PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - Black screen + CTD when launching game [+Solution]

bjpet2
12-02-2009, 08:30 PM
When launching the game I see a black screen then crash to desktop with no visible error.

- Tried reinstalling
- UAC disabled
- Antivirus disabled
- Lauched install/game as admin
- Latest nvidia forceware/physx drivers
- Latest directx and vc runtimes
- PC well exceeds requirements even with SLI disabled
- Activation successful

- Windows 7 64 bit
- Quad Core AMD
- Geforce 280 GTX

Now that we've established that I'm not an idiot - can we work out what is causing this issue so I can play the game I payed for?

bjpet2
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I found a solution I hope works for you also:

1) Open file C:\Users\UserName\My Games\Avatar\GamerProfile.xml (in notepad)

2) Search for: Platform="d3d9"

3) Change this to: Platform="d3d10"

4) Search for: Maximized="0"

5) Change to: Maximized="1"

6) Save file and run Avatar

Mikali1408
12-03-2009, 12:20 AM
hi bjpet2,

I've located the file "gamerprofile" but inside, neither one of the two (platform and maximized) is written in it ...

TeeJayPee
12-03-2009, 12:39 AM
No, didn't work for me.
Instead of crashing at the zoom in of the jet, it now just crashes at the load screen after the jet, so i got another 10 seconds of gaming...WooHooo!

We should be able to return games that don't work like this to our retailers, so companies like Ubisoft don't get paid for games that don't work. You guys are Theives!!!

Mikali1408
12-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Amen to that !!
I wonder if there is a Ubisoft guy actually working on the problem or only counting how many games he's selling ... It's been almost 24 hours after I bought and installed the game and there is no indiciation whatsoever that they are looking into the problem ... pitty !!

TeeJayPee
12-06-2009, 04:25 AM
Days & Days and not even one Ubisoft guy seems to come on here to help us out. How unimpressive is that?
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Melius
12-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I am so frustrated. THIS GAME DOES NOT WORK. If you are reading this and contemplating buying this game then DO NOT. IT IS INCOMPLETE AND BUGGY. Ubisoft have released an unfinished game. When I called their tech suipport they told me that this game will not run on a i7 chip, which really is a lot of bullcrap. This game is not running on many systems. I got it from Steam and have asked for a refund and they have never replied. For all you guys who are getting the same run araound let's organize and show our collective outrage at Ubisoft. They are so quick to take the money and then they deceive us. Post everywhere you can and stop people from buying the game. I stopped two people from buying it at Futureshop already (they were at the counter waiting to pay and I was there with other purchases. I told them about the bugs and they removed it from their purchases). Let's all take this action. It's the only way to stop this nonsense. The hours I have lost trying to follow the suggestions in the forums are lost forever. HOURS MAN. HOURS. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK