PDA

View Full Version : Just Got the Game

WargamerScott
11-22-2007, 01:59 PM
I loved SH3 to death but put off buying SH4 because of the initial bugs. Well, after learning that there is an expansion planned for SH4, I went out and purchased it yesterday (glad I waited as I got the game for $29 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).
So far, I really like some of the changes Ubi made to streamline the game!

I do have two questions:

I am doing a career with a Porpoise sub (1941). I purchased radar before leaving port but I cannot get the stupid thing to turn on (the switch won't...well, switch on). Nonetheless, I do receive an occassion radar report from the crew. Is this a bug?

Secondly, I am getting sonar contacts even while surfaced. There was a bug like this in SH3, and I am assuming this is the same bug here, right? (If it is, I am surprised as heck that Ubi missed that same bug twice in a row!).

BTW: I am patched to 1.3.

Thanks! As soon as I get my first victim, I'll post it here!

Masterhawk405
11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
The only radar thats avalible in 41 is an air search radar. Its on all the time your on the surface. I believe that the surface radar will come in late 42

TalladegaHack
11-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Try the TM1.6.5 mod and if your system is a beast then try the ROW mods available on top of the TM1.6.5 mod.

TM1.6.5 mod is the "STANDARD" for SHIV right now. It's like the oven that baked the raw materials into a decent tasting pie. Without it, you're just eating raw materials that don't amount to squat!

ALSO, try some of the music and radio mods listed by various SHIV buffs as well.

Good luck to you and HAPPY HUNTING as well as HAPPY THANKSGIVING! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WargamerScott
11-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Thank you! And happy Thanksgiving to you and all the other sea wolves around here!

TalladegaHack
11-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by WargamerScott:
Thank you! And happy Thanksgiving to you and all the other sea wolves around here!

You're welcome and welcome aboard! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

This website (http://www.downbelow.net/) has all the mods available for SHIV...or at least most of them. Like I said, TM1.6.5 (Comes with a graphics pack) is the STANDARD, and everything else is icing on the cake.

Don't forget to use a mod enabler like the JoneSoft generic mod enabler. I don't know if you know how to do all this stuff, but coming from SHIII you should, especially if you used the GWX mod.

Wolferz
11-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Surface (SJ) radar becomes available in the summer of '42 in the stock game. It still doesn't work 100% correct The sweep function turns off as soon as you change the view but, at least it does pick up contacts, even when turned off. If it's turned off it provides no projection on the map of target bearing. This only becomes annoying when you get close to a crowded port.

WargamerScott
11-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I am getting annoyed:

Am I missing something? I cannot get the stupid Auto targeting to turn off. I keep selecting "manual targeting system" but everytime I ship out, that stupid colored triangle appears! This takes all the fun out of the game! Why won't it go manual?

WargamerScott
11-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Okay, I discovered that the manual targeting must be set in your office.

Q: Why?!?

Second question:

I was attacked by an enemy aircraft which did some damage (but I got the last laugh by shooting it down). Q: why, if all my damage is all repaired, does my bridge still show some squirting water?!? It's like two days after the attack and the water is still leaking?!? Give me a break!

Even though I only put about six hours into the game, I have to say that this is the MOST bug-ridden and quirkiest game I have ever played! I could understand if this was SH3 which bravely broke new ground. But for a sequel to have more bugs/odd quirks than the original is outrageous! And obvious bugs, no less!

I hate to say it, but SH4 is already getting old fast due to all the annoyances.

Sparhawk81
11-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I bet you've installed the last official patch... think of WHAT A MESS was the vanilla version!!!

In fact almost all of us were (and still are) quite MAD at Ubi... but anyway, thanks to their patches and, most of all, thanks to our modders, we now have a decently playable game.

Now... why is some water still leaking?

SH4 has 2 different kind of damage: the Dynamic Damage (which is the damage you can try to repair, for example damage to your equipment), and the Hidden Damage (which is damage that can be repaired ONLY by quitting your patrol).

This hidden damage *could* be seen, more or less, as the Hull Strength % in SH3.

In a nuthsell, if you see water leaking, this means that your hull integrity has been compromised, and that you should use caution when going deep

WargamerScott
11-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for explaining that. At least it makes sense now. Nonetheless, I still am perplexed as to why Ubi didn't do a better job of explaining any of this? The manual only covers the basics. All these little bits of frustration should have been better explained somewhere. If a seasoned SH3 player such as myself is constantly scratching my head, I hate to think how a complete newb would handle the game!

Ubi: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
SH4 forum enthusiasts: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Riptide_One
11-24-2007, 12:30 AM
WargamerScott, welcome aboard! In case you have not checked it out, I highly recommend that you have a look at the "Tips, Mods, Tools, 100K Club, Online Squadrons, "Adopt A Boat"+ other SH4 info..." post by VikingGrandad. Have a look at the "Silent Hunter 4 Tutorials and Set-Up Tips". There's one entitled "Guide to Completing Missions in SH4" by Beeryus. Be warned. There are certain rituals to completing a mission goal and that you can't end a mission until you do. Also, from my bitter experience, it seems that if you don't complete a goal, get a refit and subsequently complete the goal, the yellow star turns gray but the game will still not let you end the mission when you return to port.

Beeryus, if you are reading this, many thanks my friend. You stopped me from feeding SH4 to the deep six.

Cheers,

Riptide

RangerX3X
11-24-2007, 02:33 AM
To the original post, this is an excellent reference for US Submarine Sonar capabilities during WWII: Sonar Gear (http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/sonar/chap1.htm#1A).

Slightly OT; I remember when I was first playing SH3 thinking that there should be historically accurate missions such as inserting Abwher agents, laying mine fields, etc.

Once implemented in SH4 I realized just how badly this concept sucks and would rather just do patrol grid X for 24 hours again.

Sparhawk81
11-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by WargamerScott:
Thanks for explaining that. At least it makes sense now. Nonetheless, I still am perplexed as to why Ubi didn't do a better job of explaining any of this? The manual only covers the basics. All these little bits of frustration should have been better explained somewhere. If a seasoned SH3 player such as myself is constantly scratching my head, I hate to think how a complete newb would handle the game!

Ubi: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
SH4 forum enthusiasts: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Probably a newb would have less problems that us, even just because he wouldn't know SH3 and so he woudln't be able to compare them...

What to say??!!

Ubi has made quite a mess. They have released SH4 ways too early, when it was far from being tested and debugged... if you check the paper manual and compare it with SH3, you'll notice that many paragraphs have been copied/pasted: the only problem is that you SH4 manual refers to some features of SH3, which DO NOT EXIST in SH4!!!

You can't even THINK of how much this board was "hot", some months ago.

But, luckly, now things have begun going the "proper" way: patch 1.4 has been announced as on the work, Ubi will develop an expansion pack about German U-Boats in the Pacific theatre, we've got excellent modders who have literally made miracles...

Well, all in all, NOW the situation is quite positive...

Sparhawk81
11-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by RangerX3X:

Slightly OT; I remember when I was first playing SH3 thinking that there should be historically accurate missions such as inserting Abwher agents, laying mine fields, etc.

Once implemented in SH4 I realized just how badly this concept sucks and would rather just do patrol grid X for 24 hours again.

Well, maybe this also depends on HOW this feature is implemented...

Riptide_One
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
RangerX3X, most of the fun I recall from my days of playing SH1, I had just patroling a well traveled INJ shipping lanes for targets of opportunity.

Cheers,

Riptide

WargamerScott
11-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Riptide_One:
WargamerScott, welcome aboard! In case you have not checked it out, I highly recommend that you have a look at the "Tips, Mods, Tools, 100K Club, Online Squadrons, "Adopt A Boat"+ other SH4 info..." post by VikingGrandad. Have a look at the "Silent Hunter 4 Tutorials and Set-Up Tips". There's one entitled "Guide to Completing Missions in SH4" by Beeryus.
Riptide

Thanks! I have already referenced the 'Tips, Mods, etc." thread repeatedly. I'm going to check out the tutorial thread next.

Question: Is air search radar a magnet for enemy planes? In my last game (which I had to quit because, inexplicably, it took slight more than a quarter of tank of diesel to get to my patrol destination but well over half a tank to get back at the same speed. I ran out of fuel and had to quit), I had an air search radar installed and was constantly being jumped by enemy planes almost every half hour when I got near Japan. However, in my current mission, I didn't install an AS radar (to be frank, I forgot) and I have sailed right past the southern tip of Japan without encountering a single AC on the way. What the heck?!?

Sparhawk81
11-25-2007, 12:35 PM
No... Jap air cover is quite tight, there are lots of airplanes flying around.

Difference is that while having your radar on, you'll detect much more of them, because you have a wider detection range, and radar is more effective than Watchmen's eyes.

It often happends to me that I detect an airplane on my radar, stay on the surface and then it just flies by, without even thinking I could be there

Sgt_Starbuck
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I too am rather new to the sim. The community here has been quite a help. I had to ask about the leaks also. I still haven't tried lifeguard duty or commando stuff. I guess that we shall learn together. It would be nice if you could see the total percentage of hull integrity as in SH 3. I was trying to sneak into a port and did well but I kept imploding when I would try to get a little deeper. I thought I was hitting mines or a sub net or something. I docked in Brisbane after a couple of very successful missions and they just scrapped my Gato (said they'd never seen a sub beat up that bad) and asked me if I wanted to retire gloriously or take a chance of screwing up my career by taking out a brand new Balao (SP?). I took the new sub. I found out that if you save and then report in you can find out what they want you to do. Reload and don't report in and keep sinking the little devils.

Sarge

walkirie
11-27-2007, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Sgt_Starbuck:
It would be nice if you could see the total percentage of hull integrity as in SH 3.

The new Patch 1.4 give us this necessary information about the situation of the Hull integrity percentage ( like was in SH3 ) ,I dont understand why UBISOFT dont have done this before in the previous patches

Sgt_Starbuck
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Excellent! Not exactly trivial information.

Sarge