PDA

View Full Version : Tech help with realMyst: it won't start!!!

Alexander24
02-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Here's the problem:
Like it says up top "it won't start."
It use to work fine, like a dream.
I loved it, and I still love it.
But just a few nights ago I updated my video driver for my video card. And now the game won't start at all. And I'v read all of the threads here and have tried almost everything that I know how to do, but I still can't get the game to start. I even downloaded Direct X 9.0b, and I have Direct X 8 and 7. But still it won't work, even my Jedi Knigh 2 works. In fact with the new driver Jedi Kight 2 looks better than before.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are my computer specs:

Pentium 4 2.2 ghz
Nvidia geforce4 4200 go
512 mb of RAM
Windows XP
And guess what; I even have the v1.11 patch
And I think all of my drivers are updated.

[This message was edited by Alexander24 on Wed February 11 2004 at 04:32 PM.]

Alexander24
02-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Here's the problem:
Like it says up top "it won't start."
It use to work fine, like a dream.
I loved it, and I still love it.
But just a few nights ago I updated my video driver for my video card. And now the game won't start at all. And I'v read all of the threads here and have tried almost everything that I know how to do, but I still can't get the game to start. I even downloaded Direct X 9.0b, and I have Direct X 8 and 7. But still it won't work, even my Jedi Knigh 2 works. In fact with the new driver Jedi Kight 2 looks better than before.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are my computer specs:

Pentium 4 2.2 ghz
Nvidia geforce4 4200 go
512 mb of RAM
Windows XP
And guess what; I even have the v1.11 patch
And I think all of my drivers are updated.

[This message was edited by Alexander24 on Wed February 11 2004 at 04:32 PM.]

mystmum
02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I assume you've tried compatability mode?

When you say "it won't start", does it do anything at all?

__________________________________________________ _________
Stop laughing, this is serious.

Alexander24
02-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Yes I'v tried that. And forgive me for not expounding on the problem a bit more in detail (and I am not trying to sound impertinent) of what happens when I try and start the game. There is this black screen, the black screen then shinks down to the resolution I have set for the game (the resolution is 1280/800 32bit, the notebook is a Dell Inspiron 8500) then it goes back to the desktop. Basically it's the same problem that I'v seen other people have here. But when I tried the compatability something new spung up, there is this error message that says "REALMYST.ICD has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It's not a "inconvenience", it's more like a real pain in the you know where, if "you know" what I mean.

The error message happens with windows 95, 98/ME, 2000, and NT. Thank you, and I forgot to say please in the last one, so here it is: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Hey, what can I say. I have the Illustrated Screenplay.

mystmum
02-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I doubt I can be much help (basically I'd like to keep this thread near the top till one of our more technically minded helpers comes online), but someone mentioned disabling the visual themes in another thread and that helped them.
I know how annoying tech problems are - I had them with Exile, that's what brought me to these forums originally 2 years ago!
It may take a couple of days, but I'm sure someone will get this licked for you soon.

__________________________________________________ _________
Stop laughing, this is serious.

Alexander24
02-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Wow, you're an original! I'm a original too.
The day that I got Myst 3 in the mail, is the same day I found out about the "Forums."
Yes kids, I lived durring the patch age. When we had to wait until the infamous "Tuesday Patch." Yes I was their.

And yes I'v tried disabling the visual themes.

And about the Star Wars line up there. I'm a Director, soon I'm going off to Film school.

Shh, shh, shh.
(Pause)
Do you know what I hear?
(Pause)
Nothing. No footsteps up the stairs, no hovercraft outside the window...
And no clickety-click of little spyders.
Do you know why I can't hear any of those things, Danny?
Because right now the precogs can't see a thing.

Homer6
02-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Alexander, you can't use the resolution you listed, set it to lower than 1280; can't remember the exact resolution, but it is much lower than 1280. Also, you might have to uninstall one or more of the Direct-X you have, I'd keep the older version and remove the other two and try the game again. Something in the newer versions of Direct-X give RealMyst heartburn. Keep in mind, I'm not 100% on the advise about Direct-X but am sure on the resolution.

Remember the important things.....as you turn on your computer. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Alexander24
02-12-2004, 05:43 AM
I'v tried every resolution there is for this game, and I'v tried it with 16 and 32 bit. And the game still does not work. And Direct x 9.0b I downloaded after I found out about the problem; thinking that it would fix it. But It's a good idea and I haven't tried uninstalling the other direct x's yet.

Thanks

Shh, shh, shh.
(Pause)
Do you know what I hear?
(Pause)

Alexander24
02-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Homer, I tried what you said; but it still doesn't work. But thank you for helping.

Shh, shh, shh.
(Pause)
Do you know what I hear?
(Pause)

TambraDoll
02-15-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm having exactly the same problem, but I read at UBI tech support to NOT update the drivers, so that may be why it's no longer working for you. For me, I'll have to call Dell about this Nvidia video card ( for those having THAT problem!) Hope this info helps! Let us know, ok? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Heuris
02-19-2004, 04:35 AM
The new drivers differ from previous versions in the way 3D functions are performed, and although they yield spectacular results when they work, they are a bit too aggressive for some applications:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Was the previous driver completely uninstalled and the machine rebooted prior to installing the new drivers?

Are you using default settings on the controls page that nvidia puts in the advanced section of "Display Properties"?

Have you tried turning off anti-aliasing or selecting another option in the 3D hardware box from within RealMyst setup?[/list]