PDA

View Full Version : Think my best bet is to jump of my 'Journey' for awhile:

thxphotog
12-01-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm a reletive noob on the gtr and have a little over 2 million RSPs.

Right now my journey's set-list has the Stones 'Spider and the Fly', Tom Petty's 'Good Enough', a Clapton song etc. I barely qualified the Stone's & Clapton tracks and am painfully stuck on the Petty song. I just can't seem to find comfortable hand/finger movements from one note to the next.

So my plan is to go back and just pick and practice songs I enjoy playing and get better & better at cleanly finding the correct strings/notes/chords etc so when I go back to these 'qualifiers' on my journey I'll do better and it will be a more productive use of time.

Anyone else take this or a similar path?

caldaar
12-01-2011, 08:12 AM
well, I am somewhat new too. If I have trouble with a song, I will bounce out... Play some guitarcade games. Or play a song that I have already played. Some of the Muse and Black Keys songs are fun to jump back to. Then I come back to the journey. Or, I will try to remember the rift or chords that I am having trouble with and practice them offline.

Funk-n-Stein
12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
another option is to replace or remove the song in the event manager

rhust
12-01-2011, 08:26 AM
the early events are so easy to qualify for that you end up doing the event without knowing the song at all... I considered re-starting so I could completely learn many of the songs, and hopefully get more double encores... I can get an encore every time, I thought the encore was a given, actually... but I've only gotten 1 double, because you never know what the encore will be http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif the one double I eared I got lucky and got "song 2" as the encore

thxphotog
12-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Funk-n-Stein:
another option is to replace or remove the song in the event manager

I didn't know you could remove a song. Hmmm. will definitely check that out. Having said that I can't wait to be able to play that Petty song when I can. It's pretty intense!!

Thanks for the tip!

caldaar
12-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Just remember, the double encore is usually a song that you haven't played much. So, I wouldn't load up the event too much with easy songs.

thxphotog
12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by caldaar:
Just remember, the double encore is usually a song that you haven't played much. So, I wouldn't load up the event too much with easy songs.

10-4, thanks!

Racherik
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
You could take the path I did. And just restart all over. Depending on your skill improvement, at only 2 million points you can probably get them all back in 2-3 hours.

But when you do, you might want to never level your songs much past the minimum to qualify.

I did this when a friend of my played my account by accident and uber leveled the song ICGNS. Even after 8 hours of practice I couldn't get it. So I just deleted my saved data and started again. Turned out it was for the best.

Until the practice tools are fixed (No 5 lives & lockable tempo) this is the route I would take.

Racherik

Funk-n-Stein
12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I did this when a friend of my played my account by accident and uber leveled the song ICGNS. Even after 8 hours of practice I couldn't get it. So I just deleted my saved data and started again. Turned out it was for the best.

Until the practice tools are fixed (No 5 lives & lockable tempo) this is the route I would take.

Racherik

You realize you can go into settings or options (can't remember exact menu item) and switch all songs to minimum difficulty without deleting game save data?

Dunny10
12-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I have done a similar thing.
It felt like I was cruising through the events and not really learning the songs. At about 2 million points, I stepped back. I went through every song I have played (about 20) to improve. If I failed, I improved an 'associated technique'. At the end of a session, I play a guitarcade game.

I think I really want to master what has been given already before I move on.

I went from about 2.5 million points to almost 3 million just from improving what I have. I have made some goals, like master five songs, golding every technique given so far, and topping guitarcade scores before I move on to new songs.

nyrang
12-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I did this when a friend of my played my account by accident and uber leveled the song ICGNS. Even after 8 hours of practice I couldn't get it. So I just deleted my saved data and started again.

I thought you have the option to reset any given song to the minimum mastery level. Never tried myself, however.

KilaRoach
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Don't ignore the Guitarcade games. They are great for learning the fret board and improving muscle memory. I usually do a run through of each of the guitarcade games as a warmup for each session. Also the Technique challenges are good too. First go through and try to bronze medal each one, then silver, then gold. I still have yet to get gold on a couple of them.

Drunkbiker
12-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I know this might not work for everybody since not everybody has the same experience on guitar, but what I have been doing is actually reaching a score of at least 90,000 on each song before performing the event and move onto other songs in "my journey". I basically force myself to really learn the songs instead of just qualifying for the event and move on.

As far as learning complicated parts "the leveler" is my favorite approach,..and use your ears, once you get good enough you'll be able to actually play all those little nuances in the song (which are not indicated in Rocksmith) and the game will not penalize you for over playing as long you hit the right notes.

Funk-n-Stein
12-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Drunkbiker:
I know this might not work for everybody since not everybody has the same experience on guitar, but what I have been doing is actually reaching a score of at least 90,000 on each song before performing the event and move onto other songs in "my journey". I basically force myself to really learn the songs instead of just qualifying for the event and move on.

I do this for most songs as well, unless it's something I don't really like, then I will generally just learn it well enough to qualify.

madeofsticks
12-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I think this is the conclusion that I'm reaching, too. I play songs well enough to qualify, and then move on and never feel like I'm getting better than "slightly not-horrific" at any song.

Another option is to replace songs on the journey with ones you've already done, it sets the next qualify level to be higher. So if you had needed 25k pints last time you played it, you might need 60-70k this time.

PSN.Buffalony
12-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by caldaar:
well, I am somewhat new too. If I have trouble with a song, I will bounce out... Play some guitarcade games. Or play a song that I have already played. Some of the Muse and Black Keys songs are fun to jump back to. Then I come back to the journey. Or, I will try to remember the rift or chords that I am having trouble with and practice them offline.

Good post. Sums it up exactly for me. There is enough to do in this game that it can literally keep the guitar in your hands for hours at a time.

Landozelig
12-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Someone pointed this out already, but it's worth repeating.

The better you get at a song, the harder it is to qualify for an event. I'm at about 8.5 million and most of the songs require 90,000 to qualify for an event now.

The problem is, some of these songs I was just messing around with weeks ago and didn't bother to really learn them, just ran through a couple of times. Now I need 90K to qualify and the songs are pretty leveled up and throwing massive notes at me. Takes a couple of times to remember them. Let's face it, most of these songs weren't on my radar before this game (although they're all on my iPod now).

So if you're new to the game, I wouldn't spend too much time leveling up a song before an event unless you want to play it all the time and really master the song. For me it's the 2 muse songs. I play those maybe 10x every time I start Rocksmith.

ZumaRocks
12-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm on PS3, what I've done so far: Started the Journey, played a few events, unlocked one song, Ricochet. My next event, Ricochet was the encore, I failed horribly. Decided to play every song at least once so that I would have at least heard it if it came up on an encore. Played every song, some more than once if I really liked it. Reached the point where I can't play events without crashing, even if I pull the events down to four songs.

I want to be able to unlock all the bonus songs. Decided to start over. Created a new profile and copied all my game data to it. Started over with my original profile. What I'm doing now: Logging in with my wife's profile to play an event and learn the songs, hopefully find out what the encore and double encore are. Learn those. Log back into my profile and play the event.

I'm hoping to have all the bonus songs unlocked by the time the PS3 crashes are fixed. At that point I'll just stick with my own profile.

Drunkbiker
12-01-2011, 04:53 PM

I do this for most songs as well, unless it's something I don't really like, then I will generally just learn it well enough to qualify.

ya should we talk about the Jenny O song? hahaha

why was even included in Rocksmith I don't know, there is nothing guitar worthy on that songs. To me sounds like Jenny O barely picked up a guitar herself and learned how to play.

Jenny O: "oooh look I learned 2 chords let's make a song with it!"

Augster8
12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Another thing I do if I can't get the song, I'll go into event manager and do a different version of the song if there is one. Most of the songs they give you are combo songs. So I change it to single note or chord, then qualify with that as it's usually much less than the qualifier for the combo.

aetherech0s
12-02-2011, 06:10 AM
I played through the journey until In Bloom, had a bit of trouble, then jumped out to practice a few older songs. The next day i blew past it easily. Later, Ricochet came up as a double encore and i failed it, but after doing scale runner and a few tech challenges i went back and got 80% or so on it. Its amazing how a little bit of practice on other things improves your performance on unrelated songs.

Funk-n-Stein
12-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Yep, that's one that I qualified for an event it was in and never touched since. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the on-disc songs. Good variety of styles and techniques.

rhust
12-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I think some of this is because the qualify score is so low... then it falls off your "journey" and you have to go back into the songs section in order to keep going on it.. I fell victim to this too, and almost wish I could start over, without losing the progress on songs, just start over at the early events and practice on the songs to get higher scores, and learn the song better, without having to constantly go back through the menu. to get the "songs"

Mad_Duck_03
12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Funk-n-Stein:

why was even included in Rocksmith I don't know, there is nothing guitar worthy on that songs. To me sounds like Jenny O barely picked up a guitar herself and learned how to play.

Jenny O: "oooh look I learned 2 chords let's make a song with it!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OT, but when she opened for Ben Harper, she lost her capo while tuning.
It took 8 guys yelling from the crowd "It's on your mic stand!" for her to 'remember' where she had clipped it the minute before.
I realize people get nervous on stage, but she needs more time strumming acoustic in a small coffee shop before she goes public again.

Drunkbiker
12-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Mad_Duck_03:

OT, but when she opened for Ben Harper, she lost her capo while tuning.
It took 8 guys yelling from the crowd "It's on your mic stand!" for her to 'remember' where she had clipped it the minute before.
I realize people get nervous on stage, but she needs more time strumming acoustic in a small coffee shop before she goes public again.

really? haha

Let me tell you, playing acoustic guitar in a big venue can be kinda intimidating.

Many years ago I played at the Hollyood Bowl during the "taste of Hollywood" music festival and as soon as I hit the first chord on my guitar I was like "holy crap!!" ...was kinda weird hearing your little acoustic guitar playing trough few thousand watts of amplification, specially in a quiet setting when you hear the sound coming from your monitors follow by a delayed loud sound bouncing off the seating of the crowd. It was really hard to stay concentrate of what I was playing.

And talking about Jenny O I had no idea who she was before Rocksmith.... had to google her *** :-)

Racherik
12-02-2011, 04:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Racherik

You realize you can go into settings or options (can't remember exact menu item) and switch all songs to minimum difficulty without deleting game save data? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't need the song easier, I need the qualifing ladder to be lower.

I had just started learning guitar 5 days earlier.

Think how many hours it would take a first time player to play some of those songs at better than +90,000.

Racherik

Drunkbiker
12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Racherik:

Think how many hours it would take a first time player to play some of those songs at better than +90,000.

Racherik

As much as I agree that for a new player is not that easy to reach those scores to qualify ...consider that people with more years of guitar under their fingers like me qualifies at the first try. Maybe rocksmith should add an option for a "pro" scoring setting making it so that higher your level of proficiency and score achieved on the songs previously played, higher the score will become to qualify on the next songs

Javasaur
12-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Right now, I'm not even playing Rocksmith as a game and I don't pay much attention to events, points and that sort of thing. I have played a couple of them. I've mastered maybe 10 songs that I can play at 95% or better. I have about 2.6 million points. I probably could jump my points up by "playing the game" so to speak, but right now I'm not interested. I'm just trying to learn to play some songs and improve my guitar skills.

Racherik
12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Racherik:

Racherik

As much as I agree that for a new player is not that easy to reach those scores to qualify ...consider that people with more years of guitar under their fingers like me qualifies at the first try. Maybe rocksmith should add an option for a "pro" scoring setting making it so that higher your level of proficiency and score achieved on the songs previously played, higher the score will become to qualify on the next songs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>as a noob I think that. RSP should mean something. The skill level should be user selectable, but qualifying shouldn't raise so fast.