PDA

View Full Version : My Editor Questions Here

elementboardr05
07-31-2005, 10:49 AM
I can't select things in UnrealEd! I finally figured out how to move brushes, but I can't make the geometry get a blue outline and right-clicking doesn't do anything.

Please help, I want to learn to make maps.

elementboardr05
07-31-2005, 12:42 PM
10 views and no one helps me.

Please I'm desperate, I've looked at tons of tutorials and none of them tell me how I can select things, or what they say to do doesnt work.

Iservealot
07-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Yea I guess so. Try Building all?

elementboardr05
07-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Well... I can't seem to add any lights either, so build all just gives me a black space in my 3D view.
I don't know if I'm having technical problems, or if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just completely stupid. What I do know is that I need some serious help with something.

element54
07-31-2005, 02:49 PM
did you read some of the tutorials. you can find them in the stickies. or go here
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2561076052/m/2551034362
read the intro to unrealed. that should help you get started.

gl

elementboardr05
07-31-2005, 05:08 PM
I've seen that thread, none of those help my problem.

I heard that having FSAA on can make it so you cant select things. What is FSAA? How do I turn it off if its on?

elementboardr05
07-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Ok YAY! I fixed it, I told my graphics card driver to let the application decide what kind of anti-aliasing to do and it was all better.

But, when I test my map and try to quit, the box pops up for only a second and goes away, if I'm fast I can click quit but then I can't click on things anymore until I restart my computer.

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2005, 10:55 PM
iirc, F11 exits directly out of the game.

elementboardr05
08-01-2005, 12:48 AM
Yes, I figured out the F11 way, thats no problem.

But after I test the map, I can't select things anymore until I restart my computer. Thats what I need help fixing.

element54
08-01-2005, 03:34 AM
strange... really strange, sorry i can't help.

carmofin
08-01-2005, 05:57 AM
well when you start the game, maybe it changes the settings of your graphics card again and doesnt switch them back.
maybe you should try that manually?

elementboardr05
08-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Yah carmofin, I tried what you said before you posted and it works fine now.

Now I am finally getting into some difficulties that are me just not knowing how to do things.

I'm trying to make a GE on a ledge so a spy can mantle onto it. But I don't know how.

element54
08-01-2005, 10:49 AM
go to 3d view and zoom in on the ledge that you want. hold shift+L and left click on the top corner of the ledge. a purple line should show up. and thats it. rebuild the map and test it out.

gl
keep at it. it gets easier.

elementboardr05
08-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Ahh, shift+L+click. I read something and I was pressing L+click but it wasnt working, thx.

If I have anymore questions I'll post them here, you can count on it. As for my first map, I havent't even started, I'm just doing some things from tutorials and building random rooms and hallways and stuff unitl I know what I'm doing.
I've got a great idea for a map, if I can pull it off.

elementboardr05
08-01-2005, 06:04 PM
When I do "Convert > To Static Mesh" and give it a package name and a name, uncheck "create prefab" and hit OK, the editor crashes. Can I fix this?
I am also looking for a program (free) that is easy to use or learn to use that I can make static meshes with.

Also, is there a way to edit static meshes (like ladders) to be shorter?

elementboardr05
08-02-2005, 11:10 PM
People please! If you know the answers to my questions it would be nice if you could share them.
I'm really trying hard to learn how to do this stuff, but I need some help when I get lost.

element54
08-03-2005, 04:14 AM
to make a ladder shorter or for any SM that is. place the SM in your map. then double click it to get to the properties menue. go to display>display3D> then change the axis dimentions. to change hight change Z. They work like this, 1 is the normal size, 2 is twice the size and 0.5 is half size.

I don't know why the program is crashing when you convert to SM.

as far as external SM programs you can get a copy of maya with the UT2k4 book. "Mastering Unreal Technology". The book has a bunch of tutorials for UnrealED and for Maya. i suggest it if you really wanna start making maps. Check Amazon. i could tell you how to get a copy of 3Ds max for cheap but that would get the thread locked and deleted probably. It wouldn't be much use to you anyhow it is kinda tough to get to know.

elementboardr05
08-03-2005, 08:23 AM
I had this great idea to get more static meshes and textures for myself, because I have Unreal Tournament 2004 I was going to try to open static meshes and texture packages from it.
But the Chaos Theory editor crashes when I do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
is this the editor being stubborn at me again or can it not load textures from another game?

Red_SoN
08-03-2005, 08:35 AM
the packages need to be in the right folder to be opened without crash i guess. also, not all packages are compatible with all eds since theyre different builds. there are other ways to solve that anyways
but u MAY NOT use any UT textures meshes or whatever, because theyre copyright protected....

elementboardr05
08-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I can fall/walk through random parts of my level, into nothing.
And in a very large, specific part of my level, it ignores my subtractions.

Anyone else had this problem? Or know how to fix it?

Dimz420
08-04-2005, 05:23 AM
red son , he can use any textures he wants to , hes not selling their intelletcual property , hes makin a **** mod ...

ive seen countless remakes of counter-strike maps in other unreal games and for various other pc games using their textures and theres no problem with it ...

however if he decides to make a full game with their textures and/or staticmeshes and SELL the game the he would be screwed /.

Red_SoN
08-04-2005, 05:32 AM
he may only use the textures for non commercial projects for the game theyre taken from.
what others did doesnt mean its right, noone cried because they know that its senseless togo after some single mappers who illegally took textures from other gamaes and used em in the maps, but its still not allowed.

Dimz420
08-04-2005, 05:44 AM
think what you want , but its well known theres no problem with doing so ...

Red_Son , you are not an authority figure , nor do you represent a game company , will you please step down to the fitting role you actually play , which is a half wit mapper with opinions about everything and a nack for giving misinformation ?

Red_SoN
08-04-2005, 07:09 AM
i know u dont like me as i dont like u as u might have yet noticed... so whatbaout just stfu and stop commenting my postings

and btw: its no misinformation, its IS forbidden to steal ressources

element54
08-04-2005, 10:41 AM
when did dimz420 get banned? was that just recently or is that his goofy avatar?

anyhow red_son, we do appreciate all the help you give around here and all (i do at least) but you need to lighten up a bit. sometimes no answer is better than a blah blah blahh i know everything answer, even if you are rite. it just saves us from aggrevation and distress.
But on another note it is kinda funny to watch you and some poor (soon to be banned??) shlop beef it out for a few pages.

Red_SoN
08-04-2005, 10:56 AM
its not that i know everything, never said, i originally just said its not allowed as explanation why i didnt explain how exactly to use foreign textures so that there wont be any additional questions...and after they said i would be wrong (what i am not) i repeated it
anyways, no wonder he was banned hehe u know him already (not the first time he was banned)

element54
08-04-2005, 11:10 AM
was that kron? how many **** accounts is he going to go through. what is this his 3rd or 4th?

dimofkron
08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
yes ive been banned , however im very entertaining and seem to be appreciated by one or more of the ubi moderators ...

so red son , lol i wont make fun of you but you dont see the game the way i do . also , USING textures from a different game for non-commercial use is not a violation of copyright or intellectual law ...

and element all i do is help you , but guess what , this " poor shlop " aint helpin you solve any more problems ;though if youre bright enough to not be too pissed youll see the links ive conveniently left in the forums here and follow them .

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
It's more like his 10th or 15th. I haven't counted closely but he's up there with scdude in the number of accounts.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

elementboardr05
08-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Now that you've all got that sorted out...

I'm wondering, what is the main purpose of zones and splitting a level into zones?

Also...
I'm working on a map, I think it has alot of potential, but I do realize that I am limited by what I can do on my own.

Once I'm ready to post some screens of what I've created so far, if anyone would feel like working with me to make my/(our) map good, that would be great. What I really need is someone who can make good static meshes and maybe some textures. Because right now I'm just using meshes from random levels.

dimofkron
08-05-2005, 04:14 AM
i can most likely help in some of static mesh creation and some textures ... email me or add me to msn messenger at : jon_davis_941@hotmail.com

Red_SoN
08-05-2005, 05:01 AM
I'm wondering, what is the main purpose of zones and splitting a level into zones?

first of all, zones are for rendering optimisation. placing there portals in the map splits it into several, well, zones, which will not be rendered as long as theyre not in ur line of sight. thats the main purpose. also, there are antiportals, which actually have the same purpose, they are used for example in huge areas such as terrains and placed in bigger objects in theses areas so that everything behind em will not be rendered as well.
also, zones are used for several other things, u can give them specific ambient sounds which sound everywhere in the zone for example, distance fog or eax effects etc....(theyre set in the zone info actors then which have to be placed there additionally)

and (i still know ur opinion dim so dont even try to comment it) u can still create at least simpe static meshes in the ed through first creating additional brushes, then selecting em, rightclick and convert to static mesh

dimofkron
08-05-2005, 05:11 AM
dude just forget about me , i offered help ,m, if he wants it or now its his preference .

elementboardr05
08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
So, is there a limit to the number of zones a map can have? Lets say my map could be split into many relatively small zones, would that improve the way my map runs?

Also, about making simple SMs in the ed. I can't cause it crashes when I try to.

element54
08-06-2005, 08:02 AM
don't take it the wrong way there dimz. Poor Shlop was a reference to how you (or anyone else for that matter..?) allways get banned but red_son never seems to.
If you ever make it back into the forums, which i bet you will, i think you two just need to stear clear of each other. We could use both of your help around here.

how do you keep getting banned? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

elementboardr05
08-06-2005, 10:46 AM
I've got this pipe, with a GE, going up to a horizontal pipe, with a GE. These pipes are in a vent, 128x128 that is like this
......|
____|
|pipe
|i ...______
|p ..|
|e ..|

anyway, when I crouch and walk into the vent and grab the vertical pipe, my spy's head is in the horizontal pipe, and if I climb up (or down a bit and then up) my spy climbs into the top of the vent and hangs from the horizontal pipe, but with it in his chest.

Anyone know how to fix this maybe?

Red_SoN
08-06-2005, 11:52 AM
can u give us a more detailed drawing because atm i dun understand sh*t ^^

elementboardr05
08-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Like this.
http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/5915/pipeprob9qq.jpg

It only happens when I crawl into the vent from the top, if I climb the pipe from the bottom it is fine.

elementboardr05
08-08-2005, 12:05 AM
I know why it happens, because when you crawl into the vent the spy grabs the pipe too high and has his head already inside the colision.

Any ideas how to prevent that?

gconry18
08-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by elementboardr05:
10 views and no one helps me.

Please I'm desperate, I've looked at tons of tutorials and none of them tell me how I can select things, or what they say to do doesnt work.

use the top side or front views and click on the objects outline and the move it as u move the brush. if it doesnt work your map builder has a bug... hope this helps

elementboardr05
08-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Umm, yah... a little late, I fixed the "not being able to select things" problem a long time ago.

mr.killer1990
08-08-2005, 12:32 PM
I just played it and the ladder no way ur getting 2 that roof dude my xfire is crip102468 if u want some help with ya map and u serously need alot of help so come 2 me and ill help u ok

elementboardr05
08-09-2005, 09:43 AM
How do I rig up vent covers that can break, like in Aquarius or how they can all be triggered at once in Club?
I've looked at the maps, and I see things like SMagicEvent that I have no idea what they are or how they work.

Could someone explain how SMagicEvents work and how to set up exploding vents?

Red_SoN
08-09-2005, 11:37 AM
magic events can be used to trigger multiple events, with delay if necessary

elementboardr05
08-09-2005, 12:14 PM
ok, but how?