PDA

View Full Version : CPU Problem?

Gh3ngis
01-30-2008, 09:55 AM
My problem, I cant play SH4 , I have swapped my ATi X1950 Pro 512 mb for an Nvidia 8600GT 512mb Overclocked because i thought that was the problem with lagginess in game, max fps of about 10 (if im lucky) to no avail, and load times of 15 mins.

I have run various programs to check RAM is ok, it is. I have formatted my hdd and installed SH4 on its own, still the same. I have tried a smaller hdd (spare) still the same.

Then i tried taking my pc off the net with Task Manager running and had a look at the Performance tab: CPU Usage when on line was in the 40's and System Idle Process on processes tab showed 96 available

When offline was CPU Usage was 0 to 4, and System Idle Process was 98 - 100 as it should be.

I think my processor maybe on its way out as I have swapped it in and of several mobo's and everything else is/was new in August 2007 (motherboard, 2gb RAM, hdd, gfx card)

I tried running SH4 with my connection off and was getting 10 - 15 fps and i get 3 - 7 with it on.. why is my net connection affecting my fps? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

If anyone else has any ideas please shout out.

Cheers

Martin

Gh3ngis
01-30-2008, 09:55 AM
My problem, I cant play SH4 , I have swapped my ATi X1950 Pro 512 mb for an Nvidia 8600GT 512mb Overclocked because i thought that was the problem with lagginess in game, max fps of about 10 (if im lucky) to no avail, and load times of 15 mins.

I have run various programs to check RAM is ok, it is. I have formatted my hdd and installed SH4 on its own, still the same. I have tried a smaller hdd (spare) still the same.

Then i tried taking my pc off the net with Task Manager running and had a look at the Performance tab: CPU Usage when on line was in the 40's and System Idle Process on processes tab showed 96 available

When offline was CPU Usage was 0 to 4, and System Idle Process was 98 - 100 as it should be.

I think my processor maybe on its way out as I have swapped it in and of several mobo's and everything else is/was new in August 2007 (motherboard, 2gb RAM, hdd, gfx card)

I tried running SH4 with my connection off and was getting 10 - 15 fps and i get 3 - 7 with it on.. why is my net connection affecting my fps? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

If anyone else has any ideas please shout out.

Cheers

Martin

Maverick_U2007
01-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Gh3ngis....seems to me that you have to have a look at your processor or something else entirely.

I can run SH4 at Custom settings (medium to high) with frame rates of about 25-30 with the following system

Pentium 4 @3.00ghz...Radeon X1550 Graphics card, 2.5gb ram, windows Xp pro....

Very similar in all accounts to your setup.

Hang around and someone will probably point you in the right direction, I can only suggest, a dfrag of your HDD, get the latest driver updates for your graphics card, and possibly post a dxdiag here so that one of the more 'professional computer experts' on this site can help.

Have you tried running any other recent games on it. If you have a problem with your other games then yes you will probably have to look at your hardware....but if they run ok...then it is an issue with SH4 itself. Which would narrow the field down a lot.

Maverick

Gh3ngis
01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Cheers for a quick response Maverick.

I thought about a defrag, but its a brand new install and hardly anything on it.

I tried running CoD4 & MoH:A when i had my X1950 pro, they were OK CoD4 lagged on low & medium settings and MoH:A was barely playable on low to medium.

I know its not the newest of machines but a p4 3.2 isnt that bad to play games on... is it?

I was thinking about buying a new mobo that supports a Quad Processor like a Q6600 2.4 and 2 gigs of ram at about 300 from Novatech, but really want to try and sort out this problem first. And find out why the net connection is slowing my machine down, as i have never noticed this before.

Gh3ngis

Maverick_U2007
01-30-2008, 10:33 AM
I had the demo for CoD4 and played it on Medium settings...with no lag that was noticable.

On paper, with your X1950pro installed, apart from my 2.5gb ram, your computer should outshine mine.

Think you have to have a deep look at your processor and see how well it is running..(BTW don't ask me how!!!).

Stick at it and you will get there.

Maverick

Gh3ngis
01-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Update!!

Looked at my wifes machine, she had Adobe Photoshop open and I.E. Her usage in Task Manager was negligible i.e. 3% and thats with her being online aswell.

I have MSN and I.E. mine is in the 40's when online and about 2 or 3 when I disable my net connection http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I also had a look at the Task Manager: Performance Tab, whilst SH4 was running CPU Usage was 0 - 4% while the PF (Page File) Usage was at 1.08 GB.

Hope this helps for the info

Gh3ngis

Gh3ngis
02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I have updated my rig to the spec below and have no probs in running MoHA:A on Highest res and all maxed out, hopefully SH will be the same when i get it loaded http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tom1950_241
05-16-2008, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maverick_U2007:
Gh3ngis....seems to me that you have to have a look at your processor or something else entirely.

I can run SH4 at Custom settings (medium to high) with frame rates of about 25-30 with the following system

Pentium 4 @3.00ghz...Radeon X1550 Graphics card, 2.5gb ram, windows Xp pro....

Very similar in all accounts to your setup.

Hang around and someone will probably point you in the right direction, I can only suggest, a dfrag of your HDD, get the latest driver updates for your graphics card, and possibly post a dxdiag here so that one of the more 'professional computer experts' on this site can help.

Have you tried running any other recent games on it. If you have a problem with your other games then yes you will probably have to look at your hardware....but if they run ok...then it is an issue with SH4 itself. Which would narrow the field down a lot.

When no to many ships in sighjt ( maximum 8) i still get 60 FPS ( Vsync enabled) is this much ?
Maverick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>