PDA

View Full Version : TEAMSPEAK WHAT DO YOU THINK?!?!

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 12:32 AM
Hey all stager here, wondering what if any body likes running it with raven-shield server running. Do you think Team Speak is cheating?

OP clan teamspeak server:

opclan.no-ip.com

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 12:32 AM
Hey all stager here, wondering what if any body likes running it with raven-shield server running. Do you think Team Speak is cheating?

OP clan teamspeak server:

opclan.no-ip.com

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Of course not.

But Ventrilo is better.

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 08:39 AM
1st, there is a old cliche "communication is the key to success" no way is it cheating unless you have ghost cams on teh server.

2nd ventrilo, teamspeak and MS gamevoice are all fine voice comms.

Smart-Hosting.com happens to rent all 3 of those platforms. =) if you decide you need a OC12 Teamspeak server let me know, I'll give ya a discount on our packages.

Brad

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 11:21 AM
Well real life you have radios so why is using a coms online cheating. The whole point with a clan is playing together as a team so i think its all part of the game.

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Hey all great responses, I have another question though. Why can't I just host my own teamspeak server i got one running but i am going to pick up 5 headphones today and give em to my clan members(local people). Do you really need a highspeed server for Teamspeak?

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 04:05 PM
You dont need a highspeed server for any voice comms unless you have alot of users connected. Voice comm servers use alot of bandwidth and cpu power. If your hosting a few players you should be fine. But if you have 10,20 or 30 you will definatly not want to host your own server.

Brad

XyZspineZyX
05-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Nice thanks for the advice! I am just hosting for 5 people, not to much. Have a great day!

XyZspineZyX
05-25-2003, 11:04 PM
We have been hosting our Team Speak server with roughly 10 users dedicated on a mid power pentium server...Never any problems for us...

------------
http://www.***tclan.com

XyZspineZyX
05-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Well another thing you have to realise with having TeamSpeak hosted by a company is redundancy.

If you host the TeamSpeak server for your clan, and let's say you're in a match. If you internet connection goes down, there goes your whole teams connection.

With a hosting company, your connection goes down and your team is still up and communicating.

Also, I don't know about other TeamSpeak hosting companies but with Smart-Hosting, if our network connection drops, we have several data centers throughout the country, so we have backup team speak servers in case the main server goes down.

Most of our customers are hard core teams that play on ladders and leagues, so they rely on a provider in keeping their TeamSpeak connection lag-free and up 99% of the time.

Hopefully this information will help you decide if TeamSpeak hosting is right for you.

Brad

XyZspineZyX
05-27-2003, 03:52 PM
I have a small group of friends that play together and I have a teamspeak server that I host locally when we play. I have been running the teamspeak server on a Gentoo Linux machine with the following specs:

Dual P-III 1.0 GHz
Asus CUV4X-D Motherboard
1 GB PC133
60 GB ATA RAID 5

kernel 2.4.20
running headless (i.e. no X)

There are usually 2-5 of us using teamspeak and we play with me hosting the game on my Windows PC (Over the same internet connection as the teamspeak server) without problems. Once Ubi releases the standalone Linux server I plan to run it on the same machine as teamspeak, and I will post info to this board letting you guys know how it performs for me under those circumstances (Its all a matter of how much CPU the RvS server takes. Teamspeak doesn't tax the server at all. There is a JBoss server running on it as well, but it is a dev server and extremely low traffic.)

XyZspineZyX
06-03-2003, 04:53 PM
You can throttle teamspeak to use different levels of bandwidth. From 10.2kbps to 24kbps per user up and down (meaning that each person is talking and listening at the same time) In other words a 10 player TS server on the 14kbps codec will max out at 192kbps if everyone is talking at the same time. 14kbps codec will give the highest quality voice, but could cause some type of hiccup in the game to the client. The server won't see anything abnormal, but the client may be taxed. I suggest using the 6.2kbps codec.

XyZspineZyX
06-04-2003, 11:12 PM
We have 2 TS servers ..One is running on a 466 celeron with 128 megs of ram on a T-1 , This server can hold 15 people easy cause we have done it it is always silky smooth...Our other TS server is a Linux base on a T-3 which runs our webhosting its only configured for 10 people , if we would compare i think the celeron machine runs much better the linux TS server sometimes gets real choppy and crashs .....So you dont need a powerhouse to host and yes having two dedicated TS servers is a good thing to have because they do crash from time to time and being in a ladder match when they crash isnt the best time in the world not to have a back up system =)

Oh yeah forgot to say we use 16.4

Message Edited on 06/04/0310:16PM by e504-Fusion

XyZspineZyX
08-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Why rent when theres ones up for free at www.clanselite.com (http://www.clanselite.com)
->> RavenShield | Public <<- 216.12.200.100:8771
password = sniper 20 slots, green & red team channels 8 each

XyZspineZyX
08-11-2003, 02:36 PM
No not really; but all players should use it to be even.

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:06 PM
You dont need a high speed server to host it. Theyare just tryign scam you out of money.

BBE_fREaK
11-30-2004, 05:31 AM
Voice communication is defenitly NOT cheating. Offcourse only when only the team-members speak to each other. 'In the real' swat teams use radio communication etc..

Almost anyone who has a stable server at home can easily host a 24 to 32 slots teamspeak server (windows/linux).
A 'high speed' hosting company is only intresting if you want such a server to be there 24/7. (if you look arround a bit, it shouldn't be much expensive).