PDA

View Full Version : Real F16 Thunderbirds crash at airshow movie

WFAlbertsma
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi Moviemakers !

At the last days of 2005....

I got div. footage from RUSS.NL and now I found some time to make these actualy two different recordings into one short movie.
Hope you can apreceate it !

Don't know when or where this crash took place.
Also don't know if the pilot was injured or maybe worse afther his bailout ...
Maybe I can get some feetback in this topic ?
There is so much happening in 1.5 seconds.
I know that afther lessons for the ejection seat as firefighter on a Dutch F5/F16 airbase of the RNAF (Klu) in 1989/1990.

I which everybody a very happy new year, and hope to see manny movies by you all in 2006 !

The link to the movie (click on the picture )at my home page ( comments are welcome because I invested quite some time in this site ):

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/wfa

Greetz, Wine'69, near Amsterdam in Holland.

WFAlbertsma
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi Moviemakers !

At the last days of 2005....

I got div. footage from RUSS.NL and now I found some time to make these actualy two different recordings into one short movie.
Hope you can apreceate it !

Don't know when or where this crash took place.
Also don't know if the pilot was injured or maybe worse afther his bailout ...
Maybe I can get some feetback in this topic ?
There is so much happening in 1.5 seconds.
I know that afther lessons for the ejection seat as firefighter on a Dutch F5/F16 airbase of the RNAF (Klu) in 1989/1990.

I which everybody a very happy new year, and hope to see manny movies by you all in 2006 !

The link to the movie (click on the picture )at my home page ( comments are welcome because I invested quite some time in this site ):

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/wfa

Greetz, Wine'69, near Amsterdam in Holland.

russ.nl
01-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Gelukkig nieuwjaar to you too!

Great editing m8 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif you will be hearing from me soon for some nice clips and sounds I have managed to collect.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=&d=06520&f=20060101_champagne.jpg

GL2
01-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Do you know what happened to the pilot? Looks like he was pretty low when he punched out.

RAF-Blackace
01-01-2006, 04:16 PM
S!

He survived, on investigation it was found the accident was because the pilot forgot to set his altimeter before take off, a rudimentary mistake that made him think he had more altitude than he actually did, the roll at the top was where the altimeter said it was Ok to pull the turn, but of course he never had the height to recover from it and so the crash was inevitable.

There is another film of this crash showing more camera angles, but the one they dont show is the hidden seat camera, apparently the image was browned out and couldnt be developed.

If you look real close you can see his shoulders tense as he realises he has a problem several seconds before he actually ejects, hell I would have pulled it there and not left it any longer.

WFAlbertsma
01-01-2006, 04:33 PM
The ejection seat of todays fighters are so called "zero/zero" ejection seats.
That means that the are capeable to launch at zero altitude and zero speed. The plane may be also upside down when ejecting ( at a minimum altitude off ?? feet ) because the seat has instruments on it which make the seat steering it self in the right position to make sure the pilot and seat are separated safely.

The seat has one main rocket to get distance from the plane. ( this the one you saw on the film )
But there is also a second that is steering the seat to the left or right position from the plane. ( This is to make sure the pilot does not land into the fire of his crashed plane with his parachute )

The ride with an ejection seat is very violent. It causes mostly back injury problems because off the high G-force during the unbelieveable quick escape from the plane.
But the pilot will survive his ejection and that's the point, survival !

GL2
01-01-2006, 06:40 PM
I was wondering how he could have miscalculated what, for those guys, is a simple maneuver, but that makes sense if his altimeter wasn't set properly. Well, that was only about a $20 million mistake. Now I don't feel so bad about denting my dad's car when I was a kid.

FritzGryphon
01-19-2006, 08:09 PM
I heard (don't know if it's true) the altimiter had been set to barometric, when it should have been radar.

Assuming the altitude was AGL instead of ASL, the pilot started the manuever with too little altitude.

Enforcer572005
01-21-2006, 08:56 PM
both versions of that video (from the crowd and from a camera in teh cockpit in front of him) are also at Patrick's aviation site. THat is pretty hairy. They even have the MTV van halen video of the Blue Angels in A-4Fs back in 83. Lots of other T-bird stuff to.

WFAlbertsma
01-22-2006, 04:50 AM
Thx, I will have a look at Patrick's

VW-IceFire
01-29-2006, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WFAlbertsma:
The ejection seat of todays fighters are so called "zero/zero" ejection seats.
That means that the are capeable to launch at zero altitude and zero speed. The plane may be also upside down when ejecting ( at a minimum altitude off ?? feet ) because the seat has instruments on it which make the seat steering it self in the right position to make sure the pilot and seat are separated safely.

The seat has one main rocket to get distance from the plane. ( this the one you saw on the film )
But there is also a second that is steering the seat to the left or right position from the plane. ( This is to make sure the pilot does not land into the fire of his crashed plane with his parachute )

The ride with an ejection seat is very violent. It causes mostly back injury problems because off the high G-force during the unbelieveable quick escape from the plane.
But the pilot will survive his ejection and that's the point, survival ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also apparently most pilots who go through with the ejection from that sort of system end up being an inch or more shorter after the incident. The whole spinal column just gets compressed a bunch. Thats what I've read.

WFAlbertsma
01-30-2006, 01:15 AM
That's true,

The G-force of the ejection is very high.