PDA

View Full Version : Destination Off-Road

ghrelin
03-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Destination: Off-Road is a new project currently headed to the CryEngine. The premise is simple: choose your favourite vehicle, customize it and hit the dirt to win large cash rewards or your opponents ride.

Features include but are not limited to;
-Customizable vehicles
-Wide range of vehicles: H1, H2, 4x4 F-150's & F-250's, Chevrolet Avalanche's and dozens of others.
-Treacherous terrain
-Realistic physics: weather affects driving performance, stalling, engine destruction and full damage models.
-Competitive online modes featuring "SWAP" which is a match to win your opponents vehicle.
-Statistics tracking: lists your best time, amount of MPH/Km etc.

Those are some planned features that I wish to incorporate provided the SDK provides the necessities to make them possible. D:OR is aiming to give true off-roading enthusiasts a chance to muck around with trucks they wish they were driving. If cruising through a foot of mud is your cup of tea then D:OR will kindly deliver. If hyper-fast and dangerous off-roading interests you but are scared to do it with your beast, then D:OR is for you.

For more informaiton please ask here. And finally I'm not looking for anyone just yet. I have to get everything organized and written up before I look for members. I'm just posting this to announce D:OR for Far Cry.

Thanks

ghrelin
03-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Destination: Off-Road is a new project currently headed to the CryEngine. The premise is simple: choose your favourite vehicle, customize it and hit the dirt to win large cash rewards or your opponents ride.

Features include but are not limited to;
-Customizable vehicles
-Wide range of vehicles: H1, H2, 4x4 F-150's & F-250's, Chevrolet Avalanche's and dozens of others.
-Treacherous terrain
-Realistic physics: weather affects driving performance, stalling, engine destruction and full damage models.
-Competitive online modes featuring "SWAP" which is a match to win your opponents vehicle.
-Statistics tracking: lists your best time, amount of MPH/Km etc.

Those are some planned features that I wish to incorporate provided the SDK provides the necessities to make them possible. D:OR is aiming to give true off-roading enthusiasts a chance to muck around with trucks they wish they were driving. If cruising through a foot of mud is your cup of tea then D:OR will kindly deliver. If hyper-fast and dangerous off-roading interests you but are scared to do it with your beast, then D:OR is for you.

For more informaiton please ask here. And finally I'm not looking for anyone just yet. I have to get everything organized and written up before I look for members. I'm just posting this to announce D:OR for Far Cry.

Thanks

ghrelin
03-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Polybump

DrJeckyl723
03-31-2004, 09:03 PM
don't forget toyotas. i have a 99' TRD limited i can send you some nice shots of if you want. or even some early 80's would be cool. email me if you're interested in the 99'. admin@forgamers-bygamers.com

http://www.ForGamers-ByGamers.com
News, Information and Reviews for gamers BY gamers.

DrJeckyl723
03-31-2004, 09:06 PM
OH, i just remembered my neighbor has a extended cab(toyota) with a custom flatbed and huge lift if you want pics of that too.

iggy_
04-01-2004, 12:22 AM
cj7 and cj8 both better be in that mod!

ghrelin
04-01-2004, 02:37 AM
The emphasis will be on vehicle selection. I'd like to create a truck-load of vehicles so there'll be a wide variety to choose from. Though at launch D:OR will feature a certain amount of vehicles with different performance properties. Now I may be shooting myself by saying this, but it simply must be said; every type of vehicle you can think of that handles off-road will be available, maybe not all at once but they will make it over time. Far Cry is here to stay for a long time and so is D:OR

And sure send me the photo's. I'm collecting a ****load of them for reference. Send to my junk-account ganlas@hotmail.com

Socket-man
04-01-2004, 04:40 AM
I dunno why, but this sounds like a fun mod. And this engine seems ideally suited to the idea too. Good luck

ghrelin
04-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Any racing game is fun. Well the only one that I enjoyed was 4x4 EVO by Terminal Reality. Simply and only because it offered nice vehicles and drive-anywhere type gameplay, a feature that is commonly missed in racing games today. Oh and grand theft auto featured awesome vehicle physics, I mean you can really feel shocks as they work over terrain and curbs.

With D:OR I want to capture the intensity of hardcore racing with awesome damage modeling. I'd like to be able to tip an opponents rear and watch him/her flip and roll into a ball of metal. I'am very fond of minute-details and this game will have many.

Racing coupled with 1st-person adventuring, this is truly something to watch for. Example: bust a tire trying to jump some ice, easily pull over and fix it yourself with easy-to-use controls and interfaces. I'm so excited that I can finally build my dream racing game.

JafitMan
04-01-2004, 01:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghrelin:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn you Need for Speed Underground, why did you have to be so cool? look at what you've started.

i'd be good if you can do it. the vehicle controls are quite basic at the momet. forward, back, turn, brake... would you add gear control and torque ratios and everything like that? if so i've seen a pretty good tutorial for car physics on t'internet recently. i dont kow if it'd be suited to off road, but it goes through all the equasions you'd probably need for vehicle code.

You are not your post count
Nor are you your system spec

Dont be so vain, nobody cares about how much ram you've got

ThePsycold
04-01-2004, 01:13 PM
WRX.

CrEEPInG_MonKEY
04-01-2004, 01:15 PM
If soneone got your pink slip, couldn't you just create an exact replica of your previous vehicle? Also this would take one big database. You would have to have a big server with MySQL databasing for EVERY person who tried to play this game.

ghrelin
04-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Well that sort of thing is no problem as most hosts and servers will most likely offer their services. I'm sure if we get this going then something will certainly turn up. If not then I will invest in some server space and get everything going on there. Car information will be handled server-side. You can't open "DOR/Cars/Handling.cfg" or "DOR/ghrelin/cars/H2.lua" for example and edit it because it won't be there.

As for the physics, I'm hoping to add onto what Far Cry has available currently and see how things go from there. If it turns out crap, then I will find some guys or girls to help me write a car-handling-performance system, provided the SDK allows such things. I'm hoping all my questions will be answered once I have the SDK.

NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND! Is thee worst game I have ever played, nuff' said. EA just cashed in on the whole 2 Fast 2 Furious overload going on. I like their modification system and may borrow a page or two from it, but other than that it is dump.

DrJeckyl723
04-01-2004, 02:56 PM
gamespy offers AWSOME hosting for mod teams, look into that.

i'll try to get thos pictures to you this weekend since it will be nice and sunny here all week. what angles and specific shots do you want?

ghrelin
04-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Try one from the front, the back, the left side and a few looking up from the ground.

ghrelin
04-01-2004, 04:51 PM
HIRING: I' am currently looking for a 2D artist who can help me setup a website for the project. If you enjoy challenges and would like to work with a mature individual, myself, then please let me know here or email me at junk-mail account: ganlas@hotmail.com