PDA

View Full Version : Unrealistic cavalry charge!!

grotesc
09-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Does anybody tells me why the cavalry stops before hitting the opponent? This is very illogical. The cavalry makes damage through SPEED and FORCE OF IMPACT. the unit should just slam into the opponent unit rather stopping before hitting. This is a mistake!

Aseved
09-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Hmm...

Ô┬┐Because movement and attack are two different animations?

Another topic of little importance... we really need new juicy info... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Zamolxis108
09-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Yup. You're right grotesc. The cavalery should have a special speed, for example 10+2, where 10 is the furtherst they can reach an enemy for full damage, and +2 is the number of squares they continue to gallop after the hit.

Or the speed can simply be 10+, where the + represents a certain procent of the distance that the horse continues to gallop after the hit (if the target is closer, the cavalier/champion stops sooner after the hit).

Zamolxis108
09-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Aseved:
Ô┬┐Because movement and attack are two different animations?
They always are. But it's the developer's job not to make it that obvious.

Draconic_Oracle
09-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Its always been like that and should not be bothersome enough... i mean come on... styling issues are already quite lame to discus but now you want to mess with a gameplay thing so it looks more realistic???
The game will not and can't be perfect.. if you want to complain about something complain about something BIG and Important.

Zamolxis108
09-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Well, I haven't seen that video yet (still 2 hours till I'll be home where I can d/l it), but if there really is a break (no matter how short) between the gallop & the hit, I can imagine that doesn't look good. "It's always been like that" is not always an argument. It may not have been possible before, but if now is, why not do it right?

Dark_Magiks
09-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Zamolxis108:
Yup. You're right grotesc. The cavalery should have a special speed, for example 10+2, where 10 is the furtherst they can reach an enemy for full damage, and +2 is the number of squares they continue to gallop after the hit.

Or the speed can simply be 10+, where the + represents a certain procent of the distance that the horse continues to gallop after the hit (if the target is closer, the cavalier/champion stops sooner after the hit).

Well that would be hard to impliment, ie haste plus hitting somone directly on the edge of the battlefield, what do the cavalry charge right off the screen? Also close quaters would look rather rediculous, I think its smarter having them two separate animations, less need for bug fixing.

I think a more important issue, is the cheezy sound of the hooves on the nightmares and the heroes horse http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif it sorta ruins the otherwize amaizingly absorbing atmosphere (music/ambience/graphics/environmental effects)

Surtur1982
09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
So the cavalry stops before it strikes. It is a graphic weakness.
As nearly ALLWAYS when grotesc opens a thread, my answer is:
Minor Importance.

Magic_stick
09-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Surtur1982:
Minor Importance.

hahahaha that was good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Sangrelatto
09-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Hmm if you've noticed there is only a split second between stopping and attacking. Further notice that the Nightmare rears up on its hind legs and thrusts for maximum impact. So I think the developers have considered the possibility of charging, but because of graphical issues canned the idea. Anyway it doesn't look that bad right now either.

grotesc
09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Surtur1982:
Minor Importance.

My answer to all mo********ers like sutur1982 and such is this: if your tiny little brain cant grasp some finesse issues, its not my fault. of minor importance on this earth is ur life. Deal with it or f*** off!

THANK U! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

SuperCyp
09-06-2005, 12:07 PM
The attack of the cavalry seems so unnatural to me... what were those cavalry thinking?

-"Lets have huge long weapons that can break the armor of our enemies!"
-"Yeah, and lets charge faster so we can damage our enemies stronger"
-"yes, and then stop right there before hurting the enemy... we don't want to make him angry do we?" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Well, it might sound stupid, but I figured out something: the attack of the cavalry from HoMM3 looks more realistic since it has its weapon inclined more towards his enemy. Think about it... wouldn't it just make more sense if the cavalry didn't hold thier weapons so high?

Well, no metter how exactly this attack looks like, I don't think it can change the success of the game by a bit. So far, now I'm very pleased with what I've seen. *crossing hands like mr.burns from the Simpsons* excellent! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

grotesc
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Zamolxis108:

how about this idea: if the cavalry comes from a distance in a full charge, slaming into the opponent, the opoonent is knocked back a few squares if not killed!

Zamolxis108
09-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by grotesc:
how about this idea: if the cavalry comes from a distance in a full charge, slaming into the opponent, the opoonent is knocked back a few squares if not killed!
Can be, but not necesarily. If you think of the jousting competitions, this didn't really happen. I'd say we need a more powerfull spell (or some behemoth punch) for that.

Sajentine
09-06-2005, 12:38 PM

I like your idea, but I would be very happy just with a graphics update.

vladpopescu2005
09-06-2005, 01:42 PM
It is true that all these are details, like the looks of angels, griffin-helmet, etc.
It is also true that the game is made of many "minor" details like these. So if they **** up a good deal of them, then the whole game might stink.

Zamolxis108
09-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by vladpopescu2005:
It is true that all these are details, like the looks of angels, griffin-helmet, etc.
It is also true that the game is made of many "minor" details like these. So if they **** up a good deal of them, then the whole game might stink.
True. Same happened with H4. So what if some creatures move like paralithics? So what if the movements limitation are sometimes annoying? So what if the caravan/potion/etc system is sometimes annoying? So what if there are a couple of bugs? And so on... Well, all this "So what?'s" became very heavy in the ballance and managed to turn over the very good ideas, like the secondary skill systems, advance hero class systems a.s.o.

Details are not to be ignored in a game like this.

Surtur1982
09-06-2005, 03:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surtur1982:
Minor Importance.

My answer to all mo********ers like sutur1982 and such is this: if your tiny little brain cant grasp some finesse issues, its not my fault. of minor importance on this earth is ur life. Deal with it or f*** off!

THANK U! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Oh, boy! You are funny. Please keep posting!
I open the forum every morning, look for your newest post and enjoy the good-morning-joke.
You should become a profesional comedian.

smec
09-07-2005, 10:08 AM
In the actual battle engine, it is indeed difficult to do it right (there is nothing wrong for the battle to look "realistic", it's just much more tedious to program it in this way). Hopefully the next HOMM implementation will be a little bit like Total War and then indeed it would be nice to see 200 champions charging and mowing down 1000+ skeletons.

Val-Gaav
09-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by smec:
.....it would be nice to see 200 champions charging and moving down 1000+ skeletons.
Why ?
for realism ?

if that would happened it just wouldn't be the same game any more ....

What next ? Whole army moving on adventure map ?
I mean come on it's just a strategy game not a simulator or sth ..

Surtur1982
09-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Val-Gaav:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smec:
.....it would be nice to see 200 champions charging and moving down 1000+ skeletons.
Why ?
for realism ?

if that would happened it just wouldn't be the same game any more ....

What next ? Whole army moving on adventure map ?
I mean come on it's just a strategy game not a simulator or sth .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, thats right. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif