PDA

View Full Version : Dam **Spoilers**

ellie1970
01-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Hello,its me again looking for some expert advice.I am on what I think is the penultimate level(Dam)(correct me if I am wrong!) and am having a bit of trouble.Since my encounter with Crow back on the boat level,which you helped me with(fabulouscoops),I have had little trouble getting to this point,HOWEVER(!!!),I am at the saved checkpoint when I am in the jeep and about to go across the broken bridge.I have tried various methods(going across in the vehicle and up the hillside on the left,shooting at all the nasties,but I only manage to take out about 5 or 6 of them,before I run out of ammo on the jeep...I then use my own ammo,and have had varying degrees of success,but there is a nasty up on the other hilltop opposite me who can get me but no matter what weapon I use he is out of my range) I have also tried luring the nasties nearer to me in the jeep on the bridge but as you can imagine this is long and tedious and I inevitably fail anyway!! I appear to be waffling now,but it seems that FC now dominates all aspects of my life!!! Please help me finish before I drive my husband and kids to leave home in search of a better life!!! Thanx in anticipation!

ellie1970
01-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Hello,its me again looking for some expert advice.I am on what I think is the penultimate level(Dam)(correct me if I am wrong!) and am having a bit of trouble.Since my encounter with Crow back on the boat level,which you helped me with(fabulouscoops),I have had little trouble getting to this point,HOWEVER(!!!),I am at the saved checkpoint when I am in the jeep and about to go across the broken bridge.I have tried various methods(going across in the vehicle and up the hillside on the left,shooting at all the nasties,but I only manage to take out about 5 or 6 of them,before I run out of ammo on the jeep...I then use my own ammo,and have had varying degrees of success,but there is a nasty up on the other hilltop opposite me who can get me but no matter what weapon I use he is out of my range) I have also tried luring the nasties nearer to me in the jeep on the bridge but as you can imagine this is long and tedious and I inevitably fail anyway!! I appear to be waffling now,but it seems that FC now dominates all aspects of my life!!! Please help me finish before I drive my husband and kids to leave home in search of a better life!!! Thanx in anticipation!

fabulouscoops
01-16-2006, 08:11 AM
I think I cleared this area of bad guys only once. It is not required to kill any of them. In fact, I just did Dam with out any weapon all the way from the waterfall.

The key is to know the path to take with the jeep. Cross the bridge and head up the hill. On the way down the other side there is a fat boy near a rock. Go around the left side of the rock and pass the fat boy (even hit him if you want) make a hard right and there is a spot to jump over the lava. Don't slow down but make another hard right and go down to where the other side of the broken bridge is. Gather your wits and jump the lava again over on the road that is the continuation of the bridge road.
Here is where it can get interesting. There are several ways to go from here but I like to head left up along the lava flow to where two mercs are fighting a fat boy. Kill them and get out of the jeep and head right up the hill to the radar dish. savepoint, health and sniper rifle await.
Good Luck and I have a feeling you may be back one more time.

ellie1970
01-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Once again,thanx for your help!!It really is appreciated as I am sure you have better things to do!! Anyway,I have now got a bit stuck on the last level but I have posted separate message about that!! I must tell you that it took me several attempts to drive that jeep across both bits of lava!Women drivers,eh?!!

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
At least you didnt have to parallell park it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

CuZ

ellie1970
01-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Oi,you cheeky sod!! By the way,is there an unofficial record time for completing FC?I wpuld be interested to know how long it took and who holds the record?

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
01-16-2006, 01:18 PM
That would be Cpt Long and Jimbocry in a collaberative effort:
supersonic thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=870005607)

They also had fun mountain climbing:
mountain climbing thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=511108565)

Sorry about the parking, but it was too good an opportunity to let go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CuZ

fabulouscoops
01-16-2006, 02:48 PM
The record is just under two hours but that is not in one sitting but rather fastest times through each checkpoint added together.

johns1234
01-20-2006, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ellie1970:
Oi,you cheeky sod!! By the way,is there an unofficial record time for completing FC?I wpuld be interested to know how long it took and who holds the record? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I hold that record. I finished Far Cry at the hard level in just
under 10 hours. And I actually did it. I don't believe for one second
that JimboCry did it in 2 hours, actually playing the game. He disabled
everything and simply did a walkthrough. That is possible, but not very
macho. However, I found by trial and error, that if you do certain things
out of order in a level, the Mercs and Trigens at some points are never
spawned, and that saves a world of time. For example, in the Boat level,
if you go back to tower #3 and do it first, all the patrol boats in
the game are never spawned, and you can just cruise from island to island
in your rubber dinghy, and sneak in for a quick go at each tower. And in
the Rebellion level, you really can climb past the fight at the bridge.
Lots of neat tricks like that in this game.

bjanga
01-20-2006, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johns1234:
He disabled everything and simply did a walkthrough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mmm, so he disables things, you used neat tricks?

In my opinion, you either do it JimboCry's way and exploit everything possible, or you kill everything in the level. Anything in between is too much of a grey area.

CptLong
01-20-2006, 07:59 PM
To defend my comrad Jumbocry, and myself, nothing was turned off. As we made clear, we found the shortest way through a level by using whatever it gave us, no cheats, no God mode, no extra ammo, no disabled kill zones. The time also doesn't include time consumed by cut scenes. It is only pure play. Jimbocry was a master at the running head shot.

ellie1970
01-21-2006, 08:07 AM
OK boys,lets all calm down!! Dont take yourselves so seriously! Would it make you all feel better about yourselves if you had a little s****** at my "record"?!!As I said in another thread,I eventually finished having avoided using cheats BUT it took me about 3 WEEKS and I played the campaign on EASY!!(And I am still quite pleased with myself!) I am now trying on the more difficult settings,and am now enjoying the game more cos I'm more relaxed about dying!!! Congrats to whoever believes they hold the record,but dont stress yourselves out about it!!

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
01-21-2006, 09:16 AM
LOL... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Nice take on things Ellie...

I am tempted to start a poll on the topic, but I am pretty sure that there would only be one vote against the Cpt and Jimbo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I think its fair to say most of us took days to weeks the first time through, if you do go back at higher levels you will probably be surprised how much easier most of it seems

CuZ

ellie1970
01-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi ther cuZ! Just wanted to add that in my personal opinion,Jimbocry and the Cpt have no reason to be telling porkies cos they would really only be lying to themselves(I mean lets face it..this aint the Olympics or the bloomin Grammies is it?!!!) and anyone could log on and say they completed it a minute quicker than the dynamic duo,but like I say,whats the point of tellin porkies?! Anyway,relax and enjoy...thats my little philosophy,for what it is worth!!

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
01-21-2006, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I mean lets face it..this aint the Olympics or the bloomin Grammies is it?!!!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heh hee...
No, and it isnt a matter of life or death, its far more important than that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

We had someone come on a few months back who claimed it was a hoax and had to be impossible, a week later I think he had actually shaved some time off the quickest on one of the levels and was contrite regarding his earlier views...

Still if it makes others happy to think they are the best, then good luck to them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CuZ

fabulouscoops
01-21-2006, 11:30 AM
I can vouch for Jimbocry and Cpt Long that everything they report on is possible since I have done nearly all of it myself as well. Johns has been a naysayer from the getgo with accusations that are unfounded and later proven to be false.
The question here is a matter of semantics.

One group timed each checkpoint in realistic mode and added the quickest times together. The process took weeks and no one has actually run through the game in two hours in a single sitting to my knowledge.

Johns claims to have completed the game in 10 hours which I also believe. But 10 hours seems long to me. It should be doable in much shorter time.

There is also a fellow who completed the entire game and was only killed one time. That takes concentration and patience.

ellie1970
01-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Oh my Goodness..its all kicking off now....testosterone bouncing off all the walls!!Interesting info on how the times were accumulated...thanx for that,Mr. Coops! When I am a grandmother and sitting at my pc with my tartan blanket over my arthritis-ridden legs,and I have cut the finishing time down to 34mins and 4secs............I'll let u know(!!!!!)

ellie1970
01-21-2006, 11:40 AM
By the way,cuZ...couldnt agree more...it IS more important than life or death!!!

fabulouscoops
01-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Ok, I had to back up my claim that the game can be beaten in less than 10 hours. So I ran through it last night and today on easy difficulty in three sessions.
levels 1-7 Start 7:08PM end 8:05PM 57 min
levels 8-12 Start 9:08PM end 9:50PM 42 min
levels 13-20 Start 9:49AM end 11:40AM 115 min

for a total of 3 hours 34 min.
Average time per level 11 min
Shortest level 4 min (research)
longest level 31 min (Boat) I was careless and died three times right before the third tower checkpoint or that would have been maybe 20 min at most.
Loading time between levels was counted in the total

While I skipped through cutscenes, I took no shortcuts to end levels quickly (like Factory climb) and did not run through at a breakneck pace without killing anything. I used a rush headlong into danger approach a lot and so was killed more than I usually am. Normal gameplay using any and all weapons available, where I died maybe 12-15 times killing maybe 75% of the bad guys. So I know it can be done faster than this. Granted, its easy and the poor dumb mercs had a hard time killing me, but I can't see realistic being much, if any, longer and I certainly can see 2 hours being reasonable for simply adding together best times between checkpoints.
I hope this was helpful in answering the questions about time to finish.

ellie1970
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Nice work fabulouscoops!Thanx for taking the time to do that.By the way,I noted that in a previous reply to my initial Dam query,that u finished this level wothout using weapons.Can I just ask u to run through how?Not the whole way,but after u cross both bits of lava in the jeep,u have to make your way up to the building and I encountered several mercs here..one who got to a machine gun(the git),and one with a rocket launcher.How did you avoid those guys?

fabulouscoops
01-25-2006, 12:52 PM
In the Dam with no weapons run, I jumped the falls, made my way to the helo and tried to sneak across the river and up to the fort. I was spotted, but having no weapons allows you to run faster. Got the keycard and health/armor but no weapons and dodged fat boys to the jeep. Now, jump the two lava flows and follow the road until a hummer turns the corner, Avoid a fight and keep driving down the hill. Make a right before you get to the truck and head towards Doyle's boat. Before you get there, hang a left and follow a small valley right up to the right side of the final door. Jump out and touch for the fade to black. I actually died simultaneously but respawed on the other side of the door with full health to start Volcano level. BUT with no weapons! There are no new weapons at the start of this level so there is no way to make it to Kreiger. Dead End.

CptLong
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Ellie
Just for the record, the first FEW times I played, it took weeks. I was really cautious and died often. Heck, I may have taken 6 or 7 hours just getting through Rebellion! I won't EVEN talk about Dam or Volcano! The first time I played Research as the Demo, I thought that the game was impossible. I almost didn't buy it, because there was no fun in dying every 10 seconds!
Glad I bought it.
As we say across the pond
You done good!

ellie1970
01-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanx Cpt! I have to say I've had a brilliant time playing it and of course,playing it the 2nd time around I am far less cautious and take a lot more risks!! I like to read about all you veterans methods of playing(hence my interest in getting through Dam with no weapons)I think this game has so much scope other than a straightforward shooter! And thanx for the run through fabulouscoops...I'm gonna have a go at that tomorrow(I know..I've got no chance!!)