PDA

View Full Version : Graphic issues and crashes after 20~60 minutes playing NOT solved!!! [Delete this thread!]

XyZspineZyX
11-24-2003, 08:54 PM
>Hello everybody.
>
>I've had a, what it seems to me, very common problem with >Splintercell:
>
>The game started to freeze rhythmically after a few minutes >of playing or just locked up totally with the sound doing a >repetitive loop of the last seconds.
>
>It usually began with these freezes that last aprox. 1 >second and no sound and then normal playing for 1 second, >freeze for 1 second, normal playing 1 second... and so on. >With the frequency getting higher during 1-2 minutes then >total lock up/freeze with the sound of the last second >gettign repeated endlessly.
>
>I tried almost everything to solve this installing new >drivers (gfx card, re-install directx, mainboard), >re-installing XP (for other resons tho =D I'm not mad, I >won't re-install my whole OS for just one f*kced up game :>P). Then I thought an exchanged RAM module which turned out >to be broken, would also fix my problem with SC, but after >doing that, my system wasn't garbling my data on my HDs >anymore, but the game didn't work correctly just the same >as before.
>
>Then finally I tried something that I came across in some >game forum, maybe it was this one, I dunno know anymore. >Someone described in a post the exact same problems with a >game like I had, and his solution of the porblem was to >install a OVERCLOCKING tool for his gfx board and use it >UNDERCLOCK the GPU and the gfx RAM. I did it, and now SC >works without overheating the gfx card or corrupting >graphic data.
>
>I'm using the Leadtek 310 TD my VIVO card and it's factory >default clock settings are 325 MHz for the GPU and 500 MHz >for the RAM, I then installed RivaTuner and used it to >lower the speed to 295MHz for the GPU and 450MHz for the >RAM.
>
>It doesn't give me a big performance loss anyway, since the >310 TD is equipped with a GeForce FX 5600, which is a >rather low-cost and stripped down FX GPU.
>
>Now if you have the described issue with the game or maybe >some other gfx problems, too, and nothing worked, then you >should try lowering the clock speeds of your gfx baord.
>
>Regards,
>Barb.

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSCHIT! IT DIDN'T WORK AT ALL! NEXT TIME I PLAYED SC IT CRASHED THE SAME. I THINK I JUST HAD A LUCKY GAME AFTER THE UNDERCLOCKING!

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS "SOLUTION" ANYMORE!

Message Edited on 12/07/0310:39AM by Barberbing

XyZspineZyX
11-24-2003, 08:54 PM
>Hello everybody.
>
>I've had a, what it seems to me, very common problem with >Splintercell:
>
>The game started to freeze rhythmically after a few minutes >of playing or just locked up totally with the sound doing a >repetitive loop of the last seconds.
>
>It usually began with these freezes that last aprox. 1 >second and no sound and then normal playing for 1 second, >freeze for 1 second, normal playing 1 second... and so on. >With the frequency getting higher during 1-2 minutes then >total lock up/freeze with the sound of the last second >gettign repeated endlessly.
>
>I tried almost everything to solve this installing new >drivers (gfx card, re-install directx, mainboard), >re-installing XP (for other resons tho =D I'm not mad, I >won't re-install my whole OS for just one f*kced up game :>P). Then I thought an exchanged RAM module which turned out >to be broken, would also fix my problem with SC, but after >doing that, my system wasn't garbling my data on my HDs >anymore, but the game didn't work correctly just the same >as before.
>
>Then finally I tried something that I came across in some >game forum, maybe it was this one, I dunno know anymore. >Someone described in a post the exact same problems with a >game like I had, and his solution of the porblem was to >install a OVERCLOCKING tool for his gfx board and use it >UNDERCLOCK the GPU and the gfx RAM. I did it, and now SC >works without overheating the gfx card or corrupting >graphic data.
>
>I'm using the Leadtek 310 TD my VIVO card and it's factory >default clock settings are 325 MHz for the GPU and 500 MHz >for the RAM, I then installed RivaTuner and used it to >lower the speed to 295MHz for the GPU and 450MHz for the >RAM.
>
>It doesn't give me a big performance loss anyway, since the >310 TD is equipped with a GeForce FX 5600, which is a >rather low-cost and stripped down FX GPU.
>
>Now if you have the described issue with the game or maybe >some other gfx problems, too, and nothing worked, then you >should try lowering the clock speeds of your gfx baord.
>
>Regards,
>Barb.

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSCHIT! IT DIDN'T WORK AT ALL! NEXT TIME I PLAYED SC IT CRASHED THE SAME. I THINK I JUST HAD A LUCKY GAME AFTER THE UNDERCLOCKING!

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS "SOLUTION" ANYMORE!

Message Edited on 12/07/0310:39AM by Barberbing

XyZspineZyX
11-24-2003, 10:22 PM
RivaTuner is a quite big, bloated and feature rich tool, which is only interesting to the overclocking-pros. So I searched for a better solution for guys like me, who only want to lower the core and ram clocks a bir: CoolBits.

It's not a whole program, but rather a registry entry. Heh, this only aplies to nVidia Detonator driver, because they have a hidden built-in Clock frequency manipulator.

You activate it by adding this entry to your registry:

In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvTweak" add the dword "CoolBits" with this value "00000003" or "3" I guess. Or just use this reg file: http://www.overclockers.com.au/files/CoolBits.reg

Of course, my disclaimer: Overclocking, do it on your own risk, fiddling with the registry can leave your OS in a state of crap. Blah, personally I think it's not a big deal applying this patch.

Have fun!

--- YA! Still a nice way to get overclocking support... ---

Message Edited on 12/07/0310:40AM by Barberbing

XyZspineZyX
11-24-2003, 10:55 PM
The one for ATI is called Rage Pro and it can be found at www.guru3d.com (http://www.guru3d.com)

My system:

AMD XP 3000+ @ 2.23Ghz
1 gig of Corsair DDR PC2700 RAM @354Mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro video w/TV out core @434, mem @720
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0b
Antec TruePower TrueBlue True480 PSU
16x Antec DVD drive
24x10x40 Plexwriter CD-RW
1 Maxtor Diamond 9 160GB SATA hdd
1 Westerndigital 40 gig harddrive
1 Westerndigital 100 gig hdd (external)