PDA

View Full Version : Abilities and how to use them...

stingray10
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
1. Morph is extremely useful and you can use it to help duplicate generic characters of your kind and confuse your pursuer. However when blending in a non-static group do not allow the system to blend for you...it makes mistakes and makes it really obvious for your pursuer.While blended\morph usually from experience the pursuer will also blend in. Use this time to stun your pursuer subtly. However take into account that your pursuer may use fire crackers, smoke bomb charge, and templar vision. When in manhunt allow your pursuers to take out some of these personas then stun them.
2. Disguise allows the character to change their their appearance which in manhunt and chest capture is useful because the pursuer is expecting to see the character from the game mode screen. However white lines pulsate and show you changing which can be spotted by a pursuer.
3. Sprint boost allows the character to run at a quicker pace and can prevent the effects of the throwing knife. Also, climbing is quicker but can be easily identified due to sound and the streaked lines.
4. The hidden gun allows the avatar to lock onto a target and fire a bullet which will kill the avatar. However the kill score is low and is possibly used as a last resort. The hidden gun is useful when you entering a chase scene as it eliminates the target without the "chase" part.
5. The smoke bomb allows the player to trap their victims and pursuers allowing time for stuns and if using the long lasting smoke bomb, a focus kill. It is possibly the most useful ability. This is possibly the most efficient way to stun a pursuer however beware when your three pursuers are trapped within it, only stun one is using a non-long lasting smoke bomb since a stun takes time and the smoke bomb will expire. If there are only two pursuers and you are using a long lasting smoke bomb stun them, you will have time.
6. Poison allows the player to kill the target over a short period of time. It is barely noticeable and is extremely valuable, it gives the most amount of points. Using it with a long lasting smoke bomb can allow time for the focus bonus although there is a high possibilty for it to be intercepted. Which means a waste of the poison and loss of the kill. Also there is high chance of being stunned as you are extremely close to your target. Overall, this is the second best ability.
7. Throwing knives slow the target and if climbing make the target fall, however you have little time to catch up with the target. Use it when a target is nearing a chase breaker. It can also be used on pursuers to slow them down.
8. Firecrackers can locate a target and blind pursuers and your target. However if the pursuer has locked on, and presses the square button, the pursuer can still kill you. Your pursuers and target can also escape and will randomly run. It is inefficient.
9. Charge automatically locates the right target in a crowd and kills them. Also it can stun a pursuer but when moving to the target it has a wide arc causing them to not hit their target if not at the right angle. It is useful within manhunt and chest capture.
10. Templar vision shows anybody who is disguising themselves and your target. Pursuers in red and your target in blue. However you are highly noticeable and your target and pursuer can spot you.
11. Decoy allows the player to send a duplicate of the same character running away. It can distract pursuers and spook your target out of hiding. However the further the decoy moves away from you, the compass will not highlight it and follow it. It is inefficient.
12. Mute silences all characters around yourself, stopping your pursuer and target to use their abilities. It only lasts for a second and has a wide radius however it is the worse ability to use. The pursuer can move for a quick second and come back for the kill.

I hope this helps people to choose their abilities. But whatever you do not use MUTE!
Psn:Stingray110

Squiiddish
02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by stingray10:

I hope this helps people to choose their abilities. But whatever you do not use MUTE!
...why?

yuanxd
02-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Please put a blank line between the paragraphs. It is easier to read.

ARIANit_
02-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Squiiddish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stingray10:

...why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly. I love mute. It's awesome.

iseelifeinhd
02-27-2011, 01:45 PM
I really dislike this post. For the most part, everyone on the forums knows what each ability does, and have likely already chosen which ones work for them. I'm really trying not to be critical here, but who are you to tell them which abilities they should and should not be using?

AND MUTE IS THE GREATEST THING ON THE PLANET. Next to Twinkies that is.

BlacklightDemon
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ARIANit_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Squiiddish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stingray10:

...why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly. I love mute. It's awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This. Once you learn how to time it, mute is a really good ability. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

H3ll_on_Earth-
02-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey stingray I ran into you last night, great match we had you seem quite good.

Warforger
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
I love disguise, when I'm being chased I like to run across a corner out of sight then use it while near a crowd, my pursurer gets confused for a moment and kills a guy in the crowd. The downside to this is that you can't shake them when using it, and if you have multiple pursurers it's a pain in the ***,last night though I did this, one of my pursurers killed a civilian and then I smoke bombed the other and stunned him. It was awesome because I got points for lure and stunning my opponets effectively the equivalent of a kill, and I like it especially since I prefer luring and tricking my pursuers to killing my victims.

rocketxsurgeon
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes, why not mute?
It's like my second favourite ability.

SniffyPenguin
02-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Mute is the best ability in the game, no question.

If it had a shorter cool-down, it'd be broken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

fightnbluehen
02-27-2011, 02:05 PM

But whatever you do not use MUTE!

This is all I read and all I needed to. Mute is fantastic, at least in Wanted which is what I play most of the time. To put a categorical "no" on mute... well, safe to say I disagree with that.

fastfast
02-27-2011, 02:09 PM
i use mute a lot, timed right its funny as you knock down your pursuer but it never stops poison.

Squiiddish
02-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SniffyPenguin:

If it had a shorter cool-down, it'd be broken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I'm going to go ahead and say Wrong, Smokebomb.

stingray10
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Throughout playing the multiplayer I have seen people use mute an many people have muted me but by the time they have done it and get over to me I'm about to kill them. I didn't literally mean don use it, I was only tryin to make a suggestion! Anyway when I began playing the multiplayer I would have like someone to do this for me so this is the reason I did it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ARIANit_
02-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, but it's better to use when you run up to them, spam it and then PUNCH THEM IN THE FAAACE.

SniffyPenguin
02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Squiiddish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SniffyPenguin:

I'm going to go ahead and say Wrong, Smokebomb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope that's just a playful comment. I'd hate to think you're a ****** who doesn't understand subjectivity since I'm quite fond of your vids.

As for the reason why I think mute is better than smoke.: Bigger range, instant effect and works vertically.

MrJLBoyyy
02-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Smoke and Mute both need about half a second to register. Smoke also traps people inside and makes them immobile for a longer period of time. You can use Mute aggresively by simply running towards the target, but the same thing can be achieved with smokebomb if you take a step back since smoke has a bigger range. Just saying.

XxSewerRat28xX
02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
its actually a lot harder to escape a mute stan than you would think. Ive had people stun me from across the room and i was like :O

MrJLBoyyy
02-27-2011, 03:18 PM
The only way I outlasted a mute was by using a mute as well... other than that mute pretty much gets you all the time.

cptn_k
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
tldr

purpose?

MrJLBoyyy
02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
It's his views of how abilities are. He said some abilities are useless, and people are disagreeing. DECOY IS FTW!!! (you forgot to say how you can use decoy offensively btw)

cptn_k
02-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MrJLBoyyy:
It's his views of how abilities are. He said some abilities are useless, and people are disagreeing. DECOY IS FTW!!! (you forgot to say how you can use decoy offensively btw)

Oh.

So it's not a complete assessment of all abilities advantages and disadvantages then. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
(I presume brackets are for OP?)

ABXantos
02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
This is not a good guide what so ever

MrJLBoyyy
02-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah I just noticed how much he said Decoy sucks...

It was not very fun to read since it was bias (IMO please don't hate me) and it wasn't organized all pretty-like.

STYJ
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Off topic :

Guys , stop hating on the OP . He's just trying to contribute something helpful to the community . I'm sure most of us can probably correct him in some way or another and also correct / help each other as well but yeah .. I know hate is probably too strong of a word to use .

@cptn , I'm going to be straight forward with you about this , I don't like you (: . I don't see why random people can't have a chance to voice their opinion but you simply have to come in and say tldr . I mean , it's pretty rude don't you think ?

Personally, You almost sound like as someone who boot licks . I don't mean to offend you in anyway but I'm just saying , these "celebrity" players aren't the only people playing . They make posts and you give them good responses . Okay fine , but others do get a chance as well .

so yeah .. lol .

ARIANit_
02-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by STYJ:
Off topic :

Guys , stop hating on the OP . He's just trying to contribute something helpful to the community . I'm sure most of us can probably correct him in some way or another and also correct / help each other as well but yeah .. I know hate is probably too strong of a word to use .

@cptn , I'm going to be straight forward with you about this , I don't like you (: . I don't see why random people can't have a chance to voice their opinion but you simply have to come in and say tldr . I mean , it's pretty rude don't you think ?

Personally, You almost sound like as someone who boot licks . I don't mean to offend you in anyway but I'm just saying , these "celebrity" players aren't the only people playing . They make posts and you give them good responses . Okay fine , but others do get a chance as well .

so yeah .. lol .
tldr.
LOL JK. Though, you have a point. There wasn't any reason for cptn_k to charge in and drop that so cruely.
But it is a sucky guide. It's more like a series of opinions.

obliviondoll
02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
3. Sprint boost allows the character to run at a quicker pace and can prevent the effects of the throwing knife. Also, climbing is quicker but can be easily identified due to sound and the streaked lines.
Actually, Sprint boots doesn't prevent Knives. Sprint Boost cancels the effect of Knives when used after them, Knives interrupt Sprint Boost if they're thrown at someone already sprinting. Same dynamic applies to Charge.

7. Throwing knives slow the target and if climbing make the target fall, however you have little time to catch up with the target. Use it when a target is nearing a chase breaker. It can also be used on pursuers to slow them down.
Add to this: Charge and Sprint Boost are canceled when hit with Knives, but either ability will cancel the Knives effect if used after they hit.

8. Firecrackers can locate a target and blind pursuers and your target. However if the pursuer has locked on, and presses the square button, the pursuer can still kill you. Your pursuers and target can also escape and will randomly run. It is inefficient.
Actually, Firecrackers clear your lock, don't mash square when you've been blinded in the middle of a crowd, you WILL kill the wrong target.

EDIT: It's not inefficient when used correctly - I use it on Manhunt offense to expose targets, occasionally an idiot will stand around and not react, giving a free Poison, but usually the targets scatter, giving me and my teammates a few free kills on easy blinded targets. They also make stunlocking almost impossible, which is nice.

12. Mute silences all characters around yourself, stopping your pursuer and target to use their abilities. It only lasts for a second and has a wide radius however it is the worse ability to use. The pursuer can move for a quick second and come back for the kill.
There are a lot of top players who use Mute and can prove you wrong.

I'm not good with it myself, but I've played against plenty of people who are. If you know the timing, it can be incredible on both offense and defense. Just because you're not good with an ability, doesn't mean it's not a good ability.

cptn_k
02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
@cptn , I'm going to be straight forward with you about this , I don't like you (: .

You're entitled to your opinion, but with respect and to be equally as blunt, you don't know me.

I don't see why random people can't have a chance to voice their opinion but you simply have to come in and say tldr . I mean , it's pretty rude don't you think ?

That's a fair point, and I shall apologise to anyone I may have offended for sounding rude, sorry.
I was merely refering to a wall of text that I found hard to read, and seemed at first glance like the information taken straight out of the game, which seemed slightly unecessary.
However, I am now replying AFTER reading the OP, and can appreciate why it was written, albeit without complete objectivity and accuracy.
I would however suggest the use of the search button, as there are many topics debating every ability and their uses, it would maybe be pertinant to contibute to existing posts, rather than making new ones?

so yeah .. lol .

Not offended, boot licking is the very opposite of how I am, so it makes me laugh that you think of me like that, and how you could ever draw that conclusion!
If you read through most of my posts I try to offer objective perspectives and unbiased opinions whenever I post (unless I'm being daft), and certainly don't celebrity worship.

Back on topic...

Morph can be used offensively, if you get to a group you think your target is in, then morph, they will be revealed, however this will make you very likely to get stunned, as the time taken to identify, lock and kill is longer than it takes to hit stun.

Disguise (not LL) will give you an easy hidden bonus for no effort = WIN.
Used defensively, when you JUST hear whispers (and your pursuer hopefully cannot clearly see you) you can disguise, join a group, then wait for an easy stun, or go hunting your pursuer for a stun.

Sprint boost should give easy escapes and bonuses when a chase is started, but use it wisely and be good at avoiding NPC's, or you'll stumble and die.

The hidden gun can be useful for getting 'mid-air' bonuses (to help get greater and extreme variety) if you can shoot while your target is jumping/leaping/dropping, or dealing with roofers and runners (along with knives). Cannot be used defensively.

Smoke bomb focus kills can be countered by mute, it will remove the lock and not give enough time when re-locked to get focus, and will probably get you stunned.

Poison cannot be used defensively. Different types of poison will take different times to act and different kill bonuses. It can be intercepted easily by another pursuer, to ruin high point kills.

Throwing knives used from above can give the chance for focus kills, and coupled with the hidden gun are the best for dealing with roofers and runners.

Firecrackers are best used from above offensively, so the target cannot get a lock and stun, and can give a chance for focus/aerial/acrobatic kills.
Used defensively it can help you get an escape and/or stun as the other players get white out, but you could still get killed.

Charge is great for defense for the (almost) guaranteed stun, unless the other player has smoke.

TV is best only used from above, on morphed crowds.

Decoy can be used offensively as well...locking onto your target (another player) will not allow the abillity to be used - target found. If you lock an NPC and send them, they usually spook the target - target found.

Mute is great, but requires excellent timing to get the best effect, and has a vertical element to it's coverage, meaning if you are about to get dropped on, it can give you time to get away.

disclaimer- this is in no way complete and comprehensive.

Top and bottom is every ability and tactic has a counter, and used well can have great effect.
Varied playstyle and changing abilities regularly will make a better player, and confuse the hell out of the opponent(s).

Jack-Reacher
02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I think smokebomb is better than mute simply because it has more uses. You can use it offensively and defensively in Wanted, and in Mnahunt I use it to get multiple kills on offense. Mute doesnt kick in instantly

obliviondoll
02-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by cptn_k:
Morph can be used offensively, if you get to a group you think your target is in, then morph, they will be revealed, however this will make you very likely to get stunned, as the time taken to identify, lock and kill is longer than it takes to hit stun.
It's, oddly enough, better to use this if you're a runner.

Drop into the middle of the group, and Morph, run a short distance, then spin and lock. Saw a few players who used to do that well in the beta, but only seen it used effectively once since release (And done it once myself when I decided to go Captain Awesome before changing profile sets).

MrJLBoyyy
02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
You cannot get stunned/killed if you use mute when someone charges. Just thought I should point that out.

STYJ
02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by cptn_k:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STYJ:
@cptn , I'm going to be straight forward with you about this , I don't like you (: .

You're entitled to your opinion, but with respect and to be equally as blunt, you don't know me.

I don't see why random people can't have a chance to voice their opinion but you simply have to come in and say tldr . I mean , it's pretty rude don't you think ?

That's a fair point, and I shall apologise to anyone I may have offended for sounding rude, sorry.
I was merely refering to a wall of text that I found hard to read, and seemed at first glance like the information taken straight out of the game, which seemed slightly unecessary.
However, I am now replying AFTER reading the OP, and can appreciate why it was written, albeit without complete objectivity and accuracy.
I would however suggest the use of the search button, as there are many topics debating every ability and their uses, it would maybe be pertinant to contibute to existing posts, rather than making new ones?

so yeah .. lol .

Not offended, boot licking is the very opposite of how I am, so it makes me laugh that you think of me like that, and how you could ever draw that conclusion!
If you read through most of my posts I try to offer objective perspectives and unbiased opinions whenever I post (unless I'm being daft), and certainly don't celebrity worship.

Back on topic...

Disguise (not LL) will give you an easy hidden bonus for no effort = WIN.
Used defensively, when you JUST hear whispers (and your pursuer hopefully cannot clearly see you) you can disguise, join a group, then wait for an easy stun, or go hunting your pursuer for a stun.

Sprint boost should give easy escapes and bonuses when a chase is started, but use it wisely and be good at avoiding NPC's, or you'll stumble and die.

The hidden gun can be useful for getting 'mid-air' bonuses (to help get greater and extreme variety) if you can shoot while your target is jumping/leaping/dropping, or dealing with roofers and runners (along with knives). Cannot be used defensively.

Smoke bomb focus kills can be countered by mute, it will remove the lock and not give enough time when re-locked to get focus, and will probably get you stunned.

Poison cannot be used defensively. Different types of poison will take different times to act and different kill bonuses. It can be intercepted easily by another pursuer, to ruin high point kills.

Throwing knives used from above can give the chance for focus kills, and coupled with the hidden gun are the best for dealing with roofers and runners.

Firecrackers are best used from above offensively, so the target cannot get a lock and stun, and can give a chance for focus/aerial/acrobatic kills.
Used defensively it can help you get an escape and/or stun as the other players get white out, but you could still get killed.

Charge is great for defense for the (almost) guaranteed stun, unless the other player has smoke.

TV is best only used from above, on morphed crowds.

Decoy can be used offensively as well...locking onto your target (another player) will not allow the abillity to be used - target found. If you lock an NPC and send them, they usually spook the target - target found.

Mute is great, but requires excellent timing to get the best effect, and has a vertical element to it's coverage, meaning if you are about to get dropped on, it can give you time to get away.

disclaimer- this is in no way complete and comprehensive.

Top and bottom is every ability and tactic has a counter, and used well can have great effect.
Varied playstyle and changing abilities regularly will make a better player, and confuse the hell out of the opponent(s). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SEE ! I like you so much more already . I take back what I said about you about me not liking you . People change their minds really quickly, at least I do . Haha :P

And , I don't go onto someone's profile and look at all the posts made by them so pardon my hasty conclusion .

on topic : I'll give my opinion on this later .

IBYCFOTA
02-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I'll echo what some others have said about Mute. When you figure out the timing, there might not be a better ability in the game. The only real downside is the long cooldown time, and even that can be remedied to a degree with RR and Boost Cooldowns. It can also be used with extreme effectiveness as both an offensive and defensive tool. In my experience, it's a must to have when you're playing against good players. There's almost no counter to it if used correctly.

NORTHBOERN1
02-27-2011, 09:29 PM
I use mute before smoke, and get killed for it. It's still my favorite ability because it seems like a faster stun than smoke; and less obvious to your pursuer. My 2 cents.

Zoidberg747
02-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Every ability has its uses. I personally dont ever use poison(very recently quit using it) and hidden gun, because both are limited to offense, but all other abilities have their uses for offense and defense. Everyone has their own opinion, dont feel bad because people start trolling you. I agree and disagree with your post in many ways, but thanks for taking the time to post it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stingray10
02-28-2011, 01:25 AM
One of the other reasons that I Did this post was to express my opinion. Everyone Is allowed to do that so it is an exaggeration and a step to far to say you hate this post. I'm not going to echo information from the game, I wanted to help people to choose their abilities with my opinion! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif