PDA

View Full Version : Done buying games

l31ade
01-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Me and my brother have now decided to never buy another 360 game again.. only rent.. in 2003, after we got our 2ND xbox (we wnated sytem link, to prepare for halo 2) and we also got 30 NEW games, all 50 dollars, 30 x 50 = 1,500 dollars, plus tax, and controllers, etc. etc. and that was alot of wasted money.. i went to game stop to sell them all.. and i barely made over 10 dollars.. and i was mad.. so me and my brother made a deal saying we can only buy 1 of the following:
mulitplayer game (halo 3, cant count campaign, that sucked)

campaign game (AC)

all around game (orange box)

instrument game (rock band)

all other games that deserved to be played will be rented, to save money.. im 14 and i need to afford a car.. it will be hard to do! but i think i can do it.. does anyone else not buy anymore games?

l31ade
01-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Me and my brother have now decided to never buy another 360 game again.. only rent.. in 2003, after we got our 2ND xbox (we wnated sytem link, to prepare for halo 2) and we also got 30 NEW games, all 50 dollars, 30 x 50 = 1,500 dollars, plus tax, and controllers, etc. etc. and that was alot of wasted money.. i went to game stop to sell them all.. and i barely made over 10 dollars.. and i was mad.. so me and my brother made a deal saying we can only buy 1 of the following:
mulitplayer game (halo 3, cant count campaign, that sucked)

campaign game (AC)

all around game (orange box)

instrument game (rock band)

all other games that deserved to be played will be rented, to save money.. im 14 and i need to afford a car.. it will be hard to do! but i think i can do it.. does anyone else not buy anymore games?

CovertKi11
01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Did you seriously sell all those games after you learned you were only going to get $10? Should have held on to them if that's all you were going to get.

And how soon do you need a car? If you're 14 now it's still a couple years you have to save up for one, right?

And for the record, I still buy videogames, but I'm talking like a game every six months, and then only after I do my research online to find out if they're worth my money.

l31ade
01-06-2008, 01:37 PM
yeah, im almost 15.. and cars are expensive you know.. and dont forget gas included.. also i plan on having a future and going to college.. and about the selling the games.. i didnt really care.. holding on to them wasnt going to get me anywhere either.. and its just more clutter i dont need.. so yeah. i think this will help me in the long run, if i dont buy anything

halo_99
01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
You spent 1,500+ dollars on video games!?!

GrImReApEr192
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
To be completely honest l3lade i dont beleive you at all.

50 games for the xbox that you bought in 2003 would still give you way more then 10 dollars.If you got 25 cents for each game you would even then get 12 bucks and 50 cents.And im sure for each one you didnt get less then a dollar,thats 50 bucks right there.

And what did you expect too get,video games are like cars,the longer theyve been out,the demand and the value for them go down.

Im saving up for a car too,i suggest you get a job if you dont already have one,and save about 60% of every pay check you get,thats what ive been doing and when i get my liscense in april ill probly be able to afford a 2003 grand prix,and thats not bad at all.With the other 40% of your paycheck spend it on stuff you want(in this case videogames).

Just dont go crazy and buy tons at one time,buy a game,beat the game,get another.30 games at one time is just plain ridiculous.Renting can be good too,but in the end youll probably spend just as much money on renting them as you would if you bought one every once in a while,and with renting the game its never really "yours".

l31ade
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
ok one, ur wrong:
every game i got .10 cents for, call that a rip off at Gamestop, ill even show u receipt if i can find it.. and i never bought 30 games at ONCE, i bought them over the course of late 02, to end of 03.. and i do have a job, BUT, my parents make me pay for my:
cell phone bill (recently 70 dollars a month)
xbox live bill (50 a year)

PLUS! since my parents are divorced, they dont got alot.. therefore I MUST buy the food that i really want, but isnt neccesary (oreos, beef jerky, etc.) and i must by my own pop.. and if the clothes are expensive.. i must by them myself.. i also just recently bought a computer... do u understand now?

AND IM 14

P.S: i only got roudn 10 dollars for the games. THough, i did get 20 for one console, 10 for another, cause one of them didnt allow me to play halo anymore, cause i like wore the thing out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif andi got nothing for controllers because they were so worn out. i didnt want them laying around in my house, its a clutter as it is.. leaving them where they have been for a while will do nothing, so i sold them

Stealth_chill
01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by l31ade:
every game i got .10 cents for </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what games did you buy then! the ones in the bargain bin? seriously, you should have atleast gotten 2 bucks for some of the games.

GrImReApEr192
01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by l31ade:
ok one, ur wrong:
every game i got .10 cents for, call that a rip off at Gamestop, ill even show u receipt if i can find it.. and i never bought 30 games at ONCE, i bought them over the course of late 02, to end of 03.. and i do have a job, BUT, my parents make me pay for my:
xbox live bill (50 a year)

PLUS! since my parents are divorced, they dont got alot.. therefore I MUST buy the food that i really want, but isnt neccesary (oreos, beef jerky, etc.) and i must by my own pop.. and if the clothes are expensive.. i must by them myself.. i also just recently bought a computer... do u understand now?

AND IM 14

P.S: i only got roudn 10 dollars for the games. THough, i did get 20 for one console, 10 for another, cause one of them didnt allow me to play halo anymore, cause i like wore the thing out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif andi got nothing for controllers because they were so worn out. i didnt want them laying around in my house, its a clutter as it is.. leaving them where they have been for a while will do nothing, so i sold them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im 15.My parents are divorced.I know what it can be like.And my mom is disabled and cant work,think what thats like.

But when you saw you were getting 10 cents for mostly every game why didnt you just stop him,and then sell them on ebay?or too a friend,newspaper,etc.

l31ade
01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
all my friends have 360s and are stubborn as hell, tried newspaper for 2 monthes, and i dont want to sell on eBay, too much of a hassle for me..
WELL anyways the actualy point is that im done buying games.. done

WhiteKnight77
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This bill can be a lot less unless this is the cost of the plan you have. Stop going over your allotted time for free minutes or make most calls when they are free. Better still, go buy a pay as you go phone. Use up all your minutes in one week, you are out of service for the rest of the month.

Though I don't really like cell phones, I have one and my bill is never that big, I have never used up my minutes though I came close once. If it weren't for work, I wouldn't have it.

C.Moss
01-06-2008, 07:28 PM
You should have sold them all on E-bay

l31ade
01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This bill can be a lot less unless this is the cost of the plan you have. Stop going over your allotted time for free minutes or make most calls when they are free. Better still, go buy a pay as you go phone. Use up all your minutes in one week, you are out of service for the rest of the month.

Though I don't really like cell phones, I have one and my bill is never that big, I have never used up my minutes though I came close once. If it weren't for work, I wouldn't have it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good idea.. but its the texting that im over lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ive been texting alot, but i guess i should stop, so i dont complain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CovertKi11
01-06-2008, 11:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though I don't really like cell phones, I have one and my bill is never that big, I have never used up my minutes though I came close once. If it weren't for work, I wouldn't have it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Personally, I find plans much cheaper than minutes. I bought a $60 phone card when I moved onto campus this year, and I used it up in 3 weeks. Compare that to now I'm on a plan that I end up with ~$40/month. Although I'm probably getting some kind of edge as I'm on a student plan.

It would probably be lower still but as I live on campus I don't have a land line. The cell is the only phone I have and therefore a borderline necessity.

Boobisphere
01-07-2008, 01:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Halo_99:
You spent 1,500+ dollars on video games!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably spent about 400 bucks on games this fall. That is not common of course, just there were so many great games released this season.

Crysis,
Gears or War
FEAR Percius Mandate
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Call of Duty 4
Unreal Tournament
Timeshift

Now i just have to find the time to play them all. I did however unlock Luigi last night.

WhiteKnight77
01-07-2008, 07:34 AM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though I don't really like cell phones, I have one and my bill is never that big, I have never used up my minutes though I came close once. If it weren't for work, I wouldn't have it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good idea.. but its the texting that im over lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ive been texting alot, but i guess i should stop, so i dont complain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quit texting and just call instead if it is really that important.

I still have yet to see what is so important that people have become so disfigured to have a permanently bent arm with a piece of plastic and electronics sprouting from their hand. I don't see how this is attractive to any member of the opposite sex. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

insanity76
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
got 30 NEW games .. i went to game stop to sell them all.. and i barely made over 10 dollars.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you go? N/M I see where you said you went to Gamestop. That's freakin' insane. About a month ago or so I sold 4 games to Gamestop (MLB2k7, NBA Live '06, PDZero, and Double Agent) and got $10 and some change for them. I guarantee you would've gotten more for all those games from a Pawn Shop.

RoaringMad Mac
01-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Even if you feel you got ripped Renting is the best way to go with the option to buy.

http://www.gamefly.com/member/

Gamefly has been a life saver for me. It does take some time to get the newest games in but it will definately keep you from buying a game that is all hyped and then realizing you wasted your money.

You can also buy from their site as well.
It is also not expensive at all each month.

Warrior0fLight
01-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow, that's cheap. I've learned to NOT trade with gamestop, sometimes I can find a good deal on a game there.

I found out that if I take games/videos to BlockBuster they almost always give me at least $3 per game, and if you're trading them you get a bonus for every 6th one (video, I think).

l31ade
01-07-2008, 03:34 PM
damn, i wish i sold them somewhere else now lol i looked at the receipt after i sold and was like WTF!! i seriusly got like 10 cents for every game.. there were good games like XIII and red faction 2 in there ( i regret selling them) but tehre were alot of ****ty ones too, alot of outdated sports games, which not alot of people buy these days, cause.. well htere outdated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Boobisphere
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
you definitely got hosed.

just out of curiosity, did you pay for all the games yourself? my guess is that if you actually put the $1500 down for all those games you would no way in hell sold them all for $10.

If that was the price they offered me i would have been more inclined to light up a bar-b-q pit infront of their store and burn them all.

Angel Fire
01-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Gamestop is notorious for not paying best dollar for games you want to sell them.

CriminalOrigins
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Never trade at Gamestop. Ebay is your best bet.

I've found the Gamestop people to be unfriendly, in addition to ripping you off. I don't shop there at all anymore.

l31ade
01-07-2008, 04:49 PM
lol i did pay for them all.. everyone, i was really young at the time, so i was always doing little chores here and there for a little dough, then i would go and spend it right away.. have my month of fun with it, then never play it again.. the ONLY original xbox games i ever got my moneys worth were XIII, Red Faction 2, and Halo 1 and 2.. And just to make a correction, i just realized that Red Faction and XIII were not 50 when i bought them, every other game was, but not those two, sorry.. but yeah, i paid for them all.. through gift cards, or work.

GrImReApEr192
01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Angel Fire:
Gamestop is notorious for not paying best dollar for games you want to sell them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I myself havent really had a problem with them,when i went to get my 360 about a year after they came out,i traded in my xbox and gamecube and about 26 something games between the two,with controllers and all that stuff.And at the end i got a whopping 575 dollars.

But one time i went to trade in a couple of movies and only got about a buck or two for each one,but i kinda expected it.After all its "Gamestop" not moviestop.

@ Criminal,i think it just happens to be the store that you go too.The guys the work up at my local gamestop are awesome,ive been going in there on a regular basis so ive developed a friendship with each one of them,sometimes go in just too talk,good place to find some xbox live friends too.Sometimes they even give me there little employee discount http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif and im almost assured a job there when i turn 16.

l31ade
01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
haha same here, i go in like once a month, but they know exactly who i am.. i used to sit in there for hours when i was bored, talking bout wii (when i had one) and games coming out.. but i would never work there, a little bit far from my home

Gyver2007
01-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey guys out there or a Fan i really don't care
uh i want to ask you a question's about buying a games.
Do you really think that Splinter Cell could have a better graphics than Halo 3 or so damn stupid games really

yes or no

Please rate it if it's yes or no

It will end this graph by the end of 2008 so get it move on

GrImReApEr192
01-21-2008, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gyver2007:
Hey guys out there or a Fan i really don't care
uh i want to ask you a question's about buying a games.
Do you really think that Splinter Cell could have a better graphics than Halo 3 or so damn stupid games really

yes or no

Please rate it if it's yes or no

It will end this graph by the end of 2008 so get it move on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhmmmm http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

What?

VTAssault
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Grim you should know better. Here read this.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/Ant1s0c1al/trollsignaw4.jpg

GrImReApEr192
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Silly me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

halo_99
01-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Mountain Dew? Gross.

Angel Fire
01-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Back on topic.
I go to my regular gamestop all the time, close to where I work. I have been offered a part time job there by the manager as I am leaving my full time job soon. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
I do know they have more than a discount, there are other benefits.
But I still intend to rent most of the not so big name games.

Talking of games who here is going to invest time and $$$$ in the new LEGO GAMES coming out?

GrImReApEr192
01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Angel Fire:

Talking of games who here is going to invest time and $$$$ in the new LEGO GAMES coming out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not I said the goose.

I bought lego star wars TCS awhile back and thought it was just terrible.Although Batman looks kinda ok,im still gonna pass.