PDA

View Full Version : Single player is AWESOME, and i hope for a new multiplayer game

Knootewoot
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
First of all i want to say that i think the single player game is AWEsome. I was always a big heretic/hexen fan and since those type of games died horribly, maybe Dark Messiah will resurrect them.

What i really like is that you can see your own body in 1st person. I liked that in the thief games and in operation flashpoint. Somehow i can immerse myself better in the game when i see my body instead of being a floating something.

But why (is my question) why can't this be done in multiplayer. I remember playing deus ex multiplayer and breaking into enemy hq's lockpicking and stuff.

This would be great for multiplayer. Thiefs which can lockpick into enemy base and players that can see there own body when looking down.

Multiplayer is still fun, but i was a bit disappointed in it. But the single player rocks (although a bit short and the end boss was too easy)

Sorry for my bad english

Knootewoot
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
First of all i want to say that i think the single player game is AWEsome. I was always a big heretic/hexen fan and since those type of games died horribly, maybe Dark Messiah will resurrect them.

What i really like is that you can see your own body in 1st person. I liked that in the thief games and in operation flashpoint. Somehow i can immerse myself better in the game when i see my body instead of being a floating something.

But why (is my question) why can't this be done in multiplayer. I remember playing deus ex multiplayer and breaking into enemy hq's lockpicking and stuff.

This would be great for multiplayer. Thiefs which can lockpick into enemy base and players that can see there own body when looking down.

Multiplayer is still fun, but i was a bit disappointed in it. But the single player rocks (although a bit short and the end boss was too easy)

Sorry for my bad english

tadaeusas
12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Knootewoot:
But the single player rocks (although a bit short and the end boss was too easy)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's why patch is coming out! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MeEatOrc
12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah, the fact that you can see yourself helps the immersion. They also did it like that in F.E.A.R, and there you also cast your own shadow, which helped even more, but sometimes my own shadow scared me a little http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Knootewoot
12-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. In thief3 i also was scared of my own shadows sometime and i dropped my coffee on my keyboard then.

Im going to play single player again, and now as a wizard instead of a thief.

syncourt
12-09-2006, 04:27 AM
I thought dark messiah had self shadows aswell when shadows are up high?
I could have sworn I seen it in the demo before I turned them down.

roftlovesgames
12-09-2006, 05:17 AM
This game should have received a much lower meta score. You can't judge it only on the Single player. With the multilayer thrown in, it pulls it down to a below average game.

I suspect most people would have been happier to purchase the single player for $30. Heck, the multilayer isn't worth more than $5 considering the level of development that went into it.

MeEatOrc
12-09-2006, 05:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roftlovesgames:
I suspect most people would have been happier to purchase the single player for $30. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've thought about that, too.. I might even have paid 40$ for just sp, but that's because I live in super expensive Norway, where a game like DM cost around 75$ if you buy it in a store. So basically I saved 25 bucks by buying it over Steam.

lasse111
12-09-2006, 05:38 AM
hmm.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif I like multiplayer. funny, cool system and stuff. though still some bugs that i am sure kuju will take care of in time. ( Also new maps, mods, bug fixes and sdk for editing your own map )

I just heard that Kuju wanted to work further ( on colusium for example )
So it was probably the release date there was to early on it. ????

So if Kuju really did do such a bad work, maybe you should recommend to ubi/arkane that you can do it better'? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

roftlovesgames
12-09-2006, 05:45 AM
You obviously haven't been playing when I log in and feel like being a Jerk with Lorb. Not uncommon to get 50-70 kills easy at lvl 7+.

Though I can get equally as many kills with lightning bolt alone, it takes more effort and timing. That and people have a chance in heck at actually countering it.

Don't get me wrong, I really really want this game to fulfill it's potential. I love the genera and the tech driving it. I'm just extremely disappointed so far in the lackluster balancing, even though it was said to be a problem during beta. (which I participated in a fair many discussion during. Guess the beta was for nothing.)

lasse111
12-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Well, yes kuju did make mage way to powerfull.

lightning orb / fireblast = powerfull mage

(Though there is those people who say "noo! i play mage and i never ever never ever take fireblast und der lightning orb!"
.. Though that is just a bad excuse for being a lightning orb / flame arrow spammer mage, which seemse to be as good as lightning orb/fireblast mage)

Although Kuju did make mages yes.. But then it isnt really them there are ruining the game.. that is people who still play mages, even that they know it is unfair.

--------------
You obviously haven't been playing when I log in and feel like being a Jerk with Lorb. Not uncommon to get 50-70 kills easy at lvl 7+.
--------------

Well if i haven't been playing, how could i talk about it?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But i do play Dark Messiah Multiplayer Warrior Class<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

roftlovesgames
12-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I ment the times when I playe (north america) you more than likely do not. Just got done on a Euro server (seem to be the only ones with some population) and I made alot of new friends with my Lorb.

I wasn't saying that you hadn't played at all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SlyHawke
12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
You know what this single player vs multiplayer senario reminds me of? Half-Life and Half-Life Death Match. In the Beginning, I loved Half-Life but when I started playing the multiplayer, I wondered what happened. Why was the gun suddenly in the middle and whats with all these wigged out guns. I then stopped playing it and swithed to CS, but once the source verson of HLDM came out, I loved it. I do like the multiplayer, but for all of those out there who are upset about it and think they want thier money back, I say don't go forgeting about it just yet. Give it time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

lasse111
12-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Well you are a good example rofllovesgames!

Tell me why do you use Lightning orb?? (Lorb)
You know that it ruins other people gameplay and make them angry as you just said.
So please! Share your knownlegde, why do you do it??<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

poireaux
12-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Because he is stupid.

roftlovesgames
12-10-2006, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lasse111:
Well you are a good example rofllovesgames!

Tell me why do you use Lightning orb?? (Lorb)
You know that it ruins other people gameplay and make them angry as you just said.
So please! Share your knownlegde, why do you do it?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because if I don't, there will be 3 others doing it. The ONLY way to counter Lorb is with Lorb.

Sure I get around as many kills with Lightning bolt and the first lightning spell combo, but once I see somone on the other team toss out that first Lorb I start throwing them out. If I don't our team can't keep up with the Ticket loss.

What Lorb creates is sudden and fast chunks of tickets to disappear. If there isn't an Lorb doing equal or better kills on the other team then you've already lost the battle before it's begun.

It's stupid as hell, but until Kuju gets their collective heads out of their asses, we are stuck with a pathetically balanced game that becomes all about the Lorb. Sad thing is, all this was addressed during beta and nothing was done.

Carrrick
12-10-2006, 11:57 AM
What absolutely amazes me is that they haven't done anywhere near enough to Lorb with this next patch, unless that changes.

Currently, they're making it so it wont kill people behind the player, and so it has a longer cast time.

What they SHOULD have done is either: Reduced the radius around the orb that kills,

or better yet, made it so its not an instant kill. Just very damaging. I mean, it's flame counterpart Forb doesnt instant kill and is no-where near as powerful. Why should Lorb kill instantly like that?

Or perhaps again (this going off a little grade school physics :P) they could make it so it has a maximum of 3 kills per lorb and make it take longer to cast. Each kill takes a certain amount of energy out of the orb eventually using it all up. Say, after 3 kills it's used up or something.

Lorb is unbeleivably lame. I have no respect for those who use it. If thats the only way that someone can get kills then they truely are bad at this game. Having to stoop so low will only get them a bad reputation if they're renowned for it.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/carrick/DarkMessiahSigUbisoft.jpg

roftlovesgames
12-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Lorb currently will not One shot a warrior with max magic resistance or someone with stone skin. Food for thought.

Mana_SG
12-10-2006, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Knootewoot:

Sorry for my bad english </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In the first open beta (maybe the first few versions) you could see your feet and body when looking down. Seems it got removed. Some problems probably http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Hey once the SDK comes out maybe someone can make a SP MP mod?

"Dark Messiah Single Player Multi Player Mod"
DMSPMP for short http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Carrrick
12-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I know that a couple of guys in ZS did something very very similar for FEAR and are hoping perhaps to looking into doing the same for DM.

But correct me if I'm wrong mana, but didnt you get that to work? If not extremely poorly?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/carrick/DarkMessiahSigUbisoft.jpg

Mana_SG
12-11-2006, 01:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carrrick:
I know that a couple of guys in ZS did something very very similar for FEAR and are hoping perhaps to looking into doing the same for DM.

But correct me if I'm wrong mana, but didnt you get that to work? If not extremely poorly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did with the demo and full game.

The full game has full Steam Integration (meaning even MP only elements such as a place for servers to be listed on steam, steam ids, and some sort of bot support...)