PDA

View Full Version : GR IT just bought it. so confused! so disappointed!

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 12:38 PM
I have recently bought Ghost Recon Island Thunder for the xbox. Unfortunately I am very disappointed and may have to return it to the shop in the next few days.
I have not played the original GR so this was all new to me. The instructions are simply not good enough. I have so many questions that are left unanswered by the brief manual that came with the game. The map section is all but impossible to decipher, and the brief voice over in the training area is not enough. The symbols in the map room are not explained at all. For example, next to each soldier are four letters , W, S etc with number next to them. What does it all mean? How do I move soldiers around in the map room. What is it all for? I am so disappointed as I had heard many good things about this game, yet it is not adequately explained to someone who has not played GR before, even though the game is sold as a separate entity from the original. I know that I am not be alone in experiencing these problems...aaaah
Nashmeister

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 12:38 PM
I have recently bought Ghost Recon Island Thunder for the xbox. Unfortunately I am very disappointed and may have to return it to the shop in the next few days.
I have not played the original GR so this was all new to me. The instructions are simply not good enough. I have so many questions that are left unanswered by the brief manual that came with the game. The map section is all but impossible to decipher, and the brief voice over in the training area is not enough. The symbols in the map room are not explained at all. For example, next to each soldier are four letters , W, S etc with number next to them. What does it all mean? How do I move soldiers around in the map room. What is it all for? I am so disappointed as I had heard many good things about this game, yet it is not adequately explained to someone who has not played GR before, even though the game is sold as a separate entity from the original. I know that I am not be alone in experiencing these problems...aaaah
Nashmeister

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Hang in there. I felt exactly the same after purchasing GR last Xmas. I thought the directions sucked - and actually never got the map stuff down until I bought the cheat book that actually did a decent job of expaining everything. The documentation just plin sucks and the training really doens't help that much with team movement in a large enviroment. I also agree that not knowing what the icons mean makes thinks REALLY dificult. Hang with it, goto a store and read/buy the book and you'll end up enjoying this game more than any other. The only games that will ever top GR or GR:IT (IMHO) will be R6 or Full Spectrum Warrior. Once you learn GR all other games will just suck.

-Calvin

aka. silvergrayfox (my XBL gametag)

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 04:44 PM
nashmeister,
I felt the same with Ghost Recon, but with more playing time; the more I learned about the game, maps, etc.... Also this forum had a lot of answers to my questions, without asking, by just looking at old post.

I would hold on to the game, play a lot of single player games and check out past posts on this forum. If you enjoy this kind of game, you should love GR IT and your frustrations will be well worth it.

Also, how long have you had this game?

Big Fat Tony
(AKA: Slow&Sloppy)

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 09:31 PM
thanks guys I'll hang in there. I think I need to give it some more time... Maybe i let my initial impressions cloud my judgement. Cheers...

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 10:19 PM
Here is a breif overview that should get ya started...
Controls
Left Thumbstick...........Move
Left Thumbstick Button....Open Doors
Right Thumbstick..........Look Around
Right Thumbstick Button...Zoom In
A Button..................Reload
X Button..................Nightvision On/Off
B Button..................Switch Weapon
Y Button..................Switch Soldier
Back Button...............cheat Menu
Start Button..............Menu
White Button..............Talk
Black Button..............Firing Mode
Right Trigger.............Fire
Left Trigger..............Command Map

What do the letters W, S, E, L stand for?
-------------------------------------
W: Weapons
S: Stealth
E: Endurance
L: Leadership

How do I earn Medals?
-------------------------
Purple Heart: Get wounded or killed in action.
Bronze Star: Get 15 kills
Silver Star: Get 20 kills
Distinguished Service Cross: Get 25 kills
Congressional Medal Of Honor: Get 30 kills

Selecting Soldiers
You can select and equip your soldier individually instead of auto-assigning.
You'll have to pick 6 at the most. There are four different types of soldiers:

Rifleman
---------
Rifleman mostly carry close range weapons such as assault rifles. They are the
guys that should rack up lots of the kills if you are playing with the A.I.

Sniper
----------
A sniper carries (obviously) snipers and grenades. Snipers are used to pick off
enemies far away.

Support
--------
Support are the guys that don't shoot all that much but they are always the ones
that stay alive last. They are usually following and helping out pick off the
enemies.

Demolitions
---------------
Demolitians carry explosives and are neccsessary in the mission which expect you
to destroy enemie stuff.

Movement ROEs
Hold
----
When you command your team(s) to hold, they will not move. They will stay at area
you told them to hold until told otherwise.

Advance
-----------
A team on advance will continue to the location they are directed to go until they
meet up with enemies, they will hold until you tell them otherwise.

Advance At All Costs
------------------------
A team will continue to where they are told to at all costs. When they are met up
with enemies they won't stop to kill them, they will kill them while moving.

Combat ROEs
Recon
---------
On Recon, soldiers won't fire at enemies unless the enemie spots the and shoots at
them. Soldiers will try to use silencers if they have them equipped.

Assault
-----------
On Assault, soldiers will shoot enemies if they spot them and will stop shooting as
soon as it doesnt find a threat.

Surpress
------------
Soldiers will fire at any place it seems to have enemies and will continue firing
for a few seconds after enemies enemy's disappear just in case,

Command Map
To get the command map, press the L trigger. Pressing the directional pad will move
the cursor. Waypoint are points you want your team(s) to go, you cans set a waypoint
by pressing the A button. If the cursor is red, you cannot set a waypoint there. You
can zoom into the map by clicking the right thumbstick and to zoom back out press
the right thumbstick again. You can tell a certain soldier to look a certain way when
you get to the waypoint by holding the A button while stting the waypoint and using
the directional pad to move the facing arc around.

You can give your team(s) orders by looking at the sides to team Alpha and Bravo.
At the top shows you which team you are setting option for. To change this press A
on it. At the top of each side is the Movement ROEs. At the bottom of each side is
the combat ROEs and is set as Assault by default.

<font face="verdana" size="0" color="00aa00">-Matt
<center>http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/159002/sublimesig.jpg</center>
<center>40 oz. to freedom</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 10:21 PM
and give this link a try...
http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_ghostrecon_gd&id=zsomj

XyZspineZyX
09-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Hard to understand?

Between the manual and training I dunno what isn't covered besides good tactics for each mission.

XyZspineZyX
09-28-2003, 07:11 PM
This is plain out BullSHEET! Support guys shoot the MOST, thats why they are support guys, most of the time we have them throw down suppressive fire, to allow buddy teams, or a team to bound forward.

"- Support
---------
- Support are the guys that don't shoot all that much
- but they are always the ones
-
- that stay alive last. They are usually following and
- helping out pick off the
- enemies.
"

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 02:21 AM
By all means, if you have any questions, that's what we are here for.

Odds are, that someone around here will be able to answer whatever question you might have.

Don't be shy.

-----------------

<font color="ffae00">Sportsguy AKA Sportsmurf
http://www.smurf.com/cgi-bin/rand_strip.cgi </font>

Moderator - cfbtalk.com > Think you know College Football? Well, show us what you've got - Michael "Sportsguy" Gabucci

<font color="ffae00">Disclaimer:
Unlike Digger, my post contains no traces of humor whatsoever. On a humor scale to 1-10, I would rate around a -58. If you are looking for something funny however, go talk to Snipe. I hear he smells funny.
</Font>

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 02:11 PM
ok, fine i will change it but i didnt see you help any buddy so buzz off..../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 03:42 AM
I have so many questions that are left
- unanswered by the brief manual that came with the
- game. The map section is all but impossible to
- decipher, and the brief voice over in the training
- area is not enough. The symbols in the map room are
- not explained at all. For example, next to each
- soldier are four letters , W, S etc with number next
- to them. What does it all mean? How do I move
- soldiers around in the map room. What is it all for?
- I am so disappointed as I had heard many good things
- about this game, yet it is not adequately explained
- to someone who has not played GR before, even though
- the game is sold as a separate entity from the
- original. I know that I am not be alone in
- experiencing these problems...aaaah
-----------------------------------------------------------
ok first of all you are just LAZY i have had the original and GRIT since they came out and i never needed the manual i play just fine aight here

-right trigger-shoot
-left trigger-map
-black- rate of fire (burst rate)
-white- (online chat to people)
-A-reload
-B-cycle through your kit stuff (rifle/pistol)ect ect
-X-night vision
-Y-cycle through your AI soldiers
-left analog stick- move (press in to open doors)
-right analog stick-look (press in to zoom)
-left on d-pad- peek left
-right on d-pad- peek right
-down on d-pad- kneel press twice to lie down
-up on d-pad- to stand up from kneeling or liying down
-back-score board
-start- pause menu
whats so hard to understand? now on to the screen say it with me S-C-R-E-E-N yessss very good!
-the thing in the middle is the reicle thats what you aim with-

-the little guy in the bottom right corner is your stance (standing kneeling ect ect ect)and if its green your healthy (not shot) yellow (wounded your shot) red( you DEAD)-

-the thing next to it is your team and class indicator dont even pay attention to that it useless-

-the little thing in the bottom middle that looks simular to a circle is your threat indicator if theres a enemy it shows you what direction by showing up in yellow in that direction (you still with me) if the middle of that is red that means theres an enemy within 40 meters-

-the little guns to your right bottom are your weapons wich ever ones on bottom is the one you are using-

-the numbers next no that is your ammo yes thats what you shoot at the enemy and the number next to that is your clips so (example) 30/15 so that means you have 30 rounds per clip and you have 15 clips of 30 get it-
and the thing above that is your rate of fire if theres 1 black mark that means you fire 1 round at a time if theres 2 that means 2 at a time if theres 3 that means 3 shots a a time if its all black that means its fully automatic thats when most people spray and pray (meaning you should like scarface and pray that they hit some one)-
now if you still cant play the game you dont need the map and if you did learn then ask for the info on the map cause i will gladly type it up aight
I HOPE YOU KNOW HOW TO READ YA LAZY *****!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

XBOX GAMER TAG

Miniguns

if in case you wana play GR-IT (best on-line xbox game)

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 03:28 AM
I sometimes wonder if they purposely make the instructions bare bones so more people will buy those damn strategy guides. I'm sure they hate sites like this!

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 09:24 PM
I didn't think the manual was that bad, or even all that necessary. Except for a couple things, you can learn the game just by playing for a few minutes or more. I learned mostly by playing online.

I guess you expected to be a pro after reading the manual for some reason. Usually you gotta play the game for a while to be any good.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 10:13 PM
where are the mods when you need em?/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
I don't see why you guys should get so upset about this/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

<center><b/>I have the fifth freedom... So watch out here I come.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wabaaj/Aj6627.jpg
<font color=ff0000>http://dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Shooter/Tom_Clancy_Games/Splinter_Cell/
Josh Horne a forum legend /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif j/k
<marquee width="500"><font color=0099FF>King of the Reply, Elite Ops, Third Echelon Operative, bold thinker, Over 2000 postings, Chatter, Thread Maven, Citizen of D'ni, Veteran, F-15 Pilot, Supervillan, Abgesandter der Maya (1500+) (more disbatched of the Maya), Echter IL-2 Fan , GR Hunting Club, Baron Noir, Egal à Sam, Numéro II, I am the LAW, Virus... (happened at 6:35PM EST on October/12/2003)/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
<font color=ff0000>Respect List: NSAagent, S7N, WinsK, SKULLS, Sangsta, Troy(where ever he is), Usa320, Rohan.com,Bergeyman, NightCrawlerEvo, DCell, AgentXBOX, Martin Caya</marquee>
<center><a href=http://www.cbs.com/primetime/fall_preview_2003/shows/navy_cis.shtml target="_blank">
</a>
<font color="black"><font color=ff0000>
<center>MEMBER OF PITTBULLS MAFIOSO

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 08:20 PM
The first mission of GRIT was significantly more difficult than that of GR, wasn't it? And I agree, the manual is threadbare in help, but they usually are, right? It just takes a lot of practice.

I'm doing the hardest missions on Elite with snipers nowadays, but a few weeks/months ago I was having all six soldiers being killed by one guy, and other things like that.You just have ta play.

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 04:15 AM
when i first bought GR i thought the levels were to big and thought it was to hard. I played it alot and found out all the space in each map just made room for any player to make up new tactics on how to beat the enemy or get an objective done. Now other games feel to cramped and to much run gun. GR is and awesome game and when GRIT came out i liked the new levels.
great games. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

There is No Power Greater Than X
=========X-BOX RULES============

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 11:10 AM
This game is awesome, what are you talking about?

XyZspineZyX
11-18-2003, 01:01 PM
I did the Training (listened real good to the instructions for the Command map as it's the critical part of the game)

For explanations of Skill Points etc I looked in the pamphlet that came in the Original http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif box.

What I miss in that book or in training is info on the weapons.

XyZspineZyX
11-22-2003, 09:46 PM
nashmeister wrote:
- I have recently bought Ghost Recon Island Thunder
- for the xbox. Unfortunately I am very disappointed
- and may have to return it to the shop in the next
- few days.

You been encouraged to hang in there and once you do, you'll know why. I had EXACTLY the same thoughts until I figured everything out. Of course you have to eat a great deal of Soviet Bloc manufactured lead on the way, but in the end it's them that will be eating good old aged USA uranium.

Peace Through Superior Firepower

XyZspineZyX
11-23-2003, 08:03 AM
what more info are you looking for as far as weapons go, nobody can tell you what weapon is good, different people like different weapons, some want alot of bullets and don't mind poor accuracy and some want the enemy shot with the most accuracy and less noise. Basically, try them out for yourself, this game has a learning curve, once you pass that you will then see how perfect this game can be. you should be playing it on xbl to get the full spectrum of the game.