PDA

View Full Version : Massive Streaming Advertisements In Lockdown?

SlipperyJim
02-26-2006, 10:19 AM
First of all I kindly ask everyone not to let this thread get deleted because of mindless hate rants. If you want threads to survive then keep calm and play nice. This thread is not an attack on Lockdown of which I do enjoy playing (especially with AI difficulty increasing mods!)

I suspect that Lockdown already uses or will shortly use the "Massive Streaming Advertisement" technology.

It has been impossible for you to miss all the Ghost Recon posters and such in the game. It now looks like those posters will change in the future advertising other UBI products and possibly even third-party products.

For instance Swat 4 was released with a bunch of Swat 4 posters around the maps when it first was released. With the first patch they activated the Massive Streaming Technology and then the game became a billboard. It was a Catch-22...if you wanted the patch to fix the game you were forced to view the advertisements.

You can view details about Swat 4's streaming adverts here:
http://nationalcheeseemporium.org/

The screenshot below is from a Lockdown map viewed with the game editor. Notice that they have a section called "Avertisement Objects" and notice the prefix of the objects as "obj_mass". This suggests to me they will be using Massive Streaming Adverts in the future:

http://www.mods4games.com/images/misc/Lockdown_Massive.jpg

It would be great if we could get it confirmed by UBI officials if we will have Streaming Advertisements in Lockdown in the future.

SlipperyJim
02-26-2006, 10:19 AM
First of all I kindly ask everyone not to let this thread get deleted because of mindless hate rants. If you want threads to survive then keep calm and play nice. This thread is not an attack on Lockdown of which I do enjoy playing (especially with AI difficulty increasing mods!)

I suspect that Lockdown already uses or will shortly use the "Massive Streaming Advertisement" technology.

It has been impossible for you to miss all the Ghost Recon posters and such in the game. It now looks like those posters will change in the future advertising other UBI products and possibly even third-party products.

For instance Swat 4 was released with a bunch of Swat 4 posters around the maps when it first was released. With the first patch they activated the Massive Streaming Technology and then the game became a billboard. It was a Catch-22...if you wanted the patch to fix the game you were forced to view the advertisements.

You can view details about Swat 4's streaming adverts here:
http://nationalcheeseemporium.org/

The screenshot below is from a Lockdown map viewed with the game editor. Notice that they have a section called "Avertisement Objects" and notice the prefix of the objects as "obj_mass". This suggests to me they will be using Massive Streaming Adverts in the future:

http://www.mods4games.com/images/misc/Lockdown_Massive.jpg

It would be great if we could get it confirmed by UBI officials if we will have Streaming Advertisements in Lockdown in the future.

FI_FlimFlam
02-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks SJ. I hated it in SWAT4 and I hate it in any game.

Currently it's easy enough to block and I suggest everyone edit their hosts file.

I hate having advertisments shoved down my throat. It's easy enough and a simple edit of your hosts file will prevent any information to or from the Massive servers for ALL games that sign up with them.

Find your "hosts" file. It is located under your Windows directory, then goto the system32 folder. Then go to the drivers folder. Then got the etc folder. There should be a file called "hosts" there. Use a text editor to add the following lines to the file:

127.0.0.1 madserver.net
127.0.0.1 ad.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 imp.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 media.madserver.net

What this does is prevent the game from looking out on the internet to contact the Massive severs and redirects the traffic back to your local machine. Make sure to set your file properties to READ-ONLY afterwards. This will prevent any application from changing it. Like a patch from UBI for example. Addittionally spyware and some viri like to modify your hosts file to keep you from going to antivirus websites and will modify this file with the same type entries. So it's a good practice to lock it by setting its properties to READ-ONLY regardless if you want to block Massive or not.

SlipperyJim
02-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Yup some good tips.

Many, many game companies are signing up for this new form of advertisement and it unfortunately will be part of the future.

Hopefully the haters in this forum won't use it as another excuse to complain. It is easily blocked if they do start using this technology.

FI_FlimFlam
02-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Also as of right now if you did this for SWAT4 you are already blocking it for Lockdown and any other game signed up with Massive.

Spoonoop
02-26-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm not too familiar with this program, but it is very hard to miss the advertisments in game. I've heard of the advertisements in SWAT 4, but don't understand how it works. If I understand correctly, are you saying these advertisements are comming from the internet? And that they can change? For example, those Ghost Recon posters can turn into coca cola posters? Or anything else? That's kind of freaky.

FI_FlimFlam
02-26-2006, 12:07 PM
And they gather info about you and your gaming habits and how long you look at certain ads in game.

I don't like it so I block them.

DayGlow
02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
it wouldn't be so bad if the ads were restricted to where you would expect to see one in the environment, like a billboard or poster in a subway station. The problem with SWAT4 was they were on every wall in every room. Nothing kills such an immersive, dark forboding environment that the devs so obviously strived for in SWAT4 than a stupid flashy poster.

If done right this sort of advertising wouldn't really be all that intrusive other than the fact that the ads need to be tailored to fit the game/evironment they are intended to be displayed in. You expect a billboard ad to look a certain way, and with SWAT4 there isn't that much thought put into the ads as well as their placement everywhere.

SlipperyJim
02-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I agree Dayglow but the advert posters in Lockdown are already a little nuts in terms of frequency.

I doubt very much that you would see Ghost Recon posters in parking garages and on the walls of a mercenary bases etc.

SlipperyJim
02-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Bump. Would love to get official word if Massive Streaming Technology will be part of Lockdown.

KungFu_CIA
02-27-2006, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DayGlow:

If done right this sort of advertising wouldn't really be all that intrusive other than the fact that the ads need to be tailored to fit the game/evironment they are intended to be displayed in. You expect a billboard ad to look a certain way, and with SWAT4 there isn't that much thought put into the ads as well as their placement everywhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is the principle that this technology is essentially spyware gathering demographic metric data like how long you look at the poster, etc.

Therefore, I would prefer NONE of this kind of "advertising" in ANY game PC I purchase.

The-Pizza-Man
02-27-2006, 07:19 PM
I wonder if it counts how many bullets you shoot into it out of spite http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That could be a really useful marketing tool. It would be able to directly gauge the reaction of the player to certain advertisements.

SlipperyJim
02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Lol, if only that were true.

In reality it records how long you look at a piece of advertisement, how long you played for, what levels you played, etc.