01-24-2004, 05:34 AM
I have a:
2.6 Gig
512MB DDR Ram
80 Gig 7200 RPM Hard drive
128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro System
Windows XP Professional

FAR CRY DEMO UNSTABLE

My computer is stable in every way. I even have the 4.1 Catalyst Drivers installed which have proven to enhance my Call of Duty experience as well as enhance the many other games I have in my library. As for this Far Cry demo, it is not stable. I have experienced the disfiguration of video (Blue lines and distortion) while attempting to play, but what really annoyes me is when I load Far Cry, option to play, and it completely freezes my system leaving me to have to reboot!!! Never have I experienced a freeze on this system. It was completely unheard of until now. I sincerely hope Ubisoft fixes these problems. It is very odd. The game worked the first few times I played it....and the game seemed to be a cool experience when the demo worked....but I can't say...NOT ENOUGH PLAYING TIME!!! They need to come up with a stable demo.....all my other games work to perfection....this is certainly a problem with this particular demo....I hope it is not indicative of what is to come during release.

~Frustrated gamer~

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 05:34 AM
I have a:
2.6 Gig
512MB DDR Ram
80 Gig 7200 RPM Hard drive
128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro System
Windows XP Professional

FAR CRY DEMO UNSTABLE

My computer is stable in every way. I even have the 4.1 Catalyst Drivers installed which have proven to enhance my Call of Duty experience as well as enhance the many other games I have in my library. As for this Far Cry demo, it is not stable. I have experienced the disfiguration of video (Blue lines and distortion) while attempting to play, but what really annoyes me is when I load Far Cry, option to play, and it completely freezes my system leaving me to have to reboot!!! Never have I experienced a freeze on this system. It was completely unheard of until now. I sincerely hope Ubisoft fixes these problems. It is very odd. The game worked the first few times I played it....and the game seemed to be a cool experience when the demo worked....but I can't say...NOT ENOUGH PLAYING TIME!!! They need to come up with a stable demo.....all my other games work to perfection....this is certainly a problem with this particular demo....I hope it is not indicative of what is to come during release.

~Frustrated gamer~

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 06:03 AM
Use the Cat's 3.9

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 06:19 AM
I had problems with Call of Duty and did the whole driver jumble AFTER the game was released. Not to worry, as this Far Cry will not be released for a few more months. The beta testers are hard at play and, rest assured , this problem WILL be addressed either in the game's final release or the first patch or so. Have faith in Ubi.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:49 AM
u system need more ram...game has not crashed with my mid range machine even one...with 2x aa and 4x af..but frame rate is very low only 25 frames

PIV 2.4 GHz 533 FSB(NorthWood), 768 MB DDR RAM (333 FSB),Geforce FX 5600 256 MB DDR RAM, SB LIVE! DE 5.1,Intel 845GEBV2 Motherboard, Maxtor 7200 rpm 160 HDD, Windows Longhorn 4051 Build

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Sorry to say, but you should have read, right on the Ubi download page:

ATI based cards must have: Catalyst drivers 3.9

There you go!

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:59 AM
- I have a:
- 2.6 Gig
- 512MB DDR Ram
- 120 Gig 7200 RPM Hard drive
- 128 MB Radeon 9700 Pro System
- Windows XP Home
I have the same problem as barmmer. I was looking forward to playing the game, but I have the catalyst 4.1 and it crashed, and it crashed, then it crashed again, then it worked with all settigns at their lowest, then it crashed, crashed some more. Yeah, maybe it did crash one more time. I hope Ubi releases a truly "playable" demo, or patches this one. I did try to roll back my driver to 3.9, but I could not. It went from 4.1 to 3.10 to 2.4, and I could not find a 3.9 download on the web.

Message Edited on 01/24/0407:01AM by dgreenhog

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 08:07 AM
I'm running it on the 3.10 drivers and haven't had a single problem. The game runs smooth as silk on maxed-out settings. No crashes or problems of any notable kind.

(Specs: P4 3Ghz, 1Gb DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9800XT w/ Cat 3.10, Windows XP w/ DX 9.0b)

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Catalyst 3.9....lol.....4.1 is a more up to date and more stable driver for ATI cards. The demo is obviously bogus....I uninstalled the demo and reinstalled....and it will do as it has done before...it will work at couple of times....and then completely crash.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 07:31 PM
I've tried catalyst 4.1, 3.9 and 3.8, and I really can't tell the difference. It runs decent enough, but will occasionally choke every now and then (usually when opening a door). I'm seriously thinking of doubling my RAM and adding a faster processor.

Up until now, the only game I have ever had problems with performance wise has been Deus Ex 2.
To put this in perspective, I can run Max Payne 2 at 1280x1024, with all the detail levels cranked up, and get almost no slowdown.

I bought this computer last year, and thought it would last through 2004 without an upgrade. Looks like I was wrong.

---------------------
2.4GHz Pentium IV
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
---------------------

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Yep,sounds like a driver issue and not a memory issue.
Im running a Dell Dimension 8300 P4 2.66ghz
512ddr ram
9800 aiw(softmodded to pro)
Soundblaster 5.1
Windows xp
Ive got the omega(softmod)Catalyst 3.10 drivers and can run this and any other game in existence(Call Of Duty) included,ive got the Far Cry demo running at 1280x1024 aa xhigh,and all details on very high and not a problem,dont fear the catalyst drivers as i said ive always used them and not a problem.
Hope this helps Adi7.

XyZspineZyX
01-24-2004, 08:34 PM
2.6 Gig PIV
512 MB DDR
128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro

Andrew....your computer is fine....it's the demo that is the problem....the only thing I may consider is doubling my memory to a woppimg 1024MB DDR when Doom3 and HL2 come out just to make sure I have the solid frame rates...as for this game...certainly not....I was able to play the demo a few times with the above system (before the demo again broke down) with everything jacked up (Full AA, Very High on everything) and had no slow down whatsoever....this game is the first game to come out with a new graphics engine to take SLIGHT advantage of the next generation cards and systems we have (ATI9800 Pro's and Nvidia 5900 Ultra). We won't have to worry about having outdated systems for quite some time.
What they need to do is come up with a dependable demo.