PDA

View Full Version : Read the real PC game developer answer to console port!

T2RVS
03-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Interestingly however, Blizzard's COO Paul Sams said in an interview that Blizzard does not have plans to release WoW for the Xbox 360 platform. Despite enormous revenue being generated by subscriptions to WoW, Blizzard believes that because of the inherent differences in play architecture, porting WoW over to the Xbox 360 console would severely compromise the play experience of the game. WoW itself is heavily dependent on the use of a mouse and keyboard.

It is not about the money bu the game that eventually will get people's attention!!

Omg Ubi please reeducate your DEvs! Obviously if you hire monkeys you get peanuts!

T2RVS
03-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Interestingly however, Blizzard's COO Paul Sams said in an interview that Blizzard does not have plans to release WoW for the Xbox 360 platform. Despite enormous revenue being generated by subscriptions to WoW, Blizzard believes that because of the inherent differences in play architecture, porting WoW over to the Xbox 360 console would severely compromise the play experience of the game. WoW itself is heavily dependent on the use of a mouse and keyboard.

It is not about the money bu the game that eventually will get people's attention!!

Omg Ubi please reeducate your DEvs! Obviously if you hire monkeys you get peanuts!

SODsniper
03-05-2006, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T2RVS:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Darn!!

This sounds like something I would say!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Wait a tic!!

I DID say this!!

&lt;SODsniper searches around for a happy happy joy joy emoticon&gt;

MikeJW
03-05-2006, 11:05 AM
WoW makes how much money per month? When people start losing interest and Blizzard starts to lose more and more money I can quarentee you they'll change their tune. Its easy to act righteous for PCers when your still making money hand over fist on monthly fees.

PFM_VAPOR
03-05-2006, 12:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T2RVS:
Obviously if you hire monkeys you get peanuts! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't you get banana's? peanuts would be elephants right? but then again, I've been training my monkeys to karate chop ubi devs so their peanuts would drop. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TedSmith
03-05-2006, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeJW:
WoW makes how much money per month? When people start losing interest and Blizzard starts to lose more and more money I can quarentee you they'll change their tune. Its easy to act righteous for PCers when your still making money hand over fist on monthly fees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When they stop making money at the pace they are, they'll have developed another expansion or another game that they think will take over the spotlight. That's how Blizzard has ALWAYS worked.

They didn't change their tune with Diablo 2 and release that on console, even though it was such a simplistic game that it COULD be ported without any real loss in functionality. Why would they do so for a game like WoW when you would have to lose a mass amount of functionality to shift the design for controllers?

If someone puts out a keyboard/mouse combo on the x360 that becomes popular, they might reconsider, but until then I highly doubt it. WoW, as with any other MMO is as much about social interaction with other players as it is about running around killing things.

With Blizzard, all signs right now point to Diablo III as the next step to take over the spotlight after WoW and it's expansion dies down. Also note if you pay attention to what Blizzard is up to, they have their own seperate development team put together to design for nex-gen consoles. Granted, they have the money to do so, but considering the push made with GRAW with 4 or 5 completely different development teams, one for each platform (and two for x360) then we have to consider that UBI has the money to do it too.

On a side note:

I wonder if any game company is ever going to attempt a subscription based Tac-Shooter (a good AAA title, mind you, none of this WWII online, B-title ****). I know many people would whine and cry over the idea, but frankly, I have no problem paying $10-15/month if it means new professionally made maps added on a regular basis and a full development team consistantly working on patching bugs, tweaking existing features and adding new ones.

I wouldn't want it as an MMO or anything like that as the style generally doesn't fit with the tac shooter genre. I'd keep it with the same client/server model it has now, have a dedicated server package available to anyone who wants to run one free of charge, and then simply charge the clients a monthly fee to pay for continued updates.

SODsniper
03-05-2006, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TedSmith:

I wonder if any game company is ever going to attempt a subscription based Tac-Shooter (a good AAA title, mind you, none of this WWII online, B-title ****). I know many people would whine and cry over the idea, but frankly, I have no problem paying $10-15/month if it means new professionally made maps added on a regular basis and a full development team consistantly working on patching bugs, tweaking existing features and adding new ones.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a service like that called ***A-WAR. It's claim to fame was real world situations played out online in a Multi Player environment.

Not sure if it is still around (a google could determine this) but it was a subscription based service/game.

DayGlow
03-05-2006, 12:49 PM
there maybe also large technical limitations of attempting a MMO on a console. I know part of the problem with LD Xbox was the PEC mode, which was the first time persistant data was to be used and stored across the Live service and it was a major headache for Ubi to create and troubleshoot. Live may not be the best evironment to build a MMO game, which Blizzard would have to use to make a 360 game.

TedSmith
03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DayGlow:
the PEC mode, which was the first time persistant data was to be used and stored across the Live service </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? Phantasy Star Online predates Lockdown xbox, and it was done on the PS2 in Final Fantasy XI. I find it hard to believe it was -that- difficult for them to do with Lockdown.

DayGlow
03-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I have no idea, just going by what was said on the forum by the devs.

TedSmith
03-05-2006, 02:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SODsniper:
There was a service like that called ***A-WAR. It's claim to fame was real world situations played out online in a Multi Player environment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TedSmith:
(a good AAA title, mind you, none of this WWII online, B-title ****). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

***a was universally panned as a terrible game. It got lower scores than lockdown on average. Games like that and WWII Online were why I added the stipulation that it had to be a AAA title.

SODsniper
03-05-2006, 02:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SODsniper:
There was a service like that called ***A-WAR. It's claim to fame was real world situations played out online in a Multi Player environment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(a good AAA title, mind you, none of this WWII online, B-title ****). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

***a was universally panned as a terrible game. It got lower scores than lockdown on average. Games like that and WWII Online were why I added the stipulation that it had to be a AAA title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh My bust.. I didna even know there was a rating system..

Yer right about ***a though. It was atroscious.

BOB.Troll
03-06-2006, 09:24 AM
WoW is such a horrible game. It's the simplest MMORPG EVER! Zero substance... Grind, loot, (bland) PvP, grind, grind repeat. The only reason why it's so popular is because it's so easy. It shows via the 'community'... It's like being left back in the third grade, permanantly.

You probably do need a mouse to play an MMORPG. You'd take tons of **** for not getting your heals off in time, fiddling with the buttons. Then again, I can't understand how people play something like Quake 4 online, when they have to shuffle through guns instead of having a hot key and I could never aim with a joystick in a game like that.

The only reason I don't think they've made PC MMO ports like WoW to console is because of server maintenances, 'live' updates and the obvious differences between an actual "PC" and console. While WoW itself has little substance, games like that require A LOT of technical (hardware and software) support. That's always been IMO.

BabyShambles01
03-06-2006, 09:33 AM

Omg Ubi please reeducate your DEvs! Obviously if you hire monkeys you get peanuts! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...can you get any more gullible? It's called PR (Public Relations).

Blizzard are making more than they thought they would out of WoW, so everything they say will be pro PC. PR people aim for people like you who believe they speak the truth. The fact is their making so much money already they have no reason to port the game. Why risk angering such a big fan-base by consolising it?

They see how PC gamers are angry about all the ports and stuff, so, they want all PC gamers to think Blizzard are on their side, get PC gamers thinking their real PC developers so you buy more of their stuff.

They understand some games are meant for the PC...YEAH RIGHT! They understand money.

Crushda
03-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I think you can not compare a game genre such as WoW at all with any shoter game.
Same counts for strategy sims, those game do not attrack Concole gamers at all, to complex, to much of thinking needed.

big_perm
03-06-2006, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeJW:
WoW makes how much money per month? When people start losing interest and Blizzard starts to lose more and more money I can quarentee you they'll change their tune. Its easy to act righteous for PCers when your still making money hand over fist on monthly fees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some companies *actually* do care about thier customers. I know, I KNOW *shock*. Blizzard is one of these companies. Teddy said it best. There are actually companies out there who arent out there just for a buck.(UBI is not one of these) The original Blizzard is the best game developer there has ever been IMO and the current Blizzard still upholds many of thier standards and ethics.

TedSmith
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BabyShambles01:
They understand some games are meant for the PC...YEAH RIGHT! They understand money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe... maybe, they understand that every single game they've ever made for PC has sold like mad because they know what they're doing. Maybe you missed the fact that Blizzard has ALWAYS been pro-PC. This isn't a new development because of WoW.

Have you EVER seen a blizzard game consolized? Oh wait, they haven't MADE any console games... ever. If you're going to pick a company to babble nonsense about, Blizzard should not even be on your radar, they're one of the few PC centric development houses that actually knows how to make a game properly.

Your argument might have had some credence if they had ever made a console game, or ported one, or attempted to design for a multi-platform release. They haven't though and you're partially right that money is the reason. They KNOW that the money is there in the PC market if they make a good game and they've proven it time and again. That's why not ONE game they've ever released has failed to be a top seller.

Blizzard Entertainment is proof beyond all reasonable doubt that if you make a GOOD PC game and take the time to make sure it's the game you wanted it to be without rushing it out the door to time it for a financial quarter, then it WILL sell.

KungFu_CIA
03-06-2006, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crushda:
I think you can not compare a game genre such as WoW at all with any shoter game.
Same counts for strategy sims, those game do not attrack Concole gamers at all, to complex, to much of thinking needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This must be why games like Full Spectrum Warrior, Mercenaries, the original Ghost Recon, KUF (Kingdom Under Fire) series and other complex games did so *poorly* on consoles, correct? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

This is typical anti-console rhetoric from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, no offense.

Crushda
03-06-2006, 10:40 AM
none of the games you listed refers in any way to my posting.
please reread

TedSmith
03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crushda:
Same counts for strategy sims, those game do not attrack Concole gamers at all, to complex, to much of thinking needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Battle for Middle Earth II is going to be out for the 360. People said RTS games are too complicated to sell on consoles, we'll see if they're right or wrong soon enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by big_perm:
The original Blizzard is the best game developer there has ever been IMO and the current Blizzard still upholds many of thier standards and ethics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. My wet dream would be Blizzard deciding to make a modern day, non-vehicular tac shooter. They've always done fantasy, save for that one notable foray into sci-fi but I would love to see a tac shooter that had as much effort put into it as any of their games.

I'm still holding out hope that GRAW will be stellar on PC, but after Lockdown I think it's been sufficiently proven that RSE just doesn't have what it takes anymore. Maybe they'll prove me wrong in the future and I hope they do, but right now I have zero faith. I think it's time for someone else to pick up the torch.