PDA

View Full Version : Development Time line..

R1ZN0
08-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Just wondering, when Ubi purchased the FC ip from Crytek it was sometime in 2006. So if this game was being developed prior on a brand new engine why purchase the ip at all? Why build a new engine then purchase an old one? And what would have happened if Crytek hadn't sold the ip would this game just be named something else? Confused a bit on this subject.

R1ZN0
08-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Just wondering, when Ubi purchased the FC ip from Crytek it was sometime in 2006. So if this game was being developed prior on a brand new engine why purchase the ip at all? Why build a new engine then purchase an old one? And what would have happened if Crytek hadn't sold the ip would this game just be named something else? Confused a bit on this subject.

adarwinter
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM
rizno, i think u know that licensing the FC1 engine is not the same as licensing the FC IP. engine is that techincal code that runs the graphics and AI and what not while the IP is the name and concept of the game.

they just purchased the right to use FC1 name and concept as a reference to FC2.
they are making very very little use with that reference and i also wonder why call it FC2 at all.
yes, FC1 was was very successful and they want to ride on it's success but i think that since there is nothing in common between the games than a completely new IP would have given UBI bigger rep. the title is more misleading than helping this game, IMO.

R1ZN0
08-29-2008, 07:20 PM
They licensed both!!

Want2Snipe
08-29-2008, 08:08 PM
"Misleading"... Hmmm, there is a word for you.!

nick123...
08-30-2008, 11:36 AM
maybe thy called it far cry 2 just so thy would get people who play the other far cry's interested and excited.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
09-02-2008, 05:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rizno:
They licensed both!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely, One hundred percent correct.

Ubi Press statement on purchase of FC IPR (http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.php?p=59&art_id=60&vars=c2VuZGVyPUFMTCZzZW5kZXJfdXJsPWluZGV4LnBocCUzR nAlM0Q1OSZjb21faWQ9MTczJmZpbHRlcl90eXBlPS0xJmZpbHR lcl9tb250aD0zJmZpbHRlcl95ZWFyPTIwMDY%3D)

Remember the history though Riz.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Mar 2004 FC released -
FC takes the world by storm, huge hit selling 750K+ over the quiet 6 'summer' months
(Remember that these are big numbers for a PC only title)

<LI>July 2004 "Crytek Stuns Ubisoft" -
Just when Ubi think they have a potentially huge franchise in the offing, Crytek changes publisher and moves to EA.

<LI>Sept 2005 Far Cry Instincts (FCI) released on Xbox, a planned PS2 version having been shelved.

<LI>March 2006 Ubi purchase all remaining FC IPR and right to use FC edition of CryEngine1

<LI>March 2006 Far Cry Instincts Predator and Evolution (FCIP and FCIE) release for X360 and Xbox respectively. [/list]

Then factor in what has been claimed about FC2 and Dunia.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Pre Sept 2005 - Top level design work starts on FC2 "at a time before the console games were released"

<LI>Aug 2007 Dunia Engine introduced as a 90% new engine.[/list]

So my own spin on this now -

In July of 2004 would you have envisaged making a Far Cry game without the CryEngine?
So it would be a fair assumption that initial planing for FC2 had that as a base?
Then you see that key descriminators for FC2; open streaming world, fire propagation etc are not supported by CE1.
Dunia sure as hell looks like a derivative of the CryEngine.
If CE1 was used as the "10%" base for Dunia, then UBI would have had to acquire the right to use and modify the FC edition of CE1.

With all of that in context it kind of makes sense chronologically. As I say though, this is just my best guess based on what has been said...

Maybe Kimi can provide a more definative response either here or in a future Dev Blog?