PDA

View Full Version : Confused GR FAN

minga7870
03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok i know there have been TONS of posts regarding some sort of demo, video, etc..for the pc platform...and to be honest we do have a right to not only be leary about what's happening but a little worried...just a little. I'm going to buy this game regardless WHEN it comes out...but lets be real for a second. Every other game i've ever bought ie: Delta Force, Joint Operations, Men of Valor, Swat suite, Rainbox Six suite, Battlefield2 suite, and tons of others all had pc platform demos AND videos about 1-2 months prior to them coming out. I'm not going to ask why we haven't seen a demo or some sort of pc platform content BESIDES screenshots. I just don't get it...and don't respond to this post and say "oh they can do it how they see fit in their own time"...i understand and respect that..its the lack of info regarding any content. Maybe they are just making the baddest, AI aware, best graphics, 1st person military shooter EVER made and they want to SURPRISE us..if that's the case then all of this will certainly be worth it. I'm not worried about the game not coming out. I just wanted to see something instead of someone posting that they've played it "ColinCJ" and it looks great...wow that's nice..i'm sure it does...can i get a taste? "demo" "pc video"....and please this is from the heart..don't post a reply to this and say that i have broken sentences in my post...i know that...i'm an engineer...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brettzies
03-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Well, I think if all of a sudden the game is "DONE" and we have an orgy of evidence like screenshots, video, demo(s), it'll be a bit wierd. Like, where did all this come from and why didn't they show it before? However, people will be so happy to finally be seeing stuff we'll probably forget about the "why" of it all until GR:AW 2.

Just read through some of these threads and you'll find some "answers." Maybe even today the guys at GRNET will have something to share from thier trip.

DayGlow
03-29-2006, 04:04 PM
personally I think there is an exsclusivity type deal with Agies (or whatever the physics chipmaker is) They do not want to leak anything until it's ready for the market and the marketing will be very tightly tied together.

spm1138
03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah. It occurs to me that media of the game in action could be one and the same as promotional material for the PhysX chip.

Brettzies
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow:
personally I think there is an exsclusivity type deal with Agies (or whatever the physics chipmaker is) They do not want to leak anything until it's ready for the market and the marketing will be very tightly tied together.

Like a free copy of GRAW packaged with the card? Hmmm...could be an interesting deal. I'd rather buy the game first though.

NaRc.op
03-29-2006, 05:02 PM
It would be cool if they did a deal such as buy GRAW PC for $100 but get the physics chip included.

Thump248th
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
The physics chip itself is slated to be $300 on it's own...so expect a combo to be about $330.

SpecOps.Briggs
03-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Wait, what's the deal with this chip I don't understand? We need the chip to play?

phantom110565
03-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by SpecOps.Briggs:
Wait, what's the deal with this chip I don't understand? We need the chip to play?

No, you don't need the chip to play.

In fact, my own personal recommendation is to NOT get the PCI version of this card for 250-300 dollars, and wait for about 4 months or so and get the better PCI-e version of this card instead, and not suffer the performance bottleneck of the PCI bus.

250-300 clams is alot of cash to waste on a PCI card, when PCI is on it's way out.

You will still be able to play a great looking game without the PPU card.

Again, my PERSONAL recommendation:

do NOT waste your hard earned cash on the PCI version. Wait a few more months for the PCI-e version. You'll be alot happier.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
03-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by phantom110565:
In fact, my own personal recommendation is to NOT get the PCI version of this card for 250-300 dollars, and wait for about 4 months or so and get the better PCI-e version of this card instead, and not suffer the performance bottleneck of the PCI bus.

250-300 clams is alot of cash to waste on a PCI card, when PCI is on it's way out.

You will still be able to play a great looking game without the PPU card.

Again, my PERSONAL recommendation:

do NOT waste your hard earned cash on the PCI version. Wait a few more months for the PCI-e version. You'll be alot happier.
Good advice!

cobaka
03-29-2006, 07:02 PM
OK, this is a dumb question but let's face it - what else would you expect from me? Anyway, do PCIe boards come with more than one PCIe slot? Yes, I'm too lazy to look.

Brettzies
03-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by cobaka:
OK, this is a dumb question but let's face it - what else would you expect from me? Anyway, do PCIe boards come with more than one PCIe slot? Yes, I'm too lazy to look.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/asus-a8n32-sli/index.x?pg=1

I may upgrade soon. This is the MB in the system I'm looking at. The 16x slots are for graphics cards and the 4x slot I guess is for the PPU card? But maybe it goes in on of the SLI slots and you give up SLI. Honestly, I don't know. However, there are 3 pci-e slots, two 16x and one 4x, whatever that means.

DayGlow
03-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Brettzies:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cobaka:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4/asus-a8n32-sli/index.x?pg=1

I may upgrade soon. This is the MB in the system I'm looking at. The 16x slots are for graphics cards and the 4x slot I guess is for the PPU card? But maybe it goes in on of the SLI slots and you give up SLI. Honestly, I don't know. However, there are 3 pci-e slots, two 16x and one 4x, whatever that means. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NVIDIA's older nForce4 chipsets are single-chip designs, but the nForce4 SLI X16 has traditional north and south bridge chips. The north bridge serves up 18 lanes of PCI Express, 16 of which are dedicated to the board's first x16 graphics slot. Secondary graphics cards hang off the south bridge, which provides 16 lanes of PCI-E connectivity for graphics and an additional four lanes for additional PCI-E slots and peripherals. With secondary graphics cards hanging off the south bridge, the nForce4 SLI X16's chip-to-chip interconnect is particularly important. NVIDIA uses a 16-bit, 1GHz HyperTransport link to connect the chipset's north and south bridge components, yielding as much bandwidth (8GB/s) between the north and south bridge chips as the chipset has between itself and the Athlon 64 processor.

it has 6 PCIe express lanes left over. Most earlier Sli MB's have only 16 lanes, so if you run Sli, each card runs x8 wide, so there is none left over.

gabber-andy
03-30-2006, 09:38 AM
what will the chip be on a pci-e 16x or 4x .but will thare be pci-e 1x card 2?becous if got 1 16x.
4 pci .and 1 1x.