PDA

View Full Version : Online multiplayer supporting "dozens of players"

XAleX360
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
At least, that's what Eurogamer is reporting right now.

Now Ubisoft is claiming "dozens" of players on each side, with the result "combining all the intensity and accessibility of deathmatch with the squad-based gameplay that helped make Brothers In Arms famous".

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=132622

This has noticeably upped my interest in the game, for sure....I'm just hoping there will be vehicles (and squad to squad chat, and team proximity chat, and intervehicle chat...and clan support), now.

XAleX360
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
At least, that's what Eurogamer is reporting right now.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now Ubisoft is claiming "dozens" of players on each side, with the result "combining all the intensity and accessibility of deathmatch with the squad-based gameplay that helped make Brothers In Arms famous". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=132622

This has noticeably upped my interest in the game, for sure....I'm just hoping there will be vehicles (and squad to squad chat, and team proximity chat, and intervehicle chat...and clan support), now.

XAleX360
04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Completely New Multiplayer Experience. Fight major Multiplayer battles with dozens of players on each side; all the intensity and accessibility of Deathmatch meshed with the squad-based gameplay that helped make Brothers in Arms famous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is from the official Brothers in Arms website!

Sgt_Freeman.
04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XAleX360:
This has noticeably upped my interest in the game, for sure.... I'm just hoping there will be vehicles (and squad to squad chat, and team proximity chat, and intervehicle chat...and clan support), now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would just ruin Brothers in Arms. You can't mix tactics with the people who feel like driving around the whole time running people over(which happens in every game with vehicles). People like that will just take the fun out of the game.

XAleX360
04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
You must be kidding. Proper games BALANCE vehicles over running people with the ability for the latter to take them down with proper weapons. Vehicles actually add complexity and tactics, if implemented correctly...And anyway they are already confirmed.

Sgt_Freeman.
04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XAleX360:
You must be kidding. Proper games BALANCE vehicles over running people with the ability for the latter to take them down with proper weapons. Vehicles actually add complexity and tactics, if implemented correctly...And anyway they are already confirmed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I don't want it to be like Call of Duty 3. It all depends on if they put the vehicles in the game properly and don't let the game lose it's infantry tactics that made this game series great.

XAleX360
04-18-2008, 07:09 AM
I kinda overlooked the deathmatch part to be honest. I don't care about deathmatch, it is repetitive and boring. Objective modes like those features in Bad Company, Frontlines or Quake Wars are far more engaging and favor teamwork between human players.

Also, I hope they drop the AI thing....I'm reading that previous Brothers in Arms installments featured CPU-controlled players in action, which I don't like at all. Online gaming must be focused on PvP battles, for PvE battles there's always story and coop modes.

Finn1939
04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
^^^^^
But that is the best way for squad tactics to work. If you tryed to command human players, they just wouldn't follow orders. Instead they would run of on their own trying to blast their way through the opposing team.

XAleX360
04-18-2008, 09:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Finn1939:
^^^^^
But that is the best way for squad tactics to work. If you tryed to command human players, they just wouldn't follow orders. Instead they would run of on their own trying to blast their way through the opposing team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what you get when playing mindless people. It is not with artificial intelligence that REAL squads get on the Battlefield...There are things called CLANS, now a reality on Xbox Live. Developers must acknowledge this, we need proper clan support in every shooter.

Sgt_Freeman.
04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Finn1939:
^^^^^
But that is the best way for squad tactics to work. If you tryed to command human players, they just wouldn't follow orders. Instead they would run of on their own trying to blast their way through the opposing team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what you get when playing mindless people. It is not with artificial intelligence that REAL squads get on the Battlefield...There are things called CLANS, now a reality on Xbox Live. Developers must acknowledge this, we need proper clan support in every shooter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How about some game modes with computer squad mates and others with human squad mates? Problem solved. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Finn1939
04-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it would be good to just have an option. BIA games are quite good for options...You can turn of suppression indicators and cross hairs etc.

onermedboxer
04-19-2008, 09:12 AM
i think it would be really fun to have 3-4 "actual" players that each have a squad, and they go against another 3-4. it would still require teamwork(squads working together to fix & flank)

XAleX360
04-19-2008, 07:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next-Gen Multiplayer: Team up with real squad-mates to win intense on-line battles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?p=games&game=hh

WOAH!REAL SQUAD-MATES. That can sell me. Now give me dedicated servers, clan support and proper team chat, Gearbox!

PWNcracker
04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I hope they make the multiplayer good, right now i cant see how its going to work. There could be a few human players who select their team at the beginning of the game, there could be different restrictions so you dont get people running round with pure bazookas and such like. This is a very extremely powerfully rough idea, as i said before i dont know, we'll just have to wait and see.

MickityMike
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I can't believe any of you actually want to see the online squad AI go away. My god, have you EVER played BiA MP before? And vehicles? Are you kidding me??

Jeez, go play Call of Duty or Halo if that's what you're into. Clearly, BiA is not your game.

PWNcracker
04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MickityMike:
I can't believe any of you actually want to see the online squad AI go away. My god, have you EVER played BiA MP before? And vehicles? Are you kidding me??

Jeez, go play Call of Duty or Halo if that's what you're into. Clearly, BiA is not your game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate, ive never seen you on these forums ever and it is unwise to say to us "brothers in arms is not your game" just a word of advice if you are planning to stay on these forums.

MickityMike
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PWNcracker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MickityMike:

Jeez, go play Call of Duty or Halo if that's what you're into. Clearly, BiA is not your game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate, ive never seen you on these forums ever and it is unwise to say to us "brothers in arms is not your game" just a word of advice if you are planning to stay on these forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, thanks for the advice but I think I'll ignore it.

However, it boggles my mind that some people don't like the AI teams in the MP. That's the very essence of the game, and if that's not what you're into, cool, but it seems pretty clear then that BiA is not for the player that doesn't like AI teams.

PWNcracker
04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I see what your saying and agree, its so much easier when you put it nicely. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Vehicles will ruin it and the AI/ squad command element needs to feature in the multiplayer, i dont know how theyre going to pull it off well.

MickityMike
04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PWNcracker:
I see what your saying and agree, its so much easier when you put it nicely. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Vehicles will ruin it and the AI/ squad command element needs to feature in the multiplayer, i dont know how theyre going to pull it off well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I was rude before.

Brothers in Arms is about infantry combat. I just can't understand why anyone would want to destroy that, when we all know how awesome a game it already is. Now, I'm not saying that there isn't room for a LOT of improvement in the MP; I just don't want it destroyed.

What if it were 8 vs. 8, each player commanding a team of 3 AI bots? You'd have 32 characters against 32 more... I'm soiling my pants (it's a little sticky) just thinking about it!

PWNcracker
04-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Thats what i had in mind, maybe the higher level you are the more different teams you unlock and you can have more soldiers in each squad? I definately think your onto something though.