PDA

View Full Version : Riff repeater 5 attempt limit? Why?

gumbomombo
11-03-2011, 03:47 AM
I am an experienced player and unless you are a guitar God it will take more than 5 attempts to get a fraction of the solo in Freebird. All three modes in riff repeater: accelerator, leveler, and free speed limit the attempts to 5. It gets annoying real fast having to go through the save process and selecting play again, checking tuning again and finally to the practice!

I usually use guitar pro, you highlight the measures you wish to practice, set it to loop (or loop with increasing speed) and you can practice until your fingers are no more.

All modes should just continue playing over and over again from start to end looped with a rest in-between. It should be continuous, hence RIFF REPEATER! This way the notes get committed to muscle memory a lot quicker instead of what we have now 5 fails followed by 30 second interruption followed by 5 fails ...

This design flaw itself makes me wonder the role actual guitarists had in the development of the design. I mean anyone who has SOME experience knows the importance of uninterrupted brute force repetition.

I usually play the song one time through and hit up riff repeater and learn each section one by one and finally I rehearse and then event. This is in accord with traditional learning methods and the "learn each section one by one" is the most time consuming.

UbiSoft please fix this. Put it to loop until played correctly or student quits. Or just let us pick an arbitrary number instead of you picking of us!

JackDeagon
11-03-2011, 03:54 AM
@Gumbomombo -

Welcome to the official forum for Rocksmith, our hub for the "latest news and updates regarding Rocksmith"...Let me catch you up real quick. Ubisoft has made it clear to all of us we will not be receiving any kind of relevant news you can't find elsewhere. Sorry for the disappointment.

gumbomombo
11-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Where is "elsewhere?" This forum was accessed through rocksmith.com, people who most likely own the game come here, how is it that they have sidelined us? Oh, right, we already blew the 80 bucks...

The fix could be as easy as changing the value of a single variable. I am sure plenty of people are complaining about this, or if not they will sooner or later when they progress to more difficult songs.

Start a petition!

gumbomombo
11-03-2011, 04:06 AM
@JackDeagon-

Oh and thank you for the welcome, great to be here!

ssceng
11-03-2011, 06:29 AM
I agree. I would love to be able to turn off the 5 attempt limit to simply practice with repeater and accelerator.

Uplayname19746
11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Second. I was going to bring up the issue. It seems to me like the more your screwing up the more you need to practice. Why! Why! Did they set it up like this?

StillVertical
11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Ditto. I'm 59 and thought this would be a unique way to spice up my practice. Having to stop, pick up the controller, wait for the tuner, and then start over is driving me (within the first week) to consider giving this game to some friends of my kids. A looping function is a necessity.

gumbomombo
11-04-2011, 12:33 AM
@StillVertical

I also have been contemplating returning this game or giving it away as a gift.

The 5 attempt limit is a huge negative. Plus, we cannot choose multiple measures..riffs.. to practice, it limits it to small sections that fly by in seconds. It would have been great to learn one riff and select it together with the subsequent riff and so on and so forth, furthering the encoding to muscle memory. This is how I practice outside of rocksmith, this is how my instructor taught me, and this is how millions practice.

The lead designers were themselves beginners, I am sure they had input from guitar instructors/players, but from the looks of it, these instructors/players probably had little influence on the actual design. Loops and measure selections would have been my FIRST suggestion to the developers. 5 attempts seems arbitrary and sloppy.

Maybe, it is some sort of limitation on the software, but as a graduate of comp sci, I can tell you this is highlllyyyy unlikely and the fix could be as simple as changing the value of a single variable. But, since the riff repeater is so intertwined with the other parts of the game, this might be a tough one to fix. Who knows really, I don't have access to the project files.

What's worse is that they are not responding to the community.

Another suggestion would have been actually writing the number of the fret on the colored blocks much similar to that of tablature. That way, once beginners are finished with the game they could pick up tablature much easier and suffer like millions of others on timing.

In fact, the whole color block system in my opinion is much tougher than just reading tablature. With tablature you have the entire song in front of you and you can divide it into small bits (OF YOUR CHOICE) according to difficulty and set goals. Personally, I, make it as systematic as possible, writing dates (which are really goal deadlines) of when I wish to have a particular section down 100% (or atleast near it), I also write little memos around notes which are in alignment with a chord shape (or close to it).

All in all this game is in competition with just paper lol and as of right now I can't really say the game is much better than just using justin's website and tablature. I had 2 lessons in the beginning ($$$$$), one guitar class at a local community college at night (25 bucks), and an introductory music theory class at my school (a bit costly, but fulfilled a requirement). I often use Justin's website, people I know, and most importantly I just try to practice consistently.

The pitch detection is not 100% either, but that's another story, and it's really apparent when your playing chords. The beginner will think they are playing the chord correctly, but I am certain of how to hold an A chord, and I know when my fingers are off, but rocksmith just doesn't because the pitch algorithm probably has a margin of error and if your close but not exact it will give you the point anyway. This is probably due to the nature of the signal, it doesn't come in small tid bits (packets) like buttons would have, it is more of stream and it is up to the software to break it apart. Ok ill stop now I can write on for pages about this. We are dealing with signal(input) -> pitch algorithm -> output. There is a lot of things that can go wrong in this process.

Try playing an Am instead of an A chord in the chord version of satisfaction, you will notice that it sometimes does not distinguish between them.

The game in my opinion needed a few more months + a public beta release.

Goooner1
11-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by gumbomombo:
@StillVertical

The game in my opinion needed a few more months + a public beta release.

Didn't you know, those of us that paid $80 are the public beta http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif