PDA

View Full Version : NOTE to devs about PHYSICS and Animations

atacms2020
05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Tom Clancy's EndWar will push the envelope of technology, showcasing artificial intelligence, graphics, physics and animations that were not possible prior to the launch of the new hardware systems.

I know you guys recognize the words from your PR department. What caught my eye was AI, graphics and physics.

There's been a small debate going on the forums as to whether it was necessary to go to next gen consoles to be able to present things that "were not possible prior" to X360 and the PS3. In any case, you guys know what you're doing and why, however I just thought I'd mention what are some features some PC games out now have and the argument that Endwar can do them better if they choose to do so.

They are environmental destruction as in Company of Heroes.

Here's a great RTS game that has been praised in that everyting is destructible and the ways in which it can be destroyed. Damage is incremental and rubble can act as cover. Your article in EGM 216 mentions the importance of cover so I'm hoping this will have rubble that acts as cover, incremental destruction so you don't have a healthbar system of damage, but that damage is accurately animated when a builing is hit. In other words the building visually degrades with each hit until it's completely destroyed.

Company of Heroes also has the interesting feature that allows you to break down walls with a tank. It increases realism and gameplay since you've opened up a breach in an unexpected area and can now flank your enemy. This has a fun gameplay factor and realism factor too. In Endwar, I'm hoping you could do this and have ground troops create breaches in buildings so that you don't have to enter through the doorway where an ambush is expected. This is what the USMC did in Fallujah and what the Israelis did in Lebanon. Not trying to point out political issues rather highlight current tactics and how they can be emulated in your game.

Another "next gen" physics feature would be to have collision detection so that if a piece of a structure (ie building) fell off and hit nearby units then that rubble would cause damage to those units. Gamplay would be increased because you could target certain structures to impede the path of an enemy convoy or time something to destroy them with collateral damage from a structure.

Animations. I noticed in some screenshots that the US has the Comanche helicopter. Hopefully there has been enough detail into the animations for example to have the Comanche extend its weapons pylon holding Hellfires or better yet the JCM (Joint Common Missile) only when it's ready to fire. There's no point in having a stealthy Comanche increasing its RCS (radar cross section) with its retractably launchers extended IF it doesn't have to. My point being is that as Tom Clancy fans, some of us pay attention to details. And for those who don't, well they will just think it looks cool.
Come to think of it, this could even become a gameplay feature where you increase the radar signature of the Comanche if you have the retractable launcher deployed.

Anway look forward to your comments.

atacms2020
05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Tom Clancy's EndWar will push the envelope of technology, showcasing artificial intelligence, graphics, physics and animations that were not possible prior to the launch of the new hardware systems.

I know you guys recognize the words from your PR department. What caught my eye was AI, graphics and physics.

There's been a small debate going on the forums as to whether it was necessary to go to next gen consoles to be able to present things that "were not possible prior" to X360 and the PS3. In any case, you guys know what you're doing and why, however I just thought I'd mention what are some features some PC games out now have and the argument that Endwar can do them better if they choose to do so.

They are environmental destruction as in Company of Heroes.

Here's a great RTS game that has been praised in that everyting is destructible and the ways in which it can be destroyed. Damage is incremental and rubble can act as cover. Your article in EGM 216 mentions the importance of cover so I'm hoping this will have rubble that acts as cover, incremental destruction so you don't have a healthbar system of damage, but that damage is accurately animated when a builing is hit. In other words the building visually degrades with each hit until it's completely destroyed.

Company of Heroes also has the interesting feature that allows you to break down walls with a tank. It increases realism and gameplay since you've opened up a breach in an unexpected area and can now flank your enemy. This has a fun gameplay factor and realism factor too. In Endwar, I'm hoping you could do this and have ground troops create breaches in buildings so that you don't have to enter through the doorway where an ambush is expected. This is what the USMC did in Fallujah and what the Israelis did in Lebanon. Not trying to point out political issues rather highlight current tactics and how they can be emulated in your game.

Another "next gen" physics feature would be to have collision detection so that if a piece of a structure (ie building) fell off and hit nearby units then that rubble would cause damage to those units. Gamplay would be increased because you could target certain structures to impede the path of an enemy convoy or time something to destroy them with collateral damage from a structure.

Animations. I noticed in some screenshots that the US has the Comanche helicopter. Hopefully there has been enough detail into the animations for example to have the Comanche extend its weapons pylon holding Hellfires or better yet the JCM (Joint Common Missile) only when it's ready to fire. There's no point in having a stealthy Comanche increasing its RCS (radar cross section) with its retractably launchers extended IF it doesn't have to. My point being is that as Tom Clancy fans, some of us pay attention to details. And for those who don't, well they will just think it looks cool.
Come to think of it, this could even become a gameplay feature where you increase the radar signature of the Comanche if you have the retractable launcher deployed.

Anway look forward to your comments.