant play it enough (mainly due to the missus!)

I've completed the naval academy and gone onto a career, sailed out of Keil towards the Atlantic and so far i've come across a blue (is this other axis vessels?) green (not sure) & red (i sunk it but not sure what it was) different coloured vessels.

Can somebody tell me what the diff colours represent?

Also, whenever i ask my navigator what my range is at current speed he always tells me its not available, anyone know why this is?

And one last question - how/where can you check fuel levels so you can gauge the distance you can travel?

Cheers folks

Sid_UK76
03-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Evening all, i'm new to the silent hunter series but got SH3 on recommendation from a mate and cant play it enough (mainly due to the missus!)

I've completed the naval academy and gone onto a career, sailed out of Keil towards the Atlantic and so far i've come across a blue (is this other axis vessels?) green (not sure) & red (i sunk it but not sure what it was) different coloured vessels.

Can somebody tell me what the diff colours represent?

Also, whenever i ask my navigator what my range is at current speed he always tells me its not available, anyone know why this is?

And one last question - how/where can you check fuel levels so you can gauge the distance you can travel?

Cheers folks

RommelsMind
03-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Blue= Friendly Green= Neutral Red= Enemy

Sid_UK76
03-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Green you blow the **** out of anyway right?

Red i take it is allied warships then and green are merchants?

RommelsMind
03-30-2005, 03:56 PM
To check fuel level, Click on the Chief Engineer, then the report Icon, then one of the four listed, it will show all at once. Fuel, Compressed air, Batteries and CO2 levels

dquock
03-30-2005, 04:01 PM
The color denotes whether they are part of the axis, allies or neutral. Blue is axis (friendly), red is allies (enemy) and green is neutral. I'm fairly sure neutral is considered off-limits, as I remember reading it somewhere in the manual. I've also read discussions on here on how people avoided neutral ships in convoys.

The shape of the contact represents the type of vessel. A square is a merchant ship while a diamond is a warship.

Hope this helps!

Sid_UK76
03-30-2005, 04:04 PM
ooooooooops

so i'm not supposed to nail green vessels then?

Isn't that the first mission? To nail allied convoys in the Atlantic or am i only supposed to be targeting the warships?

NaturalBornGoth
03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, on my second patrol, i think, i came across a green colored contact off the coast of western Ireland. It turned out to be a quite juicy looking American freighter bound for the United Kingdom. It was 1939, so of course it had to be neutral. I couldn't resist sinking it, though. Tonnage is tonnage... and even though i duly noted the destruction of a neutral ship in the log, there were no repercussions whatsoever, at least i wouldn't know of any. I didn't check if it had any impact on my renown value.

RommelsMind
03-30-2005, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sid_UK76:
ooooooooops

so i'm not supposed to nail green vessels then?

Isn't that the first mission? To nail allied convoys in the Atlantic or am i only supposed to be targeting the warships? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you have to consider the time period of the war you start in. For instance, If you come across an American merchant ship in '39, its considered neutral because America was not in the war yet. This all changes in 41 however. So just go by history. The later the war progresses, the more countries enter, making for some more juicy targets.

TheRealAttalus
03-30-2005, 05:02 PM
I sank 3 neutral vessels on my first patrol (including an armed French trawler).

I found no repercussions were forthcoming from Bdu after the first kill, in fact I received a 'keep it up' transmission.

I did note however, that my CREW did not seem to like it...they all started receving little red exclamation marks.

Now, I'm pretty sure I babied them on their shifts ( Never exceeding 6 hours) but they could just have been a little homesick.

I had exceeded my patrol window by another 48 hours.

I had assumed they would get a morale BOOST if we sank somebody...my bad.

That is all.

Simmoxx
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
if the neutral ships are sailing in a convoy with enemy ships i sink em,,,
hell i sink em anyway if i come across them
cant see any penalities for doing so,but i suspect i would maybe have more renown if i didnt

AStotzer
03-30-2005, 05:39 PM
The Readme US.txt file says this:

5.3 Renegade Status
When attacking neutral units, your status will change to "renegade" for AI. All neutral units belonging to the nation of the attacked neutral ship will treat you as enemy for the next 24 hours. Note that this includes aircrafts and coastal defenses, beside civil and military ships.
E.g: attacking a US merchant before January 1942 will cause all US ships to treat you as enemy for 24 hours after the attack.
Beside the status change, any neutral unit sunk will earn you negative renown during the career mode.

Frederf220
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
I think we should test rigorously this: " any neutral unit sunk will earn you negative renown during the career mode" line. I haven't sunk anything besides enemy cargos but there's stories of people sinking a half dozen neutrals and coming home with a positive renoun.

TASKFORCE1x1
04-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Topic moved to Com. Help April 6 2004.

alanschu
04-06-2005, 02:53 AM
Sid, many of the "red" targets are still merchant ships. They are just part of the enemy.

As for the renown, I have noticed I am getting much more renown for sinking exclusively enemy ships as opposed to when I was killing indiscriminately.

ChunkyChops-IIc
04-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Your NO won't give you a maximum range at current speed if you are running on batteries, but will on diesel.

mbabbs
04-06-2005, 03:48 AM
If you sink a neutral ship you lose a considerable amount of renown..... as I found out.