PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions about getting started

omnix32x
08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
1) Does the map editor need to be in any special directory? the instructions talked about an "online" directory which I don't have

2) What files if any do you need to copy to be safe or files that the map editor may need to display textures and models ect....

3) whats the difference between the map editor that came installed with the game and the one available for download. I have both thinking they were for different things.

4) Is the map editor able to make all player level typs such as single player, V.S mode or is the map editor only able to make multiplayer? It may be a dumb question as most editors let you map for all aspects of the game such as Doom III and the source engine (Half-Life 2, CS) However I do realize it's UBI soft thats why I asked not seeing any single player map creation mentioned in the doc's.

5) Just a comment. Starforce is not the way to protect games, and is not customer friendly. It can also cause conflicts with other things installed on your system. I also do not like the fact that you can't back up your DVD very easily with out alot of hassle with virtual drives and configurations. I have a stack of PSP games that my children have destroyed with scratches and peanut butter. No computer game should need the CD. Bad Job UBI-Soft.

thank you for the help. My son likes this game and I told Him I would help him figure out the map editor. I bought two copies so that both my children can play Lan.

Fun Mapping !!!!

element54
08-03-2005, 10:02 AM
the DL version of the map editor was for Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow so you don't need that. The online directory was for SC:PT as well so don't worry about that either. The editor with SC:CT is allready in the proper direcotry. All the StaticMeshes (SM) and Textures are in the respective folders under the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory\Versus\Packages\**** directory. Any maps that you make or edit can only be opened in the MapsED folder. The program won't let you open maps from the Maps folder.
The map editor only works for the Versus game type. (imo the only good type of SC http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif)

and to answer your last question, Yes Mapping is Fun!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

on a sad note. if you can get the multiplayer version to work on a LAN you are in good shape but good luck. second, you don't need the disk to play versus over LAN or online, so one copy was sufficient.

omnix32x
08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Thank you very much for the response. You only need ONE COPY to play lan? but probley would need two copies to play online together. It makes me mad because the box did not say you would only need one copy, this game is not cheap.

I have not played the game, I have just set it up for my children. So what we are looking at is no enemy AI scripted or otherwise? I suppose I should actually try the game and see what it's about. Also do I need to download the ATC for mapping? there are seprate downloads for the SCCT and pandora editor but the SCCT editor comes with the game?

element54
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
the ATC is so that you can make up stratagy for each map when you are going to play on versus. (like "i'm ganna go here and you go there" kinda thing) not needed to make maps.

you only need to install one copy on two computers for playing Versus on LAN. the Co-op mode i think you still need two copies. Versus starts without needing the disk in the drive, but you cannot start the single player or the co-op version without the disk in the drive.

the single player and the co-op version have enemy bots in the game. Co-op would be good for the kids because they have to "work together" to complete the missions and take out some of the enemies. The versus is for playing online against the community of folks here, or for your kids to play against each other on the LAN.
(to be honest the online Versus isn't for children. some of us have been playing for the past year and a half and it makes it hard for a new player to immediatly join the online community. in other words they will get theyr rear ends handed to them and they will end up not liking the game too much. i suggest they practice togher or in small groups of friends to get better.)

omnix32x
08-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Ok, If the kids get beat down then that will make them better I suppose. I just don't like the language sometimes and I have kicked them off if it gets to bad. Thank you for the concern for my kids 13 and 10.

So, there is no way to map enemy bots for levels at this time? The Unreal engine does a pretty good job with Bot AI, However I am most impressed with the source Engine bots for Counter Strike. Even for 2004 the Unreal engine is getting old and Splinter Cell looks ok but not great. The unreal engine could never do lighting like the new Doom Engine or Source Engine. My son wants bots and He is making levels for the Source engine right now. (Half-Life) fill a room with bots and blast them all... He is learning scripting and is able to get the bots to tell the player to move along and do certain things.

He Loves Splinter Cell and I would not have ever bought the game unless the kids wanted it. I am not a fan of UBI or the Starforce proction. all for the kids.

thanx for the help.
anyone for a game of Rayman??

S.a.S-Akbari
08-04-2005, 02:51 AM
anyone for a game of Rayman??

Amen - Best Ubi game ever!

element54
08-04-2005, 05:53 AM
i don't think you can do bots on this version of the unreal editor. i don't think anyone has tried it yet. i thought about putting some people in my map but i gave up on that idea. if you know the Unreal engine you may know better how to do it on this build of SC unreal engine.

gl