PDA

View Full Version : Local Backups

riversidealley
01-13-2004, 10:09 AM
When I heard that some people were losing progress/status as a result of online updates, I took the precaution of backing up everything in my Cyan Worlds folder (and subs). Is this sufficient or are there changes in other folders or the registry?

riversidealley
01-13-2004, 10:09 AM
When I heard that some people were losing progress/status as a result of online updates, I took the precaution of backing up everything in my Cyan Worlds folder (and subs). Is this sufficient or are there changes in other folders or the registry?

Heimdall_G
01-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Uru doesn't have files anywhere on the hard drive besides the Program Files folders, so far as I know.

Although there's no function key for saving the game, Uru does autosave. If you accept the install defaults, Uru is installed in C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst. There's a subfolder named 'sav' with its own subfolders, which is where Uru does its game autosaving. (For me, the path is C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\sav\4865696D64616C6C\current.) If the \sav folder and subfolders disappear or are reset to fresh-install state, you lose any progress you've made off-line in Prime and get to start the game all over again. Uninstalling/reinstalling Uru shouldn't touch the \sav folder, but you never know.

For playing off-line in Uru Prime, I'd recommend regularly copying at least the \sav folder and its subs to somewhere else on your hard drive. (When I was playing Prime, I'd copy \sav each time I finished for the day.) That way, if \sav gets trashed somehow, you won't lose all your game progress. If you do lose game progress after a reinstall, you overlay the new 'sav' folder with the copied one and keep on trucking.

When playing on-line, I copy \Uru - Ages Beyond Myst and all of its subfolders at least once per week. Several times, something has gotten trashed and I've simply replaced the entire \Uru - Ages Beyond Myst folder and subs, been back in business right away. This costs the time to download whatever on-line updates have come out since you last saved, of course, but that's a whole lot better than starting over from a fresh game install!

BTW, game progress on-line in the Prologue is saved on the Ubisoft server, not on your hard drive.

In Live as -- Heimdall
KI 89512
Latest Uru updates here (http://www.cyanworlds.com/status.htm)