PDA

View Full Version : Game locking up in Fort mission

werelds
03-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, first off:

Yes, I've searched the Forums, but couldn't find a conclusive answer or 'fix' (or I might be blind)

Now, I've recently reinstalled Far Cry, and at first it seemed to be fine. I played through the training and Carrier missions without a single problem, no stutters, crashes, nothing. Then, when I finish the Carrier, it won't properly load the Fort mission. Load bar fills, screen goes black. I can alt-tab out and end the process, but nothing else.

I've played a bit through the mission on lower settings, and the problem persists all the way through. I haven't bothered finishing it yet, so I'll post more feedback once I find time to finish the mission, and see if the next mission has the same issue.

First thing I tried, was turning hardware sound off; did not turn out to be the problem.
Next, I tuned all the graphics down to minimum, rather than maximum (my rig + settings are below). With minimum settings I mean no AA, all filtering and quality settings to the lowest possible ones and resolution 800x600.

I load the game up again, and it loads fine, I can play the level. Whenever I set the graphic settings back it freaks out again.

Rig and settings:
CPU: Intel Pentium XE 955 (link (http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm)) - Dual Core with Hyper Threading http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
RAM: 2GB PC6400 (aka DDR2-800) Kingston, 2 1GB chips in Dual Channel mode
GFX: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS, 640MB VRAM
HD: 160GB Western Digital, 7200RPM SATA
PSU: Coolermaster Extreme Power, 550 Watt
Using on-board sound card

Please note that I'm running Windows Vista, which hasn't been a problem with the game so far, and it's a very specific issue that can be circumvented.
Far Cry 1.4, latest drivers for all my hardware.
1280x1024, 8x AA, 4x AF (cuz it doesn't go higher :P), everything else @ very high (trilinear texture filtering)

So, any ideas what the problem is or how to fix it?

werelds
03-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, first off:

Yes, I've searched the Forums, but couldn't find a conclusive answer or 'fix' (or I might be blind)

Now, I've recently reinstalled Far Cry, and at first it seemed to be fine. I played through the training and Carrier missions without a single problem, no stutters, crashes, nothing. Then, when I finish the Carrier, it won't properly load the Fort mission. Load bar fills, screen goes black. I can alt-tab out and end the process, but nothing else.

I've played a bit through the mission on lower settings, and the problem persists all the way through. I haven't bothered finishing it yet, so I'll post more feedback once I find time to finish the mission, and see if the next mission has the same issue.

First thing I tried, was turning hardware sound off; did not turn out to be the problem.
Next, I tuned all the graphics down to minimum, rather than maximum (my rig + settings are below). With minimum settings I mean no AA, all filtering and quality settings to the lowest possible ones and resolution 800x600.

I load the game up again, and it loads fine, I can play the level. Whenever I set the graphic settings back it freaks out again.

Rig and settings:
CPU: Intel Pentium XE 955 (link (http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm)) - Dual Core with Hyper Threading http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
RAM: 2GB PC6400 (aka DDR2-800) Kingston, 2 1GB chips in Dual Channel mode
GFX: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS, 640MB VRAM
HD: 160GB Western Digital, 7200RPM SATA
PSU: Coolermaster Extreme Power, 550 Watt
Using on-board sound card

Please note that I'm running Windows Vista, which hasn't been a problem with the game so far, and it's a very specific issue that can be circumvented.
Far Cry 1.4, latest drivers for all my hardware.
1280x1024, 8x AA, 4x AF (cuz it doesn't go higher :P), everything else @ very high (trilinear texture filtering)

So, any ideas what the problem is or how to fix it?

werelds
03-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Little update: problem persisted in next two missions, turned everything back up except water quality and it runs flawless again; might have been the problem?

Need to do more testing while I play ^_^

sauvage2007
10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi
i bought the game this afternoon and I've been experiencing similar problems.
At the end of the carrier mission the fort loading bar fills up and the game freezes...
There was this one time where the fort actually loaded, worked for about 5sec and then the game just closed and I was back on my desktop...

I tried loading the pier (the mission after the fort) through the console and there doesn't seem to be a problem there...

So the game runs fine on the first 2 levels, screws up on the fort and seems to run ok on the pier (it would really piss me off if I had to skip a level...)

Do you have any more info, have you found a good fix or something ?

my config :
laptop
Vista
Intel core 2 duo T7500
Geforce 8600M GS
2Go RAM