PDA

View Full Version : Need Tech Support re Tech Support

SoulsCollective
02-15-2007, 05:24 AM
After trying to get some help with problems I'm encountering with this game, I have come to the conclusion that Ubisoft/Arkane do not care about me in the slightest. After submitting a request for help on the official Tech Help site, I get these responses. I was initially pleasantly surprised, seeing as how it is extraordinarily difficult to get any help on these forums, but that turned out to be wishful thinking...

Transcript of our correspondence follows.

Customer (******) 02/09/2007 10:31 PM
Hello?!?
This has got to be the most useless Technical Support service I have ever used. You are taking over a week to answer each of my questions, when the maximum time you allow me to answer yours is 48 hours. Shall I assume that if you do not respond within 48 hours, you do not care?

I paid $100 for this game, under the expectation it would work. Included in that is the ability to access Tech Support for help in getting it to work, or at least, for all my other game purchases that has been so. My system exceeds all of the recommended hardware requirements for your game by quite a bit, and there is NO excuse for getting 8 FPS at 640*480 with everything off.

If you aren't going to help me fix a problem with your game, I want a full refund of the purchase price.

Customer (*******) 02/03/2007 10:29 PM
Deleting the config file doesn't seem to have helped. A new dxdiag file is attached.

Customer (*******) 01/30/2007 11:50 PM
And this forum crash prevented you from replying to me for 13 days?

In any case, I am on holidays at present, and will not be able to do any kind of troubleshooting until I get back home, which will be late Friday. I'll be able to follow your steps then.

However, I can address one of your reccomended steps now. As I said in response to your first reply, I have a Steam version of DMoMM, and so downloading any patches a) would not work and b) is entirely unnecessary.

Response (Ubisoft technical support) 01/30/2007 02:12 PM
Hello *****,

Due to a recent crash in the forums we are unable to recover the troubleshooting steps you have previously done in regards to this problem. I can only suggest a number of possible troubleshooting steps to try and fix this :

Patch the game from the following page :
- http://patches.ubi.com/dark_messiah/dark_messiah_1.02_us_uk_fr_it_sp.exe

Please delete the following file :

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Dark Messiah of Might and Magic\mm\cfg\config.cfg

This is the configuration file for the game. By deleting this file it forces the game to re-evaluate your systems abilities.

If the problem happens after this, please upload a fresh dxdiag file.

Kind Regards,
Ubisoft Technical Support.

Customer (*******) 01/23/2007 01:32 AM
Hello?!? It's been six days since I got any kind of response from anyone...

Customer (*******) 01/20/2007 01:59 AM
Um...hello? Did anyone get my response?

Customer (*****) 01/17/2007 08:27 PM
"Go to start>run>typ dxdiag>more help>override>now set the override to 60hz"
Done. No change. Games up until the Spider Temple run at 40-60 fps, games past it at 7-8 fps.

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 01:07 PM
Good day *****,

Go to start>run>typ dxdiag>more help>override>now set the override to 60hz.

Kind regards,
Ubisoft Technical Support

Customer (*******) 01/17/2007 12:27 PM
"When the game loads up hit ctr-alt-del and goto processes tab. find (INSERT NAME OF THE GAME HERE).exe, highlight it and right click on it. click on affinity. if it has two processors checked (cpu 0 and cpu 1) uncheck cpu 1 (the virtual cpu) so it runs only on single (real) cpu."
You forgot to INSERT NAME OF GAME HERE (mm.exe, FYI), and I think you're going through the wrong set of troubleshooting steps here. I don't have an Intel CPU with hyperthreading, I have an actual dual core processor, ie. two real CPUs.

In any case, setting affinity to either core makes no difference.

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 12:18 PM
Good day *******,

When the game loads up hit ctr-alt-del and goto processes tab. find (INSERT NAME OF THE GAME HERE).exe, highlight it and right click on it. click on affinity. if it has two processors checked (cpu 0 and cpu 1) uncheck cpu 1 (the virtual cpu) so it runs only on single (real) cpu.

Kind regards,

Customer (*******) 01/17/2007 11:46 AM
Here you are.

Thanks for the prompt responses, btw.

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 10:54 AM
Good day *******,

To better serve you, we need a text version of the DirectX file that is in your system. This file reports all drivers for your sound and video card, as well as other vital information about your system that will help us in resolving your problem.

Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system. Download the latest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/directx. After installing DirectX, follow these steps:

1. From Windows, click Start->Run
2. In the Open: box, Type DXDIAG
3. Once the DXDIAG file is open, click on the "save all information..."¯ button
4. Click the save button to save the file as a text file in your Desktop.
5. Log into the Ubi Soft Database by clicking the weblink in this email. Using your ubi.com login name, login to our database and add the file as an attachment to your incident.

Kind regards,

Customer (*******) 01/17/2007 09:23 AM
"Close down the background applications, just to make sure that there is no conflict while playing the game.

Close down background applications:
**Disconnect internet**, Click Start > Run > type msconfig > Click the Startup tab > Click Disable All button > Apply > OK, and restart your computer."

Done, as far as possible. I'm running a RAID array, I need my wireless driver so Steam can get on the internet, and my mouse and keyboard don't work without their services, so I can't disable those. Additionally, I'm assuming you don't want me to disable the AMD Dual-Core Optimiser you recommend we install to fix issues with AMD dual-core processors. No change. New games work fine, games at and beyond the Spider Temple are stuck at 8 FPS.

Besides, if background apps were the problem, why only cause issues starting halfway through the game?

"Delete the temporary files from your computer:
Click Start > Run > type %temp% > OK > click Edit > Select All > Delete."

Done. No change.

"Also download the availible patches from patches.ubi.com."

As I said in my thread, I'm running the Steam version of DMoMM, and according to Steam, it's fully up-to-date (Current Release - 12/12/06).

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 09:04 AM
Good day *****,

Close down the background applications, just to make sure that there is no conflict while playing the game.

·Close down background applications:
**Disconnect internet**, Click Start > Run > type msconfig > Click the Startup tab > Click Disable All button > Apply > OK, and restart your computer.

·Delete the temporary files from your computer:
Click Start > Run > type %temp% > OK > click Edit > Select All > Delete.

Also download the availible patches from patches.ubi.com.

Kind regards,

Customer (**********) 01/17/2007 08:42 AM
As described on your Tech Support forums here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3921096804/m/9601058425 , I'm getting really strange performance issues with DMoMM. Up a certain point in the Spider Temple, I've been getting between 40-60 FPS on the recommended settings for my system (1024x768, 2X AA and 2x AnIso, full HDR and everything except Texture Detail on the highest setting (Texture is on High)). Now, regardless of the graphics settings I use (even dropping to every possible detail on mimimum and forcing DX 8.0 or 7.0), my FPS according to DMoMM (using cl_showfps 2) does not go above 8, for which there is absolutely no logical reason on my system.

My hardware/software settings:
AMD s939 X2 @ 2.7 GHz
2GB DDR500 RAM
256 7800 GTX
Windows XP SP2
4Gb pagefile

Please, read my thread before replying, as it details what I've done to try and solve this.

SoulsCollective
02-15-2007, 05:24 AM
After trying to get some help with problems I'm encountering with this game, I have come to the conclusion that Ubisoft/Arkane do not care about me in the slightest. After submitting a request for help on the official Tech Help site, I get these responses. I was initially pleasantly surprised, seeing as how it is extraordinarily difficult to get any help on these forums, but that turned out to be wishful thinking...

Transcript of our correspondence follows.

Customer (******) 02/09/2007 10:31 PM
Hello?!?
This has got to be the most useless Technical Support service I have ever used. You are taking over a week to answer each of my questions, when the maximum time you allow me to answer yours is 48 hours. Shall I assume that if you do not respond within 48 hours, you do not care?

I paid $100 for this game, under the expectation it would work. Included in that is the ability to access Tech Support for help in getting it to work, or at least, for all my other game purchases that has been so. My system exceeds all of the recommended hardware requirements for your game by quite a bit, and there is NO excuse for getting 8 FPS at 640*480 with everything off.

If you aren't going to help me fix a problem with your game, I want a full refund of the purchase price.

Customer (*******) 02/03/2007 10:29 PM
Deleting the config file doesn't seem to have helped. A new dxdiag file is attached.

Customer (*******) 01/30/2007 11:50 PM
And this forum crash prevented you from replying to me for 13 days?

In any case, I am on holidays at present, and will not be able to do any kind of troubleshooting until I get back home, which will be late Friday. I'll be able to follow your steps then.

However, I can address one of your reccomended steps now. As I said in response to your first reply, I have a Steam version of DMoMM, and so downloading any patches a) would not work and b) is entirely unnecessary.

Response (Ubisoft technical support) 01/30/2007 02:12 PM
Hello *****,

Due to a recent crash in the forums we are unable to recover the troubleshooting steps you have previously done in regards to this problem. I can only suggest a number of possible troubleshooting steps to try and fix this :

Patch the game from the following page :
- http://patches.ubi.com/dark_messiah/dark_messiah_1.02_us_uk_fr_it_sp.exe

Please delete the following file :

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Dark Messiah of Might and Magic\mm\cfg\config.cfg

This is the configuration file for the game. By deleting this file it forces the game to re-evaluate your systems abilities.

If the problem happens after this, please upload a fresh dxdiag file.

Kind Regards,
Ubisoft Technical Support.

Customer (*******) 01/23/2007 01:32 AM
Hello?!? It's been six days since I got any kind of response from anyone...

Customer (*******) 01/20/2007 01:59 AM
Um...hello? Did anyone get my response?

Customer (*****) 01/17/2007 08:27 PM
"Go to start>run>typ dxdiag>more help>override>now set the override to 60hz"
Done. No change. Games up until the Spider Temple run at 40-60 fps, games past it at 7-8 fps.

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 01:07 PM
Good day *****,

Go to start>run>typ dxdiag>more help>override>now set the override to 60hz.

Kind regards,

Customer (*******) 01/17/2007 12:27 PM
"When the game loads up hit ctr-alt-del and goto processes tab. find (INSERT NAME OF THE GAME HERE).exe, highlight it and right click on it. click on affinity. if it has two processors checked (cpu 0 and cpu 1) uncheck cpu 1 (the virtual cpu) so it runs only on single (real) cpu."
You forgot to INSERT NAME OF GAME HERE (mm.exe, FYI), and I think you're going through the wrong set of troubleshooting steps here. I don't have an Intel CPU with hyperthreading, I have an actual dual core processor, ie. two real CPUs.

In any case, setting affinity to either core makes no difference.

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 12:18 PM
Good day *******,

When the game loads up hit ctr-alt-del and goto processes tab. find (INSERT NAME OF THE GAME HERE).exe, highlight it and right click on it. click on affinity. if it has two processors checked (cpu 0 and cpu 1) uncheck cpu 1 (the virtual cpu) so it runs only on single (real) cpu.

Kind regards,

Customer (*******) 01/17/2007 11:46 AM
Here you are.

Thanks for the prompt responses, btw.

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 10:54 AM
Good day *******,

To better serve you, we need a text version of the DirectX file that is in your system. This file reports all drivers for your sound and video card, as well as other vital information about your system that will help us in resolving your problem.

Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system. Download the latest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/directx. After installing DirectX, follow these steps:

1. From Windows, click Start->Run
2. In the Open: box, Type DXDIAG
3. Once the DXDIAG file is open, click on the "save all information..."¯ button
4. Click the save button to save the file as a text file in your Desktop.
5. Log into the Ubi Soft Database by clicking the weblink in this email. Using your ubi.com login name, login to our database and add the file as an attachment to your incident.

Kind regards,

Customer (*******) 01/17/2007 09:23 AM
"Close down the background applications, just to make sure that there is no conflict while playing the game.

Close down background applications:
**Disconnect internet**, Click Start > Run > type msconfig > Click the Startup tab > Click Disable All button > Apply > OK, and restart your computer."

Done, as far as possible. I'm running a RAID array, I need my wireless driver so Steam can get on the internet, and my mouse and keyboard don't work without their services, so I can't disable those. Additionally, I'm assuming you don't want me to disable the AMD Dual-Core Optimiser you recommend we install to fix issues with AMD dual-core processors. No change. New games work fine, games at and beyond the Spider Temple are stuck at 8 FPS.

Besides, if background apps were the problem, why only cause issues starting halfway through the game?

"Delete the temporary files from your computer:
Click Start > Run > type %temp% > OK > click Edit > Select All > Delete."

Done. No change.

"Also download the availible patches from patches.ubi.com."

As I said in my thread, I'm running the Steam version of DMoMM, and according to Steam, it's fully up-to-date (Current Release - 12/12/06).

Response (UK Technical Support) 01/17/2007 09:04 AM
Good day *****,

Close down the background applications, just to make sure that there is no conflict while playing the game.

·Close down background applications:
**Disconnect internet**, Click Start > Run > type msconfig > Click the Startup tab > Click Disable All button > Apply > OK, and restart your computer.

·Delete the temporary files from your computer:
Click Start > Run > type %temp% > OK > click Edit > Select All > Delete.

Also download the availible patches from patches.ubi.com.

Kind regards,

Customer (**********) 01/17/2007 08:42 AM
As described on your Tech Support forums here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3921096804/m/9601058425 , I'm getting really strange performance issues with DMoMM. Up a certain point in the Spider Temple, I've been getting between 40-60 FPS on the recommended settings for my system (1024x768, 2X AA and 2x AnIso, full HDR and everything except Texture Detail on the highest setting (Texture is on High)). Now, regardless of the graphics settings I use (even dropping to every possible detail on mimimum and forcing DX 8.0 or 7.0), my FPS according to DMoMM (using cl_showfps 2) does not go above 8, for which there is absolutely no logical reason on my system.

My hardware/software settings:
AMD s939 X2 @ 2.7 GHz
2GB DDR500 RAM
256 7800 GTX
Windows XP SP2
4Gb pagefile

Please, read my thread before replying, as it details what I've done to try and solve this.