PDA

View Full Version : Why compress before editing?

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi

I've noticed many of u guys run your fraps-avi through VirtualDub before editing em in your editor.

Why?

Sure, u will make em smaller but u will loose some quality in the process.

Why not edit uncompressed files and then u compress it all together when saving the final movie?

Or is it so that by doing theV-dub thing first the final movie will be even smaller??

Vengeanze

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi

I've noticed many of u guys run your fraps-avi through VirtualDub before editing em in your editor.

Why?

Sure, u will make em smaller but u will loose some quality in the process.

Why not edit uncompressed files and then u compress it all together when saving the final movie?

Or is it so that by doing theV-dub thing first the final movie will be even smaller??

Vengeanze

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 06:19 PM
I am one of the few who does not compress. I record Raw AVI, because I have 2 80 gig hard drives!

Then I convert to wmv. 60 minutes of raw footage took up over 40 gigs of space!

Not everyone has $$$ coin to afford bigger hard drives!

<center><a href=http://www.idloft.com/phpBB2/portal.php>http://www.idloft.com/phpBB2/images/ripper.jpg </a></center>

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Ohh, so it has to do with space only!?

Good to know. Thought I was missing something.

Vengeanze

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 06:44 PM
hi vengeanze,

i also try to keep the quality high. i have made unsatisfying experiences with 2 time compression (before and after editing)
compression should be done as the last step with the final edit. but as ripper said, the problem might be unsufficient hd-space though.
a workaround may be to edit in scenes (or "takes") of not longer than 3 minutes, which result about 1.5gig (640x480, 15fps) v-dub allows to merge them together without recompression, even cut them afterwards (at keyframes). the only think-of are the fades or blends between them parts, which must be considered before.

for the size of the final movie:
it will be as large as your last compression is calculated, no matter what has done before. and only uncompressed (or lossless compressed) source will give you the full scale of desision how your final movie will look and how big it shall be.

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Tnx.

Vengeanze