PDA

View Full Version : Why MMH, not HoMM?

kkozmic
09-05-2010, 04:42 AM
I'm confused. Why is the game not called Heroes of Might and Magic VI?

I can kind of understand that Ubi wants to strengthen the MM brand, but I find the news disturbing nonetheless.

I never really got hooked on the MM games, and I'm one of these people who consider HoMM III the best game ever, so seeing that the new game has a changed name raises a red flag for me, as it may be a sign of a things to come (like decreasing the significance of Heroes brand in Ubi's portfolio, which could in result lead to less attention, smaller budget and in result decline of the franchise.). In short - I fear Heroes will just a game in MM universe.

What's really the reason for this change?

Justice
09-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Check if there is another topic discussing this before posting. There is one a few posts under this - and the creator of that topic was also told, that this already has been extensively discussed.

Just use the search function.

Xenofex_086
09-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Strictly speaking, HoMM I - IV are games in the MM I - IX universe and their stories are just a small part of the big picture. HoMM V, Dark Messiah and MMH VI are part of a new universe (so far much less interesting in my opinion, but this is irrelevant), which is "under development". I don't think the game will suffer just because its name is being re-arranged, but I do agree that this change is rather stupid. It's a Heroes of Might and Magic game for pretty much everyone.
As for the reason - some marketing stuff...

reizel_128
09-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Xenofex_086:
Strictly speaking, HoMM I - IV are games in the MM I - IX universe and their stories are just a small part of the big picture. HoMM V, Dark Messiah and MMH VI are part of a new universe (so far much less interesting in my opinion, but this is irrelevant), which is "under development". I don't think the game will suffer just because its name is being re-arranged, but I do agree that this change is rather stupid. It's a Heroes of Might and Magic game for pretty much everyone.
As for the reason - some marketing stuff...
There are some references to Heroes I to V,mainly Sandro,just hope i could see that beautiful necro in 3d.

Xenofex_086
09-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Maybe they put Sandro's name there just because it's symbolic. The actual Sandro never left Axeoth, as far as we know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif But I really wouldn't mind if someone creates a portal, through which all the old factions pour in Ashan and wipe out the new wannabes. Even several fully loaded Kreegan hive-ships will do the job just fine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mcgslo
09-08-2010, 05:44 AM
for me it doesnt really matter if the game is what HoMM series was... and games evolve and its up to us to decide if the made right choices.

As long as game is polished and not for consoles i can live with name change. We would still know that it is successor to HoMM series and not some other game.

They better focus on adding lots of factions and balance them, making optimized graphic engine and polish all the bugs, adding tons of creatures, and really think about their new stuff, keeping random map generator for hotseat, making AI FAST and smart. So lots of thing to check before insignificat name change....

Raeleg
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Sandro is somewhere in HoM5.
There is Sandro's Cloak as legendary item.
But exists he? I won Unholy aliance campaign and he was destroy but then i heard it wasnt last campaign about him.

Btw MM was greit... dam good old times(exept MaM9)

Orry1992
10-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I think they just want to use Might and Magic:_____ blank for the rest of the games in the series, so that people realize they are interconnected, like Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is the same series.

Angelspit
10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
A lot of people are confused by this change. I wonder if they should just left things the way they were. I mean, Might and Magic is the brand name, we get it...

kmbogd
10-15-2010, 06:53 PM
I think it's not really important, since anyway most people refer to "Heroes of Might and Magic" brand by the simple term "Heroes".