PDA

View Full Version : New, nasty bug - TMO related?

paulhager
07-25-2011, 03:14 AM
I started a new career in April of 42. This gave me time to make Coral Sea and (hopefully) Midway.

I began Patrol 1 in a Gato without radar. I ran through Coral Sea and experienced 9 duds and a miss on a Shokaku. I then continued on to my objective, which was off the east coast of China. There I attacked a small freighter and experienced 2 duds, 1 circular runner (which I avoided) and 2 misses. I had to sink with gunfire. I then went to Midway, refitted, and prepared for the IJN TF. It was 1 June and I saved. When I came back, all saves (I normally keep 5) were corrupted.

I start over. Redo Coral Sea. Result: 10 hits on a Shokaku - all duds. That's 22 hits, all duds, with one circular runner. This time, after I'm away from all IJN forces I save. I exit the game completely, then restore. No problem. Once again I go to the PZ. This time I encounter no ships. On the way to Midway I spot a Hakusika Maru in the early morning hours of 21 May. I save at that point. I pick up several hours later, no problem. I move into a position to attack and target with 6 torpedoes. Result: 6 duds. Now up to 28 duds. This is absurd. I save before going into the gun battle, then decide that I should rerun the attack to see if I get 6 duds again. I return to the menu without exiting the game and upon restore see that the date and time are right but now it is broad daylight. The ship is no longer visible and all of my marks on the map have disappeared. This is normally an indicator of a corrupted save. I let things run and then the passive sonar trace of the approaching ship shows up.

For the Dana Andrews career, I believe I went to the 2.1 patch of TMO. That career took place from 44 to 45. Even though it was later War and I had a dud-reducing torpedo expert, I got the odd dud with Mark 14's. It appears that the dud rate has been increased by some huge factor.

My plan now is to go back to an even earlier save and replay the Hakusika attack and see if I get 6 more duds. If it happens again, I'll either have to try to go back to the earlier TMO patch, which I know worked, or go forward to 2.2.

I logically assume all of this is TMO related since that is the only change I've made in my mods.

denis4510
07-25-2011, 05:08 AM
See this also Paul - a couple of us had save problems co-incidentally on starting in April 42 especially in the Coral Sea campaign. I run TMO 2.1 and RSRD.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1019045/m/8091081639 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/8091081639)

WernherVonTrapp
07-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by paulhager:
I return to the menu without exiting the game and upon restore see that the date and time are right but now it is broad daylight. The ship is no longer visible and all of my marks on the map have disappeared. This is normally an indicator of a corrupted save.
Interesting.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/chin.gif I've had issues in the past while restarting from the Main Menu without completely exiting the game. One of those issues was the onset of dusk at 1:00pm in the afternoon. I mentioned it in a thread some time ago but assumed nobody understood my description of the problem. It also didn't produce the same results every time. Other times, ships or convoys would disappear (after restarting w/o exiting). Sometimes, there were no apparent ill affects.

Consequently, I always completely exit a game before restarting now.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think005.gif

denis4510
07-25-2011, 06:28 AM
I return to the menu without exiting the game and upon restore see that the date and time are right but now it is broad daylight. The ship is no longer visible and all of my marks on the map have disappeared. This is normally an indicator of a corrupted save.

That was what 2 of us at least also experienced starting in April 42 - as well as corrupt saves.

MWolfe1963
07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I've never had a problem starting an April career with TMO, coral sea, etc...

TMO sets values for dud rates, early war can be as bad as 50%, but Duci explained beyond that the stock game can still give you a patrol with a high dud rate. However, it should be rare, I've had a few patrols with 80% duds.

jldjs
07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
I've never had a problem starting an April career with TMO, coral sea, etc...
I've seen you reply this way on many posts about bad saves. I wish you could tell us that suffer bad saves why you don't! Do you take many saves or just a few? I think when taking more than 10 saves "something" starts to go haywire, but I'm guessing based on that I take lots of saves.
I reloaded anew copy of stock and remodded back up to TMO 2.1 and RSRD, went back to Coral Sea and my saves were good though I haven't found the IJN
Fleets yet.

Blowtanks
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Buy a real computer you cheap bastards.
Don't listen to me, I am drunk. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

paulhager
07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Of course it is possible that one could experience a total of 28 duds (27 failure to explode and 1 circular runner) and NO detonations when there should normally be 80% duds and 20% detonations (most times this would mean from 4 to 6 successes out of 28). Still, the odds of 28 duds in a row and no successes at all are only 0.2%. I wouldn't expect the pseudo-random generator to behave this way unless there is some sort of glitch.

With respect to dud torpedoes, I found this in the 2.2 patch documentation:

1. Changed the MK 14 torpedo to have a chance of dud reduction at slow speed. Where as before, the slow setting did not help at all.

2. MK 14 torpedo depth errors should now be a little more variable. Now it has a slight chance of keeping correct depth, but odds are it will not. Where as before, it had no chance at all of keeping a set depth.

This information validates that 2.1 changed the dud rate - I'm pretty sure that I didn't install 2.1 until I started playing late war scenarios.

The solution, therefore, is to install 2.2 and start all over. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.

MWolfe1963
07-25-2011, 05:06 PM
He changed the value for dud rates on the slow setting using M14's, has nothing to do with the overall dud rate.

You have values for a set dud rate, then values that can help you deal with that issue, such as slow speeds and angle of impact. In 2.1 the slow value wasn't working correctly.

paulhager
07-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by MWolfe1963:
He changed the value for dud rates on the slow setting using M14's, has nothing to do with the overall dud rate.

You have values for a set dud rate, then values that can help you deal with that issue, such as slow speeds and angle of impact. In 2.1 the slow value wasn't working correctly.

Indeed, since with dud torpedoes I normally ONLY fire Mark 14's at slow speed, nothing but duds was clearly anomalous behavior.

Incidentally, I started over from base after reinstalling all of the mods, including the 2.2 patch. Result, 9 hits, 1 dud. Scratch one Shokaku.

I also saved after surfacing, exited the game, started the game, and reloaded - no odd behavior. I'm a happy camper.

cgkstealth
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm a happy camper.

Err...happy skipper right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

paulhager
07-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by cgkstealth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulhager:
I'm a happy camper.

Err...happy skipper right? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that too.