PDA

View Full Version : Engine Restore, what do you guys think?

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:56 AM
Hey, it's about time for me to change my oil once again, and I've been looking at this product at the car parts stores called "Engine Restore" that comes in a little silver cylinder with formulas for different types of engines. Well, they claim that it restores compression and all that good stuff, but I was just wondering, there are very few "miracle" products out there, a lot of these things have drawbacks or negative effects on your engine, is anyone familiar with this product that can give me some advice on whether or not I should use it?

Thanks.

<hr>
--"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man." -Col. Jack O'Neill -Stargate SG-1
--Capt. Carter: "You think it might be a booby trap?"
‚ ‚ Teal'c: "Booby?"
--"I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to catch up" -in Russian on a bomb tech's shirt from "The Sum of All Fears"
--"All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's a fish!" -Tom Hanks "Splash"
--"War is not about who's right, it's about who's left." -Anders Russell

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:56 AM
Hey, it's about time for me to change my oil once again, and I've been looking at this product at the car parts stores called "Engine Restore" that comes in a little silver cylinder with formulas for different types of engines. Well, they claim that it restores compression and all that good stuff, but I was just wondering, there are very few "miracle" products out there, a lot of these things have drawbacks or negative effects on your engine, is anyone familiar with this product that can give me some advice on whether or not I should use it?

Thanks.

<hr>
--"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man." -Col. Jack O'Neill -Stargate SG-1
--"I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to catch up" -in Russian on a bomb tech's shirt from "The Sum of All Fears"
--"All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's a fish!" -Tom Hanks "Splash"

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 05:07 AM
Demon,

I'd pass on it. You are right in saying there are a lot of products out there that claim to do a bunch of things... however if you have been changing your oil regularly chances are you do not need it. A few cheaper products are out there that can be used. STP make several varitions of an oil additive. (4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl, performance...) these are usually monitarily cheaper.

I am not a mechanic, I dont know the condition of your engine nor the miles on it. (I assume it is pretty good condition for you to bring it up)

Again, I'd pass.... but you can always run to a local oil/lube place or mechanic (Someplace that doesnt sell the product) and get their opinion.

I will say stay away from any product that stop leaks (Barstop... etc) that crap will gunk up all sorts of things...........

"Brave Rifles!"

- Matt
"The spirit of the Cav is reason enough to fight!"

http://www.angelfire.com/vamp/guidon666/images/BR.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Well, I have a 11 year-old original engine with 140,000 miles on it, that's why I'm considering it, it's mainly for high mileage engines. The stores I've been to recommend it, but then again, they sell it, so they might want to make the money, so I won't know how much weight that really has.

About STP, I've also heard some people, including mechanics who said the STP additives would do long-term damage too if used regularly. But then again, I hear different stories from everyone I talk to just about and have no idea which ones would have other agendas and which wouldn't.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 05:33 AM
If it sounds like a miricle cure, its not. The only true way to restore engine compression is by rebuilding the motor.

but, you already knew that /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<Center>
http://www3.telus.net\robert\girl.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 05:41 AM
I never expected it to make my engine new, but they claim it helps improve gas mileage and performance for older engines, similar to claims by Gas additives by STP and others to do similar things. If it helps, even a little, without negative side-effects, I won't mind using it, but if there's any negative side-effects, then I'll stay away from it. Not working as good as they claim isn't a problem with me, I know they have to make their product seem great to sell it, any bit of improvement is welcome to me. But negative side-effects isn't, and that's basically the only thing I'm really asking about. Any non-sarcastic answer is appreciated guys.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 06:09 AM
BTW, that wasn't meant as a sarcastic remark.

Look at it this way. There is three ways to loose your compression (maybe more)

Scoring of the cylinders

Worn rings

Worn valves

Is this fluid going to fix the scoring on the cylinders?

Maybe, but the chances are, if its going to glace the cylinders, its gonna gum something else up as well. Its not gonna fix the worn valves, nor is it gonna strengthen the rings. So, what is the upside? If the engine isn't running badly, or burning oil, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is, spend the dollars when you can, and fix it right.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<Center>

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Well, your comment wasn't sarcastic until the very last part, and I appreciated your response otherwise. I wasn't really saying yours was sarcastic, just making sure the short sarcastic remark wouldn't spark a bunch of purely sarcastic responses. Anyway, I believe it's supposed to help the scored cylinders problem.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 06:15 AM
ya, but at what cost to the rest of the engine???

oh wait, that was your original question. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

<Center>

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 07:28 AM
I have used it for years on several vehicles and never noticed any bad results. it is supposed to fill in the little indentations, microscopic surely, that are on the sides of the cylinder walls.
They make oil for engines with high milage too, which i am sure you are aware of. There is also an additive out ther, forgive me for not knowing the name, but the box describes it, that is supposedly very good. they show draining the oil out of two engines and running them till one siezes up while the other with this additive runs merril;y on its way.
I have a friend here who works at Checker auto and another friend who was a mechanic and parts man for years that swears by it. My friend who works for checked used it , with his oil change, and the oil plug loosened and he ran it for a week with little or no oil in it. Just back and forth to work, but his story is amazing, if true. nd, knowing him, I am inclined to believe him.
Good luck, D.M.

Leep Out:

http://www.arach.net.au/~allanb/gr/leep/LEEP3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Hm, thanks Leep, I was suspicious like scrub is, that if it fills in gaps, like it advertises, it'll probably fill in other things that I don't want to get filled in. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Anyway, I use Castol Syntec 20W-50 motor oil, the thickest oil basically, and it's synthetic, so it's rather expensive, but keeping my engine running smooth is of high priority. I also know what you're speaking of, the other oil additive, the name also escapes me, but I remember seeing displays at the auto stores with the crank gears that shows how it makes the oil stick better.

My only beef with that is, once my oil gets really dirty and black, I don't really want any of it to stay on the engine when I drain it in my next oil change. Of course some will always stay, but this additive makes me think that a lot more of the bad old oil will stay on. I'll wait another day to see if anyone else has anything to say about that Engine Restore stuff, if no negative personal experiences come up, I think I will give it a try at least once.

Besides, the auto parts place was sold out of the Syntec 20w-50 today, only reason why I'm not outside right now changing my oil. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Demon: I think you should consider using, as I , ahem do, Lol an oil that is lighter weight. I use 5-30 in all our vehicles. The lighter weight insures that the oil gets on the moving parts quickly, as the greatest wear on your engine is at startup.

I actually use 0-30 weight synthetic Mobil1 in my wifes car. How they get that i have no idea, but as i always say, "It couldn't hurt>" well, I don't always say that, just sometimes. Come to think of it, thats the first time i've said that in years, years, i say. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Keep the Faith;
Leep Out;

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 12:04 AM
I think the other product is "slick 50"

maybe not.

<Center>

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Well leep, everyone and their mothers so far have recommended as thick as possible for my engine due to it's age.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 05:51 AM
Well-they are wrong then- listen to me, me i say- Actually, my friend is a very good mechanic and his advice is use a lighter weight-because as i stated earlier the most damage done to an engine is during startup. All the oil is then in the pan-any protection you may get with thicker oil, and i believe that it is vastly outweighed by the protection you get at startup- is still not reason enough to go against the benefits you receive by protection your engine during that critical time. See, your engine is cold, all the parts are cold, and the oil is at the bottom, where it is virtually useless. the lighter the oil, the quicker it gets up and onto vital engine parts.

Put your hands together and rub them as fast as you can. In a few seconds your hands will be burning. Put anything on them, butter, cooking oil, or engine oil, and , of course, your hands wont be hot, just really disgusting-Lol

Especially if you have an older engine-it needs all the startup protection it cam get.

Good Luck:

Leep Out:

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 06:01 AM
What he says makes sense demon, We (all northners) use a lighter weight oil in the winter so it gets there faster. Alot of people use synthetic also because it doesn't gel in -40 degrees.

<Center>

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 06:08 AM
yep I used to put Castrol Synths in my engines. Of course it a bit expensive but helped to go throught my rough winters /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

<center><td><a href=http://jonz.no-ip.com><font color="yellow">-> JonZ Artworks *updated 07-20-03* <-</font> (http://jonz.no-ip.com>http://jonz.no-ip.com/forums/uploads/post-1-1066972064.gif</a>
<table)</table></center>

yeehaaaaaaa, yeeeeeeehaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa, yeeeeeeeBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! - Dr. Strangelove
My english grammar is unéducated and french biased

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 08:22 AM
ok, JUST IN CASE you guys are thinking that it get's "cold" here... I live in south Florida, winter is like 85 degrees with 90% humidity. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Point taken Demon, but the earlier point I made is just as valid-It holds true no matter where you live- I have 136,000 miles on my ford f150 and I subscribe to what i mentioned earlier. use a Good multiweight, Castrol is a good choice- pennzoil makes an oil created just for vehicles that have over 75,000 miles and i believe that a couple others do also.

One other thing to consider: My friend also tells me that using a synthetic oil on a vehicle with a lot of miles is not the best choice. he says that - of course- that engines with a lot of miles have morewear-duh- but the important point is- that synthetic oil is so much more -hmm- slippery- lol that it can and will squeeze through the worn parts easier than regular multiweight thus you can actually use more oil in a engine that has high milage as it will get out and into places you don't necessarily want it to- it does make sense, but i can't substantiate this particular statement. I used to use synthetic and blended Quaker State in my truck , but i noticed my rear main seal did seem to leak more with this type of oil compared to regular multiweight.

So - another thing to drive you crazy.

But,,as my sweet Mom used to say about her five sons- "You little so and sos won't drive me crazy, you'll probably make me walk" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

My Mom:

Leep Out:

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 11:36 PM
My advise to you Demon would be go for it. If your engine has 140,000 miles on it how wrong can you go. If it don't work you spend little money (compare to an engine overhaul)and tried, but reality is that most likely it wont help because at 140k miles the rings, valves are pretty worn out and carbon caked and it would be a real miracle if anything you put in, works.

What these type of "miracle" oils do is loosen up the carbon that is collected around the valves, rings and so on and when that happens if the seat on the valve for example is perfectly clean it will seal better and give you a better compression. But if not all carbon particles get cleaned off then your problems are worsen. These type of treatement is good to put in your engine while the engine is still new which will help keep carbon deposits from building up. So, if you decide to use that product be ready to overhaul the engine sooner then later, which you would end up doing anyway with such high milage.

<center>
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/146066/HDZUVJETRBTPXHHFKWSU-Roguefear.jpg

<font size="4">Lead follow or get out of the way</font size="4">

Message Edited on 10/28/0306:12PM by Hornet57

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 12:24 AM
ScrubberManFSJ wrote:
- I think the other product is "slick 50"
-
- Slick 50 is a great product to protect the engine at cold start ups since it is so "slick" it keeps the cylinder walls lubricated so when you start your engine it minimizes friction and saves the oil rings and scoring of the cylinder walls.

<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 07:17 AM
Ok, so slick 50 and Engine Restore together? Alright, I'll buy both when i go out shopping for oil & filter thursday.

Leep, I'm highly suspicious of what you're saying now with the oil weight and the synthetic comment, because you're basically going against ALL the BASIC rules everyone has unanimously said over the years I have been around cars. Even though I don't think you're purposefully trying to deceive me or that you're misinformed, but it's kind of hard for me to disregard what everyone has basically held as true. But just for good measure, I'll try to go for a 20W-40 oil instead of 50, I'll keep the first number high, I mean, it never gets "cold" here, so it really wouldn't matter anyway, but whatever.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 11:26 AM
Slick 50 is a waste of money on an engine with such high milage as yours Demon. Slick 50 Is a good preventor but not much help when you're having compression problems. It wont fix it but it may prevent further damage.

<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 07:30 PM
No, Man, I would never purposely give you bad info; I am just saying what I have been told, as you have. I know my source pretty well, but that certainly doesn't mean that he in infallible.
I have , though, followed hisadvice in the past, and have never regretted it. I also have-personally, with my brothers help, change quite a few engines and trannys. I don't have the skills, or tools, for engine rebuilding, but I have helped rebuild a few of them also. I'm pretty much what is called a backyard mechanic, but my friend(s) are pros.

But, your scenario could hold as much weight as mine.

Still, I will cling to this-- the sooner the oil gets UP to the moving parts, the better. And, common sense would say that the lighter the weight, the sooner it gets to those vital parts. Although, I am confident that millions nationwide subscribe to what you have been told, So It is my opinion that the damage is usually slight and only gets worse over time, attrition. And, as Most people only keep a vehicle for an average of 3 years before they buy another, these figures i got fron television once a few years ago,the damage will show up when the next buyer gets it. If it is someone like you and me, who drive them until even the jumkyard doesn't want them-/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif well I think that my view is more relative.

But-either way won't change anything in an earth shattering way.
So, go get em"

Take care;
Leep Out;

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 04:59 AM
Well, the owner before I bought it followed the same rules I mentioned, and the car is running great even after all this time and all these miles on a car that has been driven hard and fast. I'm not really asking this to remedy any specific problem, it's running fine, I just want to take any precautions I can take and do anything that might maybe make it run even better (faster) than it already is, if it doesn't, I don't care, it's already fast enough, I just want it to AT LEAST stay that way.

Well, I bought the stuff today, and Hornet, it's like I had telepathy that you posted that Slick 50 is not worth the money, because I looked at the bottle, read the directions and the purpose and whatever, and just decided against it. I ended up buying, along with the usual oil and purolator pure one oil filter, I also bought one of those Engine Restorer cylinders, 8-cylinder formula of course. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Well, Leep, you use it a lot, one thing I'm unclear of, is I usually put about 4 pints of oil into it when doing my oil change. It's not exactly, i put in about that much, then check the level with the dip stick, run it for a second, check the level with the dip stick, and add accordingly. Well, what I want to know is, do I put the normal amount of oil, and THEN put in the Engine Restorer stuff? That will make it slightly on the full side, is that how it's supposed to be? Or am I supposed to put in slightly less oil than usual and fill up the rest of the way with the Engine Restorer?

I'm leaning toward the first option, do you know what I'm asking?

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Nope- you have to put in the same amount so it will come out full on the dipstick: That means put in the additive and then fill it with oil- run it for a couple minutes like you said, to fill up the oil filter-shut it off for a couple minutes and check it again and fill it accordingly. It wouldn't hurt it to be a half court over full just as it doesn't hurt it to have it half a quart low. those allowances were built into them. If you do put in WAY too much oil- it will build up so much pressure in the engine that it can and will start blowing gaskets.

Little tidbit there:

Either way it should be ok: Little bit over or under.

Leep Out:

XyZspineZyX
11-01-2003, 06:36 PM
If you can, fill the oil filter BEFORE you put it on. This allows faster oil pressure, because it doesn't take the time to fill the filter. And that means less wear and tear on the motor.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<Center>

XyZspineZyX
11-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Very true Scrubber- this is especially relevant on new or rebuilt motors. If they are in a position where you can fill them and get them on the engine without spilling, thay do indeed provide better protection. Good point.

My brother always said the same thing to me-- "Good point, brother, too bad it keeps putting holes in your hat>" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I think he was making fun of me, but I'm not sure>/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Leep Out:

XyZspineZyX
11-02-2003, 08:58 AM
Cool, well, I've been working extra long hours this weekend, perhaps I'll have time to get the oil change done on monday, got about 60 miles to drive until then though (as usual, 90+ miles in 2 days is light driving for me usually, doh! At least I got a little less driving on sundays. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif )

Anyway, thanks for your inputs.

<hr>