PDA

View Full Version : I'm no deist...

GoToAway
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
But I'm starting to believe that the universe is making a concerted effort to **** with me lately.

Last night my air mattress popped. OK, fine. Pain in the ***, but I can sleep on the couch until I can afford another. And of course I'm sleeping on an air mattress to begin with since my real bed floated away.

This morning I woke up and discovered that one of my hard disks--the one with all of the important stuff--had completely failed out of the blue. It was just over a year old.

This wouldn't be so bad, but last month by DVD burner died, so I wasn't able to do my twice yearly backup. I was going to replace it, but the whole house filling with water while my stairs imploded thing sort of preoccupied me.

I have an old disk formatting now. I'll see if I can get anything off of the dead one. I hope so. That'd be a welcome relief.

It's time for Western Digital and I to part ways. My last three disk failures have all been WDs. I guess I've been clinging to the memory of their high quality disks from about 10 years back. In the meantime, the Seagate 10K.6 that I've been using as my boot drive for the past 7 years is still going strong. I guess I'll take that as a hint.

GoToAway
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
But I'm starting to believe that the universe is making a concerted effort to **** with me lately.

Last night my air mattress popped. OK, fine. Pain in the ***, but I can sleep on the couch until I can afford another. And of course I'm sleeping on an air mattress to begin with since my real bed floated away.

This morning I woke up and discovered that one of my hard disks--the one with all of the important stuff--had completely failed out of the blue. It was just over a year old.

This wouldn't be so bad, but last month by DVD burner died, so I wasn't able to do my twice yearly backup. I was going to replace it, but the whole house filling with water while my stairs imploded thing sort of preoccupied me.

I have an old disk formatting now. I'll see if I can get anything off of the dead one. I hope so. That'd be a welcome relief.

It's time for Western Digital and I to part ways. My last three disk failures have all been WDs. I guess I've been clinging to the memory of their high quality disks from about 10 years back. In the meantime, the Seagate 10K.6 that I've been using as my boot drive for the past 7 years is still going strong. I guess I'll take that as a hint.

stalkervision
01-20-2011, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:

It's time for Western Digital and I to part ways. My last three disk failures have all been WDs. I guess I've been clinging to the memory of their high quality disks from about 10 years back. In the meantime, the Seagate 10K.6 that I've been using as my boot drive for the past 7 years is still going strong. I guess I'll take that as a hint. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely understand the feeling. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

It's Karma related but god's know what i did to deserve this.

GoToAway
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
I completely understand the feeling. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

It's Karma related but god's know what i did to deserve this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't believe in karma.

Messaschnitzel
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Sometimes I feel the same way when the life stuff has gone to sh*t. I tell myself that if that's the case, then I'll take it as some kind of sadistic 'cosmic test' to challenge and see whether I fail and give up, or flip the bird to the cosmic whatever in its face and make it through the best I can. About the air mattress, can you put some bike tire patches on it to fix it? Also, if the couch is uncomfortable to sleep on, you can use layers of cardboard stacked a few inches thick that will work as a temporary mattress.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoToAway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:

It's Karma related but god's know what i did to deserve this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't believe in karma. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's OK, karma believes in you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

K_Freddie
01-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Do you stay in an area of erratic mains power, high thunderstorm activity. Replacing the PC Power Supply might be an idea.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

leitmotiv
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
No deist, now that is rich stuff! You are definitely not a Voltaire, be assured!

GoToAway
01-20-2011, 11:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Messaschnitzel:
Sometimes I feel the same way when the life stuff has gone to sh*t. I tell myself that if that's the case, then I'll take it as some kind of sadistic 'cosmic test' to challenge and see whether I fail and give up, or flip the bird to the cosmic whatever in its face and make it through the best I can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm a fan of the finger.
I don't give up. I'm far too stubborn for that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">About the air mattress, can you put some bike tire patches on it to fix it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's in a really weird place right along a seam... and it's on the "felted" side (the other is just bare rubber.) Those two factors make nothing I've tried so far want to adhere.

I'll try a few more things.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
That's OK, karma believes in you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Then perhaps it should pay up, because it owes me. I've spent the past 15 years taking care of various people and asking nothing in return. If that's not worth "good karma," then I'm not sure what is.

GoToAway
01-20-2011, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
No deist, now that is rich stuff! You are definitely not a Voltaire, be assured! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>See? There's no such thing as karma.

If there were, leprosy would have rotted off leit's fingers and he wouldn't be able offer his incessant pontification and hubris to an unwilling audience.

GoToAway
01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
By the way, anyone have any suggestions for free data recovery apps? The format of the new "old" disk is at 91%, so the attempt is imminent. I usually manage to catch a disk before it fails, so I haven't used any in years.

I DLed "Power Data Recovery" which, despite the awful name, seems to be rather well reviewed. Still, I'd like to have an alternative to try if that doesn't work once I get the drive spun up again.

Messaschnitzel
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
It's in a really weird place right along a seam... and it's on the "felted" side (the other is just bare rubber.) Those two factors make nothing I've tried so far want to adhere.

I'll try a few more things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you might do is get some Barge rubber cement and put it on the area to be patched so that it will slick down the felt and once it dried, rough it up with some sandpaper so it'll give the patch a key to latch onto once it's glued in place. Barge cement is some great stuff. One of the SCA helmets that I got has some padded leather cheekpieces glued directly onto the metal, and this thing has been in both hot and cold weather, been soaked in sweat, and are still securely in place the same as when I first put them in 21 years ago.

GoToAway
01-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I'll look into it. Thanks.

And...
I don't want to jinx it, but it appears that the disk in question has spun up properly on its own for one last time. I'm already dumping everything I can onto the freshly formatted one.

Fingers crossed that it completes before it ****s the bed.

Cajun76
01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
No deist, now that is rich stuff! You are definitely not a Voltaire, be assured! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>See? There's no such thing as karma.

If there were, leprosy would have rotted off leit's fingers and he wouldn't be able offer his incessant pontification and hubris to an unwilling audience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pot, meet kettle. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif