PDA

View Full Version : O/T about Havok physics engine

DebbieDec2003
05-06-2006, 05:36 AM
I just saw this article (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/06/0147242&from=rss) about the Havok engine for Physics in a game. GRRRR, everytime I think about them not making a Mac port for it. But c'est la vie. /shrug

Reverend Vader
05-06-2006, 09:39 PM
My understanding is that Cyan intends to use a different physics engine in "N'Uru." At least, that's what I've gleaned from in-cavern conversations with Moke, Rand, and GreyDragon...

Bye, bye Havok!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

SilentObserver
05-20-2006, 06:10 PM
The thing that worries me about a change in the engine is a little horror fantasy of coming up time for the announcement of the return of URU: Live, and they tell me it won't run on Win98 the way all the previous URU material has...

I know, I should be on XP by now, but it's hard to commit the money, and the time -- because the only way XP really works right, I'm told, is when installed clean on a formatted hard disk, and that, for me, would mean backing up about 140 GB of data and, after installing XP, reinstalling about 30-40 programs (some of which almost certainly won't work under XP).

Well, no sense borrowing trouble, but I wonder if it's a bad sign that the questionnaire in the Beta signup didn't even ask what Windows version I'm running...

Alahmnat
05-21-2006, 04:27 AM
The dxdiag report you sent has what OS version you're running.

Support for Windows 98 has been largely discontinued across most of the computing industry, since Microsoft will cease support for it entirely as of July of this year. Most video card drivers will no longer be updated for Windows 98, and DirectX 10 is actually going to be XP/Vista only, so if you want to continue to play any new games in the future, you're going to have to upgrade your OS sometime soon (assuming Vista ever comes out...).

That said, Cyan has done what they can to ensure that End of Ages doesn't explode when running on Windows 98, but you may encounter some texture glitches and other minor anomalies when playing the game that weren't resolved because, well, it was a problem on an unsupported OS and wasn't a regular enough issue to expend time fixing it. I would imagine a similar approach will be taken with Uru Live, namely that the game will run, but there will be no official support for it, so if it doesn't work, you're pretty much SOL, but if it does, then hooray.

SilentObserver
05-21-2006, 10:09 AM
That's pretty much what I'm used to hearing, yeah. Of course, it would never have been an issue had Microsoft bothered to make the upgrade really work right, but from what I hear upgrading 98 to XP commonly results in having to reinstall clean anyway.

So, sometime when I can afford $100 or so for a copy of XP Upgrade, I'll have to dedicate a week to backing up (I got a 200 GB drive a couple months ago just for backups) and clean installing XP, getting it set up so I can stand to use it, and then reinstalling everything and copying the data back.

With luck I'll be able to do that on one of my machines before fall (OS upgrades are in competition with film and chemicals, and photography keeps winning because the computers run pretty well as they are).

Alahmnat
05-21-2006, 01:09 PM
This is why I made it a point years ago to store all of my personal data (files, programs, downloads, etc.) on a separate physical drive from the drive running Windows. Of course, I did it mainly because of numerous bad experiences with data loss due to Windows 95 blowing up our computer on a regular basis, but it does make re-installations and upgrades a lot less time consuming knowing that everything I need is on a separate drive, so I can do whatever I want to the Windows drive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Mr Zebe D
05-21-2006, 05:10 PM
My workaround has always been to have two partitions, an 8 GB O/S c:\ and a data d:\ rest.

W 98 to XP wasn't that problematic for me. It's easier if you can boot from CD-ROM. [Depends on the age of the motherboard / BIOS].

Gorange
05-22-2006, 01:52 AM
My experience was a foul up.
I had WinME and a LOT of junk on my hard disk, The impression I got that by installing XP it was to destroy EVERYTHING before installing, to my surprise the majority of data on my HD after installing means that I am in a position that I dread of backing up something like 7Gigs of data, and at the time I only had CD writer. I have a dvd writer now, and I wait till I get the rest of my PC parts before trying a fresh clean install.
Should only take a couple of weeks.