PDA

View Full Version : What's DLA

woodcarver13
01-14-2006, 06:05 AM
Every time I start my Exhile, I get a message that I don't understand. It doesn't seem to bother anything, but I would like to know if anyone knows what it is. The header reads "Sonic DLA" and the message reads " your version of DLA can read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to them". This doesn't stop me from saving games, as I can type in what I need. Does anyone think it would bother future games, as I have Myst IV and V waiting to go after I finish III.

Vogelaar
01-14-2006, 08:05 AM
DLA stands for "Drive Letter Access". Sonic DLA is software that allows you to treat a recordable CD or DVD in drive just as if it is a hard disk or floppy disk - you can use Windows Explorer to drag files to the CD/DVD, rename files etc.
Of course, this only applies to recordable CDs/DVDs, not to a read-only disk such as an Exile game disk.
When you insert the Exile disk, Sonic DLA looks at it and warns you that it can't be edited. That's all. It's not a problem.

woodcarver13
01-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks so much for a quick reply. I had a suspision that it was something like that because it didn't seem to bother anything else. You may have guessed, I don't know too much about computers!!!

Heimdall_G
01-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Sonic DLA and other programs that enable CD/DVD packet writing may not cause problems with Exile, but they're very likely to do so with Myst IV and Myst V! Also, CD/DVD burning or copying programs, like Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, Easy CD/DVD Creator, Nero Burning ROM, etc., that install virtual discs are likely to cause problems with Myst IV and Myst V.

For details, take a look at Myst V: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/6171031163), under Installing and Re-Installing EoA With Win XP - "In general, any or all of the following may be necessary to prevent EoA installation problems". The same comments apply to Myst IV. (See Myst IV: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/580100736/m/4431011493).)