PDA

View Full Version : Reason for a Small Community? I don't think it's lag

ninjashocker
12-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Hello everyone,

I borrowed my friend's Game Informer magazine the other day to read the article about Splinter Cell 4. They said something very interesting about the online community I think you all should see.

"... but the incredible devotion of some players created a hostile online environment that made it difficult for new players to get into the action."
GI Magazine, p.51

Because you guys are probably the "incredibly devoted" players the article refers to, what is your response? Have you experienced online hostility turning away new players?

CookieCrisp-Ck
12-18-2005, 04:41 PM
i think it is partially true.

I also think it's because of those dutch-bag hosts that quit game after losing, sign on to another smurf game, and play spy again... and continue to do it all day... it gets frustrating, and i'm sure not giving the noobs a chance gets them upset ^_^

eTo-NoSiS106
12-18-2005, 04:41 PM
i wouldnt say its hostility, but people arent very patient with noobs

also the fact that the learning curve is just so big, and the only way to really learn is to get owned over and over again turns alot of people off

plus, people for the most part are stupid and impatient and this game is too much for them

...i guess that could be considered a bit hostile, but most people arent *******s like me ;]

Noisewater-US
12-18-2005, 05:02 PM
west and I started in the beta, and had a heck of a time getting better, but we just played 24/7 and got better, then we caught some lucky breaks with meeting the right people. I think if you're an ok player that's fun to play against, you're fine. The first good team we played was spekkio and remmdog, and we got WHOOPED every game, but we had a good time still. I think it's more the frustration that the new players develop that turns the better players into hostile *****s. West and I were noobs when we got whooped by -US, Ck. and other random players, but we tried to keep a fun attitude. That's what makes the difference I think.

SITHDUKE
12-18-2005, 05:15 PM
See my sig. I'm doing my part and anyone who wants a good introduction to Splinter Cell and someone to ask any questions or advice knows where to come.

The only problem with new players is usually when you get 3 good players and one new player. The good player doesnt like losing because his teammate is incapable of keeping up or helping him and thus begings to insult the new player. If i see people make silly mistakes like leaving their visions on in a celing i'll kill them and explain why they died. That's just me though as some people don't have the patience to explain all the game mechanics, gadgets and maps.

Eclyps3
12-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by ninjashocker:
"... but the incredible devotion of some players created a hostile online environment that made it difficult for new players to get into the action."
GI Magazine, p.51

Because you guys are probably the "incredibly devoted" players the article refers to, what is your response? Have you experienced online hostility turning away new players?

My responce towards that sentence:

F**k off, go home and die. The whole freaking Internet is flooded with hostility. Every game has jack*sses in it's community and there's nothing to be done about it.
I've done my fair share of helping newcommers. I don't deny that I've been flaming them, when annoyed, either. So? It's not like I haven't been flamed ever since I picked up the game. Ever since I picked up Internet gaming, to be exact.
If they want to blame us for the small community - they can hang themselves. Fact is that a HUGE part of the players were chased away by bad support. Period.

ninjashocker
12-18-2005, 07:51 PM
F**k off, go home and die.

Case in point.

J/K, really.

I have had my fair share of insults and "I can't play with this guy." But the separating quality is the realization that without losing, you can't become better. If any of you clan guys see my server, don't hesitate to drop by =)

cheese_thief
12-18-2005, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">F**k off, go home and die.

Case in point.

J/K, really.

I have had my fair share of insults and "I can't play with this guy." But the separating quality is the realization that without losing, you can't become better. If any of you clan guys see my server, don't hesitate to drop by =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hopefully you'll do the same for ours.

element54
12-18-2005, 10:15 PM
i play with newbs pretty often. if i can't get any of my partners in game thein i go play with newbs. just yesterday i was taking turns helping that LIAM2KILL3 kid and his cousin. Teaching them basics and how to play as a team. they actually evolved into better players before my eyes. I was impressed when one actually punched tazed and ran the fark away instead of trying to kill me by himself. as far as being hostile in games well we know one hostile player that just resigned and as for his partner i havn't seen him in a while. there are alot of hostile kids playing in the DM servers and they get especially hostile when you come in with some skill. and it is actually true that good players will get upset with a newb partner who comes into a "good players" server and screws everything up.

oh well i suppose we just got a bad review because the noob who wrote the article came into a game and got his *** kicked around and got upset. pffft, big loss ehh.

Chimera87
12-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by CookieCrisp-Ck:
dutch-bag hosts

i so hope its just a normal expression in english, cuz else i wouldnt know what i did wrong http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

------

the people that are new to the game, should just have the patience to learn the game, dont leave when losing, cuz the only way to learn is to learn of the "pros". Blaming us for the small community is not the problem. imo its the bad support and buggy game. also dm seems to have the biggest hostile community and if u wanna blame hostility, then blame the dm community and not the "even smaller" story community.

Eclyps3
12-19-2005, 02:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">F**k off, go home and die.

Case in point.

J/K, really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know it was going to sound comic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Raakile91
12-19-2005, 07:04 AM
I think I'm chasing away lots of DM players just because I go find a tag server with alternates and stick as a merc to practice sniping (I only do it if there aren't any friends to play with on story however). The little kids get upset because usually they don't stand a chance even if there are three of them and I alone. But that's because they don't know do to play as a team.

If any newb online asks me how do I do all that stuff, I keep on explaining, giving tips and encouraging to play story to get better until the other two guys scream to me press ready. so I think i've doing my part.

I was a big DM newb once, so I know how some DM guys feel about the gamemodes. Usually the reason why they keep on playing tag is because they're afraid of getting pwned so much in story and plain simple deatmatch gives them a safe haven to practice basic spy/merc skills. Advanced tactics can only be learned through months of continous loosing and gamestyle testing.

One example: I always get owned and will get owned by mines and spytraps until it has happened so many times that avoiding every passive defence becomes a reflex or instinct.

NeVerDown144
12-19-2005, 07:55 AM
i hate n00bs not newbs.. if newbs WILLING to learn the game i am not like : go away n00b blabla but if they are not that good and they say they pwn every1 then i hate them ><

Raakile91
12-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by NeVerDown144:
i hate n00bs not newbs.. if newbs WILLING to learn the game i am not like : go away n00b blabla but if they are not that good and they say they pwn every1 then i hate them ><

Hehe, I like to pwn n00bs that say they 0wn everybody and yet accidently shoot their mates with MT on and stuff. Just ignore all the insulting things btw so that they don't get any response, and they'll shup up and leave.

machine_man1_
12-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by cheese_thief:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ninjashocker:

Case in point.

J/K, really.

I have had my fair share of insults and "I can't play with this guy." But the separating quality is the realization that without losing, you can't become better. If any of you clan guys see my server, don't hesitate to drop by =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hopefully you'll do the same for ours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This guy has a glitch with his game or something which doesn't allow him to join other servers, this is why he's asking good teams to join his server.

element54
12-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Raakile91:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeVerDown144:

Hehe, I like to pwn n00bs that say they 0wn everybody and yet accidently shoot their mates with MT on and stuff. Just ignore all the insulting things btw so that they don't get any response, and they'll shup up and leave. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

noobs arn't the only ones who shoot their mates whiles under the cloak of MT.

Random_Hobbo
12-19-2005, 09:38 AM
it takes sometime to get good at versus and when noobs come in to a server with 2 people who have been playing since the game came out cant understandy why the second the see a spy they are suddenly blinded and befor they can say "HELP" their neck is broken. Also penalty have drawn away the new games becasue the leave a game and the see that they have just lost a hundred points. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spekkio9
12-19-2005, 10:25 AM
This game requires a lot of thinking skills to play, along with the typical fast finger reflexes. Most people are dumb as a brick. You do the math.

Raakile91
12-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Spekkio9:
This game requires a lot of thinking skills to play, along with the typical fast finger reflexes. Most people are dumb as a brick. You do the math.

Correct me if I'm wrong but stealth gameplay requires wits and aggro requires those fast fingers. Mixing them up requires both. (if we talk about spies here)

Iryxian2
12-19-2005, 04:41 PM
It get's old helping noobs, plain and simple.

Eclyps3
12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Uh... Iryxian is alive?

Iryxian2
12-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Eclyps3:
Uh... Iryxian is alive? Hola. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BillionMan3001
12-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Yea kinda why I stuck with xbox, because I played it on live from the start. I tryed to move to pc, and I still play only PC in the summer, but I always get owned by clans like Ck, you guys have skills. I dont leave when im host and getting owned, but sometimes when I wasn't host, I would leave because of the lack of competition. On PC, unless I was facing someone just as bad I had no chance.

I definetely would have stuck with PC and practiced more if my computer was sweet like some of yours probably are. But updating PC's seems to get old and expensive, so now ive gone with a 360. Like I have with PT and CT though, I will probably get double agent for 360 and pc. PC has a better community and you seem to play the same people more. On xbox live, unless you add people to your friends list, you never play the same people. The only reson xbox is more attractive to me is because im pretty good at it.

Any other PC players also play xbox? or am I the only one who plays both. As a matter of fact im going to go make a poll topic on this.

Spekkio9
12-19-2005, 07:38 PM
There are pluses and minuses to both community sizes. On the PC, everyone knows each other to some extent, so it's cool to have that kind of community when we're all friends to a certain degree. However, it can get annoying waiting upwards of 30 min to get a game when there are only 20-50 people online. That's where the big Xbox community is better. You can probably hop on and get a game quickly.

ninjashocker
12-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't think I've ever seen it below 50.

This guy has a glitch with his game or something which doesn't allow him to join other servers, this is why he's asking good teams to join his server.
Yeah, thanks Machine. When I asked for help on the forums everyone thought I was an idiot. I vaguely recall being told to go play Sesame street instead.

And I quote:

Wait, f*** that. If people are too stupid to so much as install their game and connect to a server, they don't deserve to play video games. Go play Sesame Street or something, it's much more on your level.
FYI, the error would have been "Your version is not the same as the host's," not "The Game Session is No Longer Available."

An example of hostility towards new players? I think so.

Ah, I love how the issues are so interrelated.

Daedalus.
12-23-2005, 01:09 AM
I think the problem is the steep learning curve that puts off most players. Most people don't want to devote themselves to the game and when they lose their first games.

The ones that do stay however, have to cope with the lack of patches, the many bugs and the netcode.

cheese_thief
12-23-2005, 01:36 AM
I thunk the problem are dutch-bags.

Yea. Dutch-bags.

Spekkio9
12-23-2005, 08:01 AM
I don't think I've ever seen it below 50.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Yeah, thanks Machine. When I asked for help on the forums everyone thought I was an idiot. I vaguely recall being told to go play Sesame street instead.

And I quote:

Wait, f*** that. If people are too stupid to so much as install their game and connect to a server, they don't deserve to play video games. Go play Sesame Street or something, it's much more on your level.
FYI, the error would have been "Your version is not the same as the host's," not "The Game Session is No Longer Available."

An example of hostility towards new players? I think so.

Ah, I love how the issues are so interrelated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> My apologies for being presumptious. However, the vast majority of newcomers don't visit the forums. Some newcomers do deserve hostility, such as if they are guilty of one of the following:

1. They have never bothered to visit a map and learn the basic controls of the game.
2. They shoot their teammate repeatedly because they don't know how to use vision modes.
3. They have their sound settings on "what u hear." When I tell them a detailed, simple stepwise process how to fix it, they either refuse or fail.
4. They insist on being spy immediately. Once we finally convince them to go merc first and they will get their spy round after, they leave in the middle of the round, never to be seen again. Hmmm, maybe that's why the ******* hasn't had a spy round in 2 hours.
5. They don't want to be playing "pros", but they will never open their mouth and ask if the players in the server are skilled, newbies, or whatever. Furthermore, many of these players when asked if they are just moderately skilled will type "yes." Then when you go to a map like Orphanage they go "i kno only club and aqua."
6. They don't know how to do the coop, and refuse to listen when you type "come to me and press T."
7. They ask "how do you perform [insert basic action, such as type-chat]" when the freakin controls are listed in the keyboard settings and instruction manual.

It's just that the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. But it's not just in SC. For any poker players that will understand this, I was in AC one time and there was a $900 pot between two idiots (stakes: $1/$2 No-Limit Hold 'em, $300 max buy-in so both of these guys had more than the max buy-in). There was all sorts of raising and re-raising going on with ever card dealt. Eventually, one guy goes all-in, and the other guy thinks for literally 10 minutes. After which, he calls. Final better had a pair of 4's. Caller had Q-high. I was dumbfounded It's like they just didn't want their money anymore. For those who don't play poker, Q high basically can't win a showdown. It's too bad I wasn't in that hand http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif. But I'm nice to those newbies, because they make my wallet fat. The CT newbies just give me frustration on how people can be so stupid.

Spartan_M.A.D.
12-23-2005, 08:13 AM
I've made it my policy to answer the question,"What button for voice chat"
with
"Alt+F4".

chaosdevil.ct
12-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, I think it's lag http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Bionic-Blob
12-23-2005, 08:28 AM
alt+f4 doesn't work in versus.

Spartan_M.A.D.
12-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Really? Then I should say F12 or w/e it is. You sure about Alt+F4 not working? I could've sworn I used it before. Ah who cares.

Frelli.
12-23-2005, 09:33 AM
I haven't read everything on these pages so this might have been said. Anyway, I think that it's very big diffrent from noob to noob. If I hook up with a noob that i accually nice, wants to learn, and listen to me I have no problem with them. But if there is a noob just sitting in a vent and not saying a word, I find it very anoying.

A second thing is this. If you are playing with your mate you to play against good players and team, playing noobs in this situatuions isn't even fun. So you put the server name to for example "Good players only". If you got noobs joining here its very anoying. And if you are noob and join a server named fe "good players only" it's your own fault if you don't get appreciated.