View Full Version : Story questions
07-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Since this is a prequel to an older game, the storyline is off a bit understandably, but I did have some major questions.
1. William dies, and THEN we have a boss fight with Barnsby? It seems to me that if William's sacrifice hit them so hard, they wouldn't be in good shape for any attack.
2. Didn't Billy Candle spend a good deal of time discussing his worthless stepfather, Thomas, who beat his mother and Billy? What happened to Thomas' newfound appreciation of family due to William's sacrifice?
3. Reverend Ray is a psychotic killing machine in the original game, and he keeps spouting stuff about hell and damnation. If he became a preacher like his brother wanted to be, how come he preached the exact opposite of what his brother said the entire game?
It seems to me these plot holes are rather gaping for the developers of a prequel to have simply ignored them. (Heck even Scorpion King, which ignored its predecessors, had a "it could go wrong" sentence at the end.)
07-02-2009, 09:05 PM
1. I would think they would be extremely enraged and used to dealing with stress and pressure after their military experience... or dumb it just straight down to skill.
2. Maybe he just became a drunk... I can perhaps understand his disliking of Billy (but not the beating of his mother)... After all, Billy was the son of Juarez. The McCalls weren't exactly friends with Juarez when you end up dueling and "killing" him.
3. Well from what I recall he began the hell and damnation stuff after he found out his brother died and he demanded justice. After all he was probably quacking a bit after so many years with no woman just trying to be a preacher. Besides, maybe his logic was his brother had to sacrifice so much to reach him that maybe Ray should warn people of the perils of their ways, the punishment that will await.
07-03-2009, 07:05 AM
1. Well revenge in Westerns is always a prime motivation to continue the fight. Ray probably wanted to take it out on someone and get a sense of closure(in his mind) even though he was responsible not Barnsby. It was a way of him trying to deny his guilt, as he does right up to near the end of CoJ 1.
2. In 20 years a lot can change, and Thomas probably had guilt and despair as well for the death of William, going to the bottle for solace. He then took out his frustrations on those that reminded him of the Juarez curse. Probably first against Billy, and then as alcoholism took over more and more, Marissa as well.
3. Ray DIDN'T preach the opposite of what his brother said! For almost 20 years he renounced violence and preached what William had done. He was self-righteous as Billy said, and fanatical. The problem was that when Thomas was killed, he corrupted the words that he preached. Remember the line: "Is that what you want from me Lord? To destroy those that couldn't be saved?"
Ray's anger took over and he perverted the words that he spoke, becoming again the cold killer of his younger years though justifying it with a religious ideology. Only later he realises his error and sees that he was corrupting William's ideals, and so chooses self-sacrifice to try and atone.
07-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Actually you guys are both right on the third question but not really at the same time, He said that he would revenge his brother and bring "justice" because he thinks that billy killed his brother being the sword of the lord, his right hand. ( just so he could have a reason to kill http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) Well thats what I understood of the game.
07-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Being a big fan of a good story, it bugs me a little though. The least they could have done was leave a hint. And kudos to the people explaining Ray's damnation fixation. That fits the bill. One last question: How come the guns he saved were so damn crappy? All the cool guns I got him, and he saves the rusty ones?
07-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Well I think the guns he saved are just representations of all the guns he had. Obviously Techland couldn't have Ray stock up a whole arsenal from the beginning.
Still, those guns rusted from being in that chest for 20 years http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif