PDA

View Full Version : 1940 The heck with electric torps



Sgt_Starbuck
08-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Like someone said steam fish do fine. I had an electric explode just short of a ship in a convoy. Tipped them off. Changed to steam and hasn't happened since. I'll wait until later in the war when FAT and acoustics come out.

Sarge

Flakwalker
08-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Steam torpedo rocks, good range and at close they can go at 44kts. They only reveal themselves with the bubbles trail, but at night is ok.

Later when T.III became available I use a 50% of T.I and T.III, but keeping on stern the T.I. Accustics ones are ok but I preffer the T.I instead until the apear of the T.V

horribleron
08-07-2005, 01:02 AM
The steam fish are easier to use but the electric fish pack bigger warheads and are more likely to get a one shot kill. But they are fussy. First, in stormy weather always set them to impact pistol instead of magnetic. This is true of steam fish too. Rough water tends to set off the magnetic pistols. Second, Electric fish like to be as close to a 90 degree solution as possible so don't do off angle shots. Last, be sure to open you tube doors first. Not doing so really effects accuracy with the slower fish. I had alot of problems with the electrics at first but now I'm getting pretty good with them and don't mind the, so much. But I always carry some steam fish too because they are better for fast kills against DD's. I don't care if they see them - at 500 meters and 44 kts they don't have enough time to do anything about it.

HorribleRon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Desslock
08-07-2005, 04:27 AM
??? I d'n't think that in the game electrics have a bigger warhead.

IMO the bullbe trail of steams isn't a problem, cause they cah also hear electrics with hydrophones. I didn't notice a difference in enemy reactions between the two types.

Personally i like the speed of TI's, so i go with them.

JU88
08-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Electric torps are only good for one thing, attacking a DD or flower at close range in good weather....

Other than that they are ****.

stinkhammer6
08-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Sarge, it was me saying steam fish are the way to go, the duracell brand electric fish suck and are worthless unless you keep one around for a second shot on a solo wounded ship, thats it for those. Im in july 44 and have yet to have an issue with the steam fish or their bubble trails. Not long ago I sank another nelson battleship using two steam torpedos, it finally seen the trail at the last second and sped up only to take out its engine room. The follow up steam fish was right on the mark and as it was heading to the BB I watched a VW go right in front of its path and across it, then got clear out of its way and headed for the BB as if it could help it somehow. I hit its ammo magazine so there were no survivors.

This is the only time I seen a reaction using steam torpedo's, and most likely because I was firing them in the middle of about 12 war ships on the look out.

lecek
08-07-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't know how you guys got all this hostility for electrics.

Currently they are my favorite and my sub is exclusivly armed with them. I have no difference with success at all.

For many, many patrols steam was my favorite. I tried to mix a few and try out electrics but I had less success. But when I arm my sub exclusivly with either, my results are the exact same. The only noticable difference is that my targets don't even begin a jink, they just die.

Most ships do see the steam torps, they usually just do not have time for usefull reaction. But they do have time to send an SSS.

I don't think this is modeled in the game but IRL electric torps had a much larger warhead as well.

Sgt_Starbuck
08-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by stinkhammer6:
Sarge, it was me saying steam fish are the way to go, the duracell brand electric fish suck and are worthless unless you keep one around for a second shot on a solo wounded ship, thats it for those. Im in july 44 and have yet to have an issue with the steam fish or their bubble trails. Not long ago I sank another nelson battleship using two steam torpedos, it finally seen the trail at the last second and sped up only to take out its engine room. The follow up steam fish was right on the mark and as it was heading to the BB I watched a VW go right in front of its path and across it, then got clear out of its way and headed for the BB as if it could help it somehow. I hit its ammo magazine so there were no survivors.

This is the only time I seen a reaction using steam torpedo's, and most likely because I was firing them in the middle of about 12 war ships on the look out.

I knew it was a wise man. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Sarge

mripley
08-07-2005, 10:37 AM
I have used electrics with no problem what so ever they were designed for shorter ranges so they should be used close in on convoys with great effect granted stormy weather can screw them up but the same can be said for steamers.

stinkhammer6
08-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Try getting in close to a convoy in 1944, leave me your wallet and atm card pin number before you make way.

quillan
08-07-2005, 06:01 PM
There are two different base varieties of electric torpedoes, the TII and TIII. The TII is the early model, and it sucks bad. I tried very much to use them, but eventually gave up on them totally. I had a 50% failure rate with TII fish, premature detonations. I occasionally had a TI explode early in rough weather, but the TIIs would do it in glassy seas. The TIIIs are much more reliable, and once they become available, they're worth using.

rls669
08-08-2005, 12:53 AM
The electric torps are so . . . agonizingly . . . slow . . .

Also, there was a bug (dunno if it's fixed now because I never use them anymore) where the tdc would seem to calculate angle based on a TI's speed, causing the electric to miss every time. Even though speed wasn't adjustable, clicking the speed setting dial would make the gyroangle dial take a big jump. I can't remember if clicking on the speed dial fixed it, or made it worse http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

paulhager
08-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Sgt_Starbuck:
Like someone said steam fish do fine. I had an electric explode just short of a ship in a convoy. Tipped them off. Changed to steam and hasn't happened since. I'll wait until later in the war when FAT and acoustics come out.

Sarge

I now use the steam torps exclusively until the long-range electrics become available. My only concern is with range, since I never attack a convoy unless it's night. What I discovered was that tankers always seem to be in the center of the convoys and I had to get distressingly close to target them. This made it likely that I wouldn't get away clean after I attacked. In fact, on one mission I was hounded by 3 escorts for a several hours of game time after loosing my torps. Problem was there was no way to avoid the escort and still line up the shot.

After that experience I switched to steam and that made a huge difference. Now my attacks consist of finding the 2 ships that are close together - typically a T3 or T2 and a C3 or C2. I get a solution on the tanker and fire a 2 torp salvo, then get a solution on the nearest large ship in the same column, preferable the ship just in front. Then it's turn and depart the scene with all deliberate speed. Once I made the switch, I ceased having any problem with escorts (through 1942, that is).

When I engage individual ships with steam torps, I try to get close and then run the torps at highest speed. This gives them almost no time to react.

In my current career it's 1943 and on this mission I have a loadout with the long-range electics -- and I have a couple of ladder search as well (boat is IX-C). I think I'm on mission 26 - borrowed time at this point - and preparing (at last save) to hit a large convoy in the middle of the Atlantic -- it's a NY-Gibralter convoy. Naturally, I'm striking at night. Now we'll see how well the electrics/ladder search torps work... I'm hoping it turns out well since I'm on the way back to base and have only one small freighter to my credit.

stinkhammer6
08-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Sarge, in short, electric fish suck, regardless of type. Steamers all the way.

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Water and electricty what genius thaught of that idea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

captsteubie
08-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I keep two electrics in my initial torp loadout as a special prize for DDs. Other than that, I avoid them. Go steam! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

EFileTahi-A
08-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Electric torps actually managed to save me butt 2 times agaist some incoming destroyer.

Fighting DD's with steams after they see you is somewhat useless: If tryed that, they always end up seeing their water wakes it and easly avoid them. With electric torps they just maintain their course, and that is great for some KABOOM!

In my current vessel U-BOAT VII-B I always take 4 electric torps as defensive strategy the others go steam for merchants and stuff...

Rafe1
08-09-2005, 04:19 AM
I use only electric torpedoes.
It helps a lot when you're targeting that lonely unexpecting DD that is escorting a convoy.
If a convoy has more then 1 escort I choose the most juicy target(usualy a T3 tanker) and send it down before the hell breaks out.
I almost hit every DD with the electric eels since they don't see it coming.
I hit a DD once at 4700 meters that was going 15 knots with an electric.
When I did the same with an steam eel in another campaign the SOB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif evaded the fish because he saw the bubble trail.

EFileTahi-A
08-09-2005, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Rafe1:
I use only electric torpedoes.
It helps a lot when you're targeting that lonely unexpecting DD that is escorting a convoy.
If a convoy has more then 1 escort I choose the most juicy target(usualy a T3 tanker) and send it down before the hell breaks out.
I almost hit every DD with the electric eels since they don't see it coming.
I hit a DD once at 4700 meters that was going 15 knots with an electric.
When I did the same with an steam eel in another campaign the SOB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif evaded the fish because he saw the bubble trail.

The only thing I don't about eletric torps is that I cannot follow them with external camera since they don't create water wake http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-09-2005, 09:52 AM
During the Falklands was the HMS Trifalger sank the cruiser General Belgrano with 2 WW2 era MK14 steam fish.

stinkhammer6
08-09-2005, 05:13 PM
If you are targetting DD's specifically in a convoy, thats your mistake unless its after mid 1943. I carry one acoustic for that one die hard DD that wont leave you alone. Other than that, steamers only. In 44 I can nail 3 ships from 3k out, and away from enemy hunters radar and sonar, they only take action when the first ship gets hit, then they all go INTO the convoy and around it. I simply turn around and head out and away entirely undetected. Try a 3k shot with an electric, youll miss your target if not everything in the convoy.

lecek
08-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I have hit ships up to 2800 with electric. T3's can go 5. Electrics are just as accurate as steams, except they don't leave a warning wake.

If you are mixing torps, you need to adjust the spead on your electrics, but that isn't a big issue.

Maj_Solo
08-09-2005, 09:17 PM
I like the steam vs DD cause the DD sees it and turns so I can turn the other way, otherwise if elsectric and the torpedo does not get the DD for some reason and the DD never have seen it the DD will still be in attack mode happily unaware, no so with steam, he get a real good scare, and I get a second chance with the stern tube after he turned around again so I can IS hime and recheck settings and we can repeat the process once more.


Life would be hell if the DDs in this game intermittently did what the DD did in Das Boot, I believe ....

the DD got them on the radar and made a plot, thats why the had the direction and probably the distance and come straight for them from a distance .... and then seeing or not seeing any torpedoes he make a standard jink left-right ....

imagine that if they started to randomly do standard jinks in random direction just to get within 300m and then press the sub down from torp depth ...

but when I started playing this game I would never have asked for it ....

Maj_Solo
08-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by stinkhammer6:
If you are targetting DD's specifically in a convoy, thats your mistake unless its after mid 1943. I carry one acoustic for that one die hard DD that wont leave you alone. Other than that, steamers only. In 44 I can nail 3 ships from 3k out, and away from enemy hunters radar and sonar, they only take action when the first ship gets hit, then they all go INTO the convoy and around it. I simply turn around and head out and away entirely undetected. Try a 3k shot with an electric, youll miss your target if not everything in the convoy.

I have suspected electric torpedo slowdown towards reaching their max range ..... I suspect it, can not prove it, there is no sim "status bar" we can call up to display what various objects are doing in the sim.

Mybe the steam does the same only their range is so enourmous they never are really close to exhaustion even if we feel we are firing from real long distances.

Would be nice with a sim status bar to check data.....