PDA

View Full Version : Type VII B slowdown?

mnordby
10-06-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm on my 3rd patrol in Nov '39 with a Type VIIB. On my first two patrols, I'm pretty sure my typical speeds would be 3kts submerged at Ahead Slow, 4kts or so at 2/3. Surfaced I'd typically do about 6kts at 2/3, 10 at Standard. All of a sudden I'm down to 1 or 2 kts submerged at Slow (non silent running). The surface is rough, but not extremely so. Is this a bug, or just the game responding to wave conditions?

Sandeu
10-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I have found rough water to effect speed, but I also found out that the experience level in your engine room, if high enough, will squeeze out an extra knot or 2

lecek
10-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Also possible is that you are diving/sufacing or turning or both. They can slow you down to 2 knots.

The surface conditions only affect you near the surface.

TooFastForLove.
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Are you running GW mod? It seems to feature some sort of engine damage wich occours randomly. I found the only way to get rid of it is to save your game, exit the game and reload.

mnordby
10-07-2006, 02:25 PM
The slowdown occurs regardless of whether I'm diving, rising or maneuvering. It occurs all the time. I have my engine room green bar all the way to the right.

I AM running GW, and I hope to see things improved next time I fire up the game.

Bootsmann0815
10-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Another reason is possible random damage / sabotage if you use the free-standing add-on SH3Commander 2.6.

Regardless whether your damage is GW- or SH3C - induced, it will repair itself next time you visit your home port, so on your next patrol you should be fine (but may experience this, or another, random failure, of course).

The worst of these random failures in my opinion is the failure that introduces errors in depth-keeping. In heavy seas it will be almost impossible to keep periscope depth for any length of time without at least some speed in the boat.

VikingGrandad
10-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TooFastForLove.:
Are you running GW mod? It seems to feature some sort of engine damage wich occours randomly. I found the only way to get rid of it is to save your game, exit the game and reload.
I'm fairly sure that's nothing to do with the GW mod - it's a feature of SH3 Commander 2.6, as Bootsman mentioned.

mnordby
10-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Hmmm.....I don't recall enabling any such thing, but it might be a standard feature that's always on. Maybe it'll improve when I upgrade to a VII C.

Bootsmann0815
10-07-2006, 09:45 PM
SH3 Commander is a free-standing add-on, not a standard feature of SH3. You only have it if you've downloaded and installed it, and then launched the main game through it.

I can't remember experiencing random equipment failures in stock SH3, at least not after the third patch came out (initially there were a few glitches with various pieces of equipment). Patching the game with all three patches, or with the combined patch 1.4b, takes care of that.

Everything else must have been separately downloaded/purchased and then installed by you, whether supermods, smaller mods, or add-ons. If you have done that, remove them individually and go back to previous states to see which one was responsible for the problem.

IF you have SH3 Commander, the only way to get rid of the additional random failures is to delete or rename the eight Ramdom cfg files (a general one and seven year specific ones).

mnordby
10-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I began my 4th patrol and everything's fixed. I'll keep those Randomized events cfg's in mind in case I get into some real trouble with this feature down the road.