PDA

View Full Version : Alexander the game, and working

highnoon_
12-22-2004, 12:33 AM
After all the threads with malcontent here's one which adds to the support of the developers.
Alexander got installed properly and after some searchwork, latest driver for my videocard (nvidia Geforce) and a lil bit of tuning all worked well.
Alexander appears to be a good multiplayer game which is becomming slightly addictive, it has many options in using strategy and overcomming your opponent. However, ofcourse, some extra keywork and debugging could make the game more breathless.

Keep ur spirits up,

highnoon_
12-22-2004, 12:33 AM
After all the threads with malcontent here's one which adds to the support of the developers.
Alexander got installed properly and after some searchwork, latest driver for my videocard (nvidia Geforce) and a lil bit of tuning all worked well.
Alexander appears to be a good multiplayer game which is becomming slightly addictive, it has many options in using strategy and overcomming your opponent. However, ofcourse, some extra keywork and debugging could make the game more breathless.

Keep ur spirits up,

xnox_manpower
12-22-2004, 09:09 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

alexander is a real good MP-game Imho
Can´t say words like ubisoft and great in the same sentence though

kikka-01
12-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Every time I play the demo, I can't stop! Sure it's a little buggy (disappearing horsemen and what-not), but it's also got some really nice touches... like how the troops cheer when Alexander first comes near.

The actual game is a Christmas present, so I'll be able to comment on that after the 25th.

Where do you guys play MP?

GNRanger
12-22-2004, 11:55 AM
I think it is unfair that so much criticism is being directed at the game itself. Yeah, it's a little buggy, but that is normal. I playtested Children of the Nile back in September and even after it was released, it was much buggier than Alexander. I think that GSC is doing all that it can to remedy the situation. On the other hand it seems that Ubisoft is not being very responsive to comments posted on this site; which strikes me as odd since this is a forum which they provide. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Alexander has some wonderful gameplay features and the best graphics and animation I have seen in an isometric setting. I think most of the criticism being leveled at the game would be better directed as requests for support for the game such as information from Ubisoft and GSC on patches and driver issues.

Actually, game play issues like the unruly catapults, weak walls, suicidal heros, etc. should be addressed as suggestions for improvements, not as bugs.

Does anyone know what we need to do to get Ubisoft to provide a sticky header; one for bugs and another for requests. This would be useful in organizing this forum.

xnox_manpower
12-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Every time I play the demo, I can't stop! Sure it's a little buggy (disappearing horsemen and what-not), but it's also got some really nice touches... like how the troops cheer when Alexander first comes near.

In the fullversion horsemen/mercs doesn´t dissapear. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

leloup1925
12-25-2004, 01:24 PM
"After all the threads with malcontent here's one which adds to the support of the developers."

Just because you are lucky to get it work doesn't bring any reason why those developpers should be cheered.
A good game is a game where problems to simply run it or install it are minimum, and that's often the case but not for this one. Also a game where devoppers bring a minimum of tech support which iosn't the case at all here.

But may be you are smart enough to give us some clue for those experienced gamers who haven't problems in general BUT with this game?

And please refrain from the usual B.S.: update your drivers, defrag and so on.

Nectanebo_II
12-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Errors like not being able to continue with the pre-placed bridge in the Tyre scenario from the Alexander campaign if the game is reloaded has nothing to do with drivers. Nor have the mispellings and other glitches. There are a lot of problems that need a patch. The people with problems with this game, do not deserve to be called malcontents.

highnoon_
12-26-2004, 04:10 AM
Alexander is overall a good game despite the needed patch and the incompatibility.
Malcontents, is the right pitch to start. People start too soon a lamentation, they immediately feel betrayed, angry and want justice. They forget some things need time and not always the expected results will be fulfilled. In stead of being indignated they should go on, in search of what they really want or help to improve something, which is called constructive criticism. In stead aimless insults are uttered only to feed the selfindignation and the urge to find 'justice'.

Personally, the malcontents is not that inappropriate chosen.

Keep ur spirits up,

cadopa
12-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Alexander could have been a great game. I can play the game BUT when I have more than a certain amount of units, it becomes a slideshow The units sometimes do not take my commands and just sit there. You also can't make a bridge but the AI can. The catapults and/or vehicles like it sometimes after a fire command still fire even thought you click on them and order them to stop. This is a very buggy game and when a person spends 50 dollars on it, I think it is their right to complain about it. It is NO different than going to a restaurant and getting crappy service and a crappy meal. What do you do? I complain to the manager about it. I do it in a nice way but I still make a complaint. I can deal with the units and other small problems BUT my biggest complaint out of the ones I mentioned is the slideshow problem. I have 2 gigs of Dual channel ddr ram pc3200. I have an ATI Radeon x800pro with 256 ram and a P4 3.0 and ALL my drivers are updated. That does not matter when I get over 200 units or so, it slows to a crawl. This game HAD so much potential and it is sad that they put it out prematurly because they wanted ito have it out the same time as the movie........what a waste http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

cadopa
12-31-2004, 11:20 AM
g

cadopa
12-31-2004, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by highnoon_:
Alexander is overall a good game despite the needed patch and the incompatibility.
Malcontents, is the right pitch to start. People start too soon a lamentation, they immediately feel betrayed, angry and want justice. They forget some things need time and not always the expected results will be fulfilled. In stead of being indignated they should go on, in search of what they really want or help to improve something, which is called constructive criticism. In stead aimless insults are uttered only to feed the selfindignation and the urge to find 'justice'.

Personally, the malcontents is not that inappropriate chosen.

Keep ur spirits up, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't see anyone on here acting like you are describing. I see a buch of gamers who know what a good game is and they are dissapointed like me because this game had potention. UBI soft should be ashamed because they sold us the unfinished product with no patch in site!! They deserve the verbal beatdown! Highnoon, show me on here where there is someone cursing or being a REAL jerk. I think you are either too sensative or you work for UBI-soft. I see no malcontents on here, just passionate gamers!!