PDA

View Full Version : Storm Modus gets a bit irritating not only the anti shipping gun

tankeriv
03-28-2005, 03:32 AM
The storm modus gets a bit frustrating now.

I cannot use the gun when the wind speed reaches 7 mps.

This is not realistic because it might not be usable when moving but when your speed is around 1 knot it should be usable.

But except for the gun also AA guns aren't usable.

Currently I have a Type VIIB and last morning I was under attack by two Hurricanes but I couldn't defend myself because a pop-up appeared that I could not man my guns while in storm. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Wind speed was 7 Mps.

But waves did not come at deck and my crew was safe and dry so I wonder why you can't?

Is there a way to modify this in a config file?

tankeriv
03-28-2005, 03:32 AM
The storm modus gets a bit frustrating now.

I cannot use the gun when the wind speed reaches 7 mps.

This is not realistic because it might not be usable when moving but when your speed is around 1 knot it should be usable.

But except for the gun also AA guns aren't usable.

Currently I have a Type VIIB and last morning I was under attack by two Hurricanes but I couldn't defend myself because a pop-up appeared that I could not man my guns while in storm. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Wind speed was 7 Mps.

But waves did not come at deck and my crew was safe and dry so I wonder why you can't?

Is there a way to modify this in a config file?

Varry-USSR-
03-28-2005, 03:34 AM
i have the same problem, i hope it's solvable

Capt.LoneRanger
03-28-2005, 03:44 AM
If the wind and your speed is too high, the deck WILL get washed and guns are unaccessable. I really hope this will be fixed in a way that you CAN man your guns, but you'll loose your men to the sea if you do so.

Some people should be reminded, that the Deckgun was removed from almost all subs, because it was inaccessable 95% of the time due to waves running over the deck. Please, don't forget it's not like getting wet feet. It's like stepping into a fast flowing river, because of sub- and wave-movement. It'd just knock you off your feet.

tankeriv
03-28-2005, 03:51 AM
But not your AA guns.

ApolloFS
03-28-2005, 03:57 AM
Well we should have the option though and risk our men according to:

Wind speed, wave height, precipitation, sub speed, maneuvers, enemy fire, ramming another ship or running aground etc.

Ghworg66
03-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Why can't we use the flak gun in a storm?
There are 4 crewman looking for planes/boats and the flak gun is right next to them.
When they are not washed away by the storm then it wouldn't be a problem for the flakgunner.

Kpt_Zig
03-28-2005, 04:38 AM
It needs to be fixed. Only a violent storm with waves crashing over the deck should render the main gun out of bounds, and the flak should never be out of bounds. Imho.

Tukhachevskii
03-28-2005, 05:03 AM
It's about right as it is now for the deck gun, but you should be able to man the AA guns in any weather that aircraft are going to be flying in.

Jamsque
03-28-2005, 05:36 AM
I agree. The deck gun usage is irritating but realistic, but it should be possible to man the flak guns on the bridge at any time.

u2336
03-28-2005, 05:43 AM
I have to disagree with capt loneranger. The gun was removed because of the impossibility to attack on surface from 1942 to 1945. The aerial and DDs threat was too huge to risk a surface attack. The gun became useless. It was not a sea question, the gun men were secured anyway.

It is true though that the gun couldnt be used in rough seas.
The AA guns not useable during average winds in a real problem.

LoboWulf
03-28-2005, 06:06 AM
The main deck gun could use some tweaking, however the flak gun remains a different issue.

While the main deck gun was employed offensively, the AA gun was not. When a plane showed up, the order was "dive dive dive" not "man the AA gun". Generally, the only time an AA gun was employed was in cases where submerging was not possible due to damage or whatever.

A surfaced sub was never a match for an aircraft.

These observations come to me not only from reading, but from my father who served aboard the USS Bergall (SS328) in the South Pacific from early 1944 until his discharge in 1945. He was a torpedoman 3rd class. Just for the record, I am a Chief Petty Officer in the US Navy myself, w/over 20 years active duty (retire this July).

Ghworg66
03-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Maybe in WW2 they didn't try to down a plane but the could have tried.
So it should be possible in this game
At least you should have the choice to dive or use the flak gun

TASKFORCE1x1
04-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Topic moved to Com. Help April 3 2004.

PoleDoctor
04-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Using the deck gun in calm weather only seems to be OK. As for the flak, it would be interesting to have a historical point of view.
I subscribe to arguments saying that if watchmen can stand on the bridge, so would flak gunners.
Being able to load external torps in heavy seas makes this even more illogical ...