PDA

View Full Version : External Torpedo Reserves - how use?

attilahog
01-16-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm commanding a type VII U-boat with has torpedos in the 'external reserve'. However, I can't seem to gain access to them. If anyone can tell me how this is done, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jose.MaC
01-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Sure!

1. Make sure you're not in silent running.
2. Make sure you've enought people in the torpedoes rooms.
3. You must be surfaced.
4. Click and drag the torpedoes to the closest torpedo room: fore torpedoes are for fore torpedo room, after torpedoes are for aft room.
5. Wait some hours surfaced!

attilahog
01-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I thought it must be something like that, I guess I was just not waiting long enough.

Question - when you 'drag' the torpedo over to, say, the forward reserve slots, will the torpedo picture itself move then "fill up" like when you are loading a torpedo, or will you have to wait a few hours before you see it move?

Thanks again.

Jose.MaC
01-17-2006, 05:22 AM
It will be like loading a torpedo -the picture will move and "fill up". You can put the mouse over the slot to see how long you've to wait until the transfer is done. I can grant you that you'll have to wait some hours, so you may want to have the torpedo compartment at full efficience and TC at x64 or better.

Good chase, kaleun!

ceasarsgold
02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
You can load external torpedos at any time and in any conditions.
1.Make sure torpedo room is manned with an Officer and crew.
2. I set the boat speed to (0) and time compression 1040.
3.Sellect weapons officer-torpedos- click and drag torpedo to RESERVE torpedo slot and release. Same for rear loading.
Good hunting / ceasars golden "U"

mikemikemik1950
02-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Contrary to some of the previous advice, it takes about ten minutes to move an external torpedo into the forward or aft torpedo room unless you are in "realistic reload time" mode in which case it takes 60 minutes. Here's how: You must be surfaced and not in "silent running" mode (being in silent running mode means you have ordered your crew not to engage in noisy activities, like making repairs or loading or moving torpedoes!), and you need a sufficient number of crew manning the torpedo rooms (check the diagram displayed by clicking the pop out "crew" icon on the left side of the screen -I have not found it neccessary to have the square "officer" position in the torpedo rooms manned but I think the green "efficiency" bar displayed "above" the room must be at something more than half). The Weapons Officer position in the control room must be manned so you can click on the weapons officer, which displays the icons which allow you to select the option of getting a "report" on the status of torpedoes. Clicking on the report icon then displays a cutaway view of the sub showing all torpedo tubes and torpedo storage locations. This diagram shows all remaining torpedoes in their current locations. Each tube has a button in front of it. If a tube is loaded and ready to fire the button will be green. An empty tube with a torpedo available for loading or being loaded (I think the crew will only load one at a time) will have a red button. If there are no more torpedoes available for loading a tube, the button will be gray. Once a torpedo has been fired, an empty tube or storage space will show. I have found that if I click on a torpedo a box will open describing the type and characteristics of the torpedo. If I click again and hold on an external stored torpedo, I can "drag" it to an empty torpedo storage location. Once I release the torpedo, it "snaps" back to its original location. The first time I did this, I thought it was meaningless, but about ten minutes later, the torpedo moved to the inside storage location. Apparently, the act of dragging the torpedo onto the interior storage location had the effect of ordering the crew to move it. Once you have given this "order," clicking on the external torpedo will display a message that tells you the torpedo will be moved in so many minutes and seconds, displaying a running countdown (ten minutes unless you are in "realistic reload" mode, which takes 60 minutes)until the torpedo actually moves or you turn off the timer display by clicking again. This is similar to the countdown you can obtain by clicking on an empty torpedo tube while it is reloading. Apparently, the forward external torpedo can only be moved to the forward torpedo room, and the aft only to the aft. Both the forward and aft external torpedoes can be moved at the same time as long as there is sufficient crew assigned to each torpedo room, apparently with no effect on loading time. You must "drag" the torpedo to an internal storage "tube," not a firing tube. The crew will then load it into an empty firing tube after it is moved inside. I don't believe the moving time can be reduced by adding more crew than needed to begin the move. That's what I know about loading external stored torpedoes. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to Community Help. I've learned a lot from it.

cfalzone
04-02-2006, 11:00 AM
ahhhh....that been my problem too..I drag the external to an emty tube and it snaps back.......I put my cursor over the torp. but no reading on time comes up..so If I read you message right..even when it snaps back, I should wait a while and it will eventually pop into the tube lighting the tube status red, the reload starts..?

albert_hess2003
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by cfalzone:
ahhhh....that been my problem too..I drag the external to an emty tube and it snaps back.......I put my cursor over the torp. but no reading on time comes up..so If I read you message right..even when it snaps back, I should wait a while and it will eventually pop into the tube lighting the tube status red, the reload starts..?

When the torpedo 'snaps back' it will turn grey, indicating it is marked for transfer inside. Rest your cursor over it; you will get a pop-up stating the remaining time to transfer inside. If you wind up submerging during transfer the transfer will stop and you'll have to start again from jump-street once resurfaced.

I've never directly transferred from external direct to a tube. I've always transfered from external storage to internal reserves so I'm not sure about the above, but I would assume that if you mark an external torpedo to be direct moved to a tube then, yes, once it is successfully transferred inside the crew will then start loading it into the tube.

Also, you don't have to go through the complicated routine via weapons officer to check torpedo status. No matter if the weapons officer is on or off duty, pressing 'I' will take you direct to the torpedo status screen.

As an aside one thing that doesn't seem realistic to me is this: you can't crew the deck gun during rough weather (which makes sense, as personnel would likely be washed overboard, not to mention aiming would be amusing with the deck wildly rolling and pitching, but you also can't crew the flak guns (which are higher up and have fencing around them to help keep you from falling overboard). But you can transfer externally stored torpedoes during rough weather . . . muscling 3,000 - 4,000 pounds of torpedo . . . on an open, unenclosed deck . . . down an open hatch . . . as waves over and over wash over the boat.

Eh!?

magicof1
04-07-2006, 07:38 PM
maybe someone can help me with this I am new and when I try to shoot a torpedo it bounces off the ships what I am doing wrong.

Kingcobra24
04-08-2006, 12:16 PM
If you're too close to your prey, the torps don't have a chance to arm before they hit the ship. That's one reason why they bounce off. Try not to fire torps if you're less than 400 meters from the target. Another reason could be a dud torpedo. That is controlled in the Realism Panel.

Kaleun1961
04-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Torpedoes bounce off of hulls for two reasons: The first is that it is running too deep compared to the target's draft and is hitting the rounded part of the hull and deflecting. The second reason is that it is hitting the hull at an angle. Torpedoes have an impact trigger on the tip which must hit the hull if you are using impact settings. If the angle is too great, then this trigger does not strike, the rounded nose hits instead and the torpedo deflects.

Torpedoes must travel 300 metres in order to arm. Note this carefully. It must travel 300 metres, not it must be fired from 300 or more metres. If you are 300 metres away and fire at an approaching target, it will not arm and will be a dud. This is because the target will have travelled some number of metres toward the torpedo and the torpedo hits it after travelling less than 300 metres. If the target moves 50 metres toward you, the torpedo has only travelled 250 metres. If the target is moving away from you, you might get by with firing at less than 300 metres.

For impact shots, it is best to be as close to perpendicular to the target as possible. There is a critical angle that makes for success. Outside of this angle there is a much greater chance that the torpedo will deflect. I'm not sure offhand what the angle is; it would probably be in the SH3 Wiki.

ld762n
05-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Note to self:
Drag outside reserve torpedoes to inside reserve slots.
Draging directly to the tube doesn't work.
External picture will diminish and pop up on the inside reserve list after transfer.
Work on Harpoon missle system. Much faster to reload.