PDA

View Full Version : Host Grab

Silv3rbullet13
06-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Waht do you guys think about the host grab. For all you people out there that dont no what it is, its when a merc has his back to a wall and the host can still grab him almost like a 180. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks ubi will get rid of it or if its really is true that there is a such thing

Silv3rbullet13
06-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Waht do you guys think about the host grab. For all you people out there that dont no what it is, its when a merc has his back to a wall and the host can still grab him almost like a 180. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks ubi will get rid of it or if its really is true that there is a such thing

Epicurus_13
06-01-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't think that the host grab is an actual move per se, I think it's that the host has no lag at all, since all the events happening on their screen are happening in "real time". The merc who gets hit by the host looks like he's still in the corner on his own screen, but due to the delay, he's actually quite grabbable on the host's. This is why you often run into spies who are hosting a game and refuse to leave the host slot - because after all, if you're the kind of person who's entertained by being an aggro spy, then you're the kind of person who can't tell an unfair advantage from the hole in your butt.

HardToExist
06-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Yea, it's bull, but there's not much that can be done. I've had spies (host) that have run directly up to me, smacked me in the face and INSTANTLY (like no less than half a second after slapping me) grabbed me. It was pretty ridiculous. I usually leave the games when theyre that laggy though. I have no problem with getting my neck broken fairly, but when it's too laggy then it's just time to find a better game.

Starkey_
06-01-2005, 02:24 PM
It's not just the host though...I can do it on a friends server and have seen other non-host players do it. It's just about timing and angles.

oldskool71422
06-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Wow just wow number 1 its not the host as starkey said its a matter of skill and knowing when you get that good hit. i practically invented this move back on pandora. It's very simple so simple i prefer my enemys to stay in the corners that way i can quick grab him so quikly i dont have to worry about berserk simply go to the merc and melee him as if you were looking at the corner this will expose the neck so just push the spy in the exposed area as much as possible and hit A if any of this is confusing i can show you but my mic is broke so ehh o well just remember epicurus hard to exist your wrong and for posting some garbage claiming lag or real time unfairity's(hunh unfarity's) without even taking the time to find out the process so NEWB dont play versus with me i dont feel like babysitting

oldskool71422
06-01-2005, 06:20 PM
o yeah im X THE FEAR X on xbox live

DominusPrinceps
06-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Actually, Epi has a valid point. The host Xbox is where it all happens, and all the client (non-host) Xboxes have to sync up with the host. This happens all the time, usually many times per second, so there is usually no discrepancy between the host and client. lag is when the client loses touch with the host, so the host xbox, while trying to reconnect, compensated for the client. anyone who has played Halo2 has been standbyed, and standby is essentially lag. after the client reconnects,it is synced to the host machine. this is what causes players to "blink" arond the map, because as far as the host is concerned, you were always there. you just didn't know it.

That said, I have seen and occasionaly done the "corner grab" where you slap a merc, then grap him out of the corner. It's real, just much, much easier to pull off if you're the host.

routeone
06-01-2005, 10:16 PM
I find that if this happens to me it's usually the host but I've been experimenting with another technique but this is for snapping necks in general.

If you hit a merc and he gets pushed to your right, then he'll almost always move to his right to get back to the normal position, in the same way as the spy would go left when you push the merc right because his back will be exposed, but I find as a spy if I go right when the merc is pushed to the right then I have a lot more success with snapping his neck.

Apologies for the terrible explanation.

Epicurus_13
06-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Oh, I didn't know that striking a merc into a corner exposes them for a moment! Good thing the INVENTOR OF THE TECHNIQUE graced us with his wit! Oh, why did I ever speak so proudly of the "unfairity's" (sic) that have ruined me! Oh wise and noble oldskool71422, you have brought me back from the brink of disaster! Many thanks!

In other words - thanks for the correction - now go get your high"skool" diploma.

rikakiah
06-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Five. Amazing that that entire paragraph only needed five instances of punctuation and capitalization (non-words such as newb are excluded, of course, but that would've brought the total to 9--for the mathematically challenged and those still in high skool).

oldskool71422
06-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Sorry for the bad explanation and punctuation but thats besisdes the fact I do very well in "school" oh and i never said to strike the merc back in the corner i said smack him as if you were facing the corner learn to read, this is hard to explain but im doing my best give me your G-Tag and i will show you just make sure you melee him off sided so your basically turning the merc to your will not much of the neck need's exposing for the spy to be able to push yourself in there and get the grab. I've takin the time to learn this game and every possible fair way to win just because you suck at this game doesn't mean you need to be an annoance to me. it has nothing to do with lag every time I do it, host or not or have it done to me by my friends im very much in the corner epicurus. For you newbs every single excuse is lag thats why with it or not you must learn to play with it. I have, when you engage an enemy the combination of his firing moving and your grenades and moving causes you to lag if your a spy not host. the primary bandwith goes to the mercs, if your in a green ping room mercs are bassically hosts as well seeing in real time. It makes sense seeing as how the spys aren't made for combat anyway. just meke sure not to let the merc move to much them in the corner keeps them still so does shocking them. If you think im wrong epi or anyone else i'll gladly go in a game but the outcome is odvious seeing as how you dont know simple technique established in pandora. Next time know the subject before you go shouting your mouth and embarrasing yourself about a subject completly out of your mental range

Epicurus_13
06-02-2005, 02:08 PM
You may very well be correct about the grab issue not being lag - but don't post a comment calling everyone "newbs" etc. and expect not to get flamed, sunshine. Don't flatter yourself, and just a friendly tip: You're in no position to tell people what their 'mental range' is, m'kay?

oldskool71422
06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I called you a newb http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

SkinsGamersp
06-02-2005, 06:51 PM
If you don't think there is host advantage, you are an idiot and in denial. You are probably one of those losers who won't even play outside of your own room anyway. I don't care if the "force" is with you and you can grab people out of corners, go and play in someone elses room and see if mystical powers are still working just as good. You can see the merc "warp" sideways into your arms. Other times you will be behind someone, and you will hit him instead of grabbing him, whereas the host would have had the grab anytime. Hosts can grab people easier when they are crouching and jumping too. Host grab isn't the only problem either. There is times when the host can kill you very quickly, and on the contrary, when you die very fast when you are the host. I'm not saying it's Ubi's fault or anything, I'm just telling you not to act like your some hero because you can grab people. My attitude is, yeah, host adv. sucks, but when you brag that your good, it really pisses me off. When I get host adv., I can tell and I say, yeah, you got ripped off, not go bragging.

SkinsGamersp
06-02-2005, 08:28 PM
by the way fear, i am sending you a friend request (skinsgamer). I want to play you, me and a friend vs. you and a friend. Another question...How come when I search you on the website stats, you don't show up?

oldskool71422
06-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Well skins I dont know why maybe cause i dont play rank and the little rank i do play is my brothers coming over and playing. Finally I do join other people's rooms all the time when my freing The Pain isn't on witch happens to be very often And i am aware hosts have an advantage but im sorry that you can't play with the lag like some

Epicurus_13
06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oldskool71422:
Well skins I dont know why maybe cause i dont play rank and the little rank i do play is my brothers coming over and playing. Finally I do join other people's rooms all the time when my freing The Pain isn't on witch happens to be very often And i am aware hosts have an advantage but im sorry that you can't play with the lag like some </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can play and try to ignore the lag, but that doesn't change the fact that it exists. Don't mistake people's use of lag as an explanation for strange events as an attempt to cop out of having to admit defeat.

It sounds to me like you have had a bad experience with people blaming lag for their losses and are trying to vent that on us, so that may be the root of our misunderstanding, but please don't assume that you're the only person who "plays with the lag" on this thread.

SkinsGamersp
06-03-2005, 04:43 PM
i'm not saying lag is the problem, I'm saying not to think you're good because you have host advantage. Fear, I sent a request, ACCEPT IT.

routeone
06-03-2005, 06:52 PM
The thing with lag is even if it's really bad, it only causes real problems in a deathmatch so I'd suggest playing more story and we'll all be happy.

Epicurus_13
06-03-2005, 08:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by routeone:
The thing with lag is even if it's really bad, it only causes real problems in a deathmatch so I'd suggest playing more story and we'll all be happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hear hear. When things go well and I'm a spy, I never see a single merc for the whole mission. (esp. on Rivermall.)

routeone
06-04-2005, 09:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hear hear. When things go well and I'm a spy, I never see a single merc for the whole mission. (esp. on Rivermall.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, people seem to have forgotten that this is a game based entirely on stealth.

Medic007
06-05-2005, 01:08 AM
If you get totally slapped around (and seriously, who hasn't at one point), then don't blame it on host connections because you just got owned on (which happens to anyone).

If it happens in an isolated instance, then that was probably host advantage.

Host advantage just seems to be more and more of a cop out nowadays than anything else. I'm not the greatest at this game, but if I have a good partner, I'm pretty good and will hang with anyone. There are still times though when I get absolutely crushed by a team that just really works well together. Just admit when you fairly got beaten and perhaps others will do the same to you when you beat them.

And remember, no matter how good anyone ever thinks they are at this game (or any game for that matter) there is always someone better.

XyZspineZyX
06-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Medic - Are you talking about that level 4 we took down last night (or was that in the wee hours).
But in all seriousness If people play this game the way it should be the merc's should only see your shadow as you are done and gone.

Skins, my one friend always host and he does not have the advantage of grabbing at will (so to speak). At the end of a match all I hear is 'I was right behind you and could not grab, no matter what key I push I could not grab'

With all the complaining going on it is getting hard to tell what is a real problem or just lag, or <span class="ev_code_RED">WORST OF ALL </span>bad players.

Myth2k7
06-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Why would ubi get rid of something thats intentional? Youre supposed to be able to grab from the back end of a mercs arm.

Now, the amount of lag in the game determines whether or not other players will be able to do it. In my games, everyone can do it.

The-Stealth
06-05-2005, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Epicurus_13:
if you're the kind of person who's entertained by being an aggro spy, then you're the kind of person who can't tell an unfair advantage from the hole in your butt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_RED">ROFLMFAO</span> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

SHNAG
06-05-2005, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Silv3rbullet13:
Waht do you guys think about the host grab. For all you people out there that dont no what it is, its when a merc has his back to a wall and the host can still grab him almost like a 180. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks ubi will get rid of it or if its really is true that there is a such thing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you doing with your back to the wall anyways? You call your self a merc!