PDA

View Full Version : Can Not Compute Solution For Aft Tubes (Ballistic Firing)

CptGlub
09-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Very rough water
PK off
Target Speed 0
Combat Scope pointed at 180
Fat Freighter slogging across the stern approx 300 yds away
I'm eyeballing it...
wait for it...
almost there...

FIRE!

[can not compute solution for aft tubes] or some such nonsense

was that the Chief snickering under his breath?

I don't need a firing solution. I just need a GD torp straight out the aft tube!

What steps do I need to take to fire ballistically out the front or back of the boat?

Wolferz
09-21-2011, 06:11 AM
It's one of those niggling little bugs that was never fixed. You can't fire stern tubes without a solution. No lock, no solution, no firing.

MWolfe1963
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Wolferz:
It's one of those niggling little bugs that was never fixed. You can't fire stern tubes without a solution. No lock, no solution, no firing.

I can, guess it was corrected by TMO. I don't recall ever having that problem. I fire unlocked all the time.

pnwdom
09-21-2011, 03:23 PM
At 300 yds, your torpedo would not of had time to arm anyway(you need 500 yds), and it would of just bumped into the hull.

paulhager
09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by CptGlub:
Very rough water
PK off
Target Speed 0
Combat Scope pointed at 180
Fat Freighter slogging across the stern approx 300 yds away
I'm eyeballing it...
wait for it...
almost there...

FIRE!

[can not compute solution for aft tubes] or some such nonsense

was that the Chief snickering under his breath?

I don't need a firing solution. I just need a GD torp straight out the aft tube!

What steps do I need to take to fire ballistically out the front or back of the boat?

I use TMO 2.2 - I've never had the problem. You MUST input the direction the scope/TBT is pointing by clicking on the range input device. You could also spin the dial (though I don't think it's necessary) to input, say, 1,000 yards or some similar value before clicking on input (send to TDC). Then hit the fire button as needed.

The only time I make use of it is to use the refit trick when I'm buying expensive torpedoes. I buy the torpedoes and put them in reserve, fire the torpedoes in the tubes, load the researves, then hit refit. Voila! I now have obtained a full load of the required torpedoes.

merc4ulfate
09-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Torpedoes will actually arm after 350 yards ... at least that is what all those Japanese sailors are saying at the bottom of the ocean. I have done that a lot especially out the aft tubes at destroyers coming behind me. I have hit them at 400. You just have to make sure they can travel the 350 first so don't let them close in to much. It kills me when they speed up LOL

I do hate not being able to fire without a solution however. The best I have done was go to periscope depth, get a lock, drop periscope while diving deep then change settings ... I normally do this when using the homing torpedoes.

I have noticed that if you do not have at least a half way decent solution they may go in the wrong direction even with all the noise they make up there.