PDA

View Full Version : sound, is this right?

cuthbert2112
03-14-2004, 02:32 PM
it seems like i'm only hearing part of the sounds, for instance how come the ai guns don't make sounds or if i whack a crate with my knife it doesn't make a sound, or even walking around i can hear jungle sounds but i dont make any sound? it's hard to explain but the sounds just seem wierd like something is missing

[This message was edited by cuthbert2112 on Sun March 14 2004 at 04:11 PM.]

cuthbert2112
03-14-2004, 02:32 PM
it seems like i'm only hearing part of the sounds, for instance how come the ai guns don't make sounds or if i whack a crate with my knife it doesn't make a sound, or even walking around i can hear jungle sounds but i dont make any sound? it's hard to explain but the sounds just seem wierd like something is missing

[This message was edited by cuthbert2112 on Sun March 14 2004 at 04:11 PM.]

Wildhound3k
03-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Yeah I've been having similar problems. Nobody around here seems able to explain it though.

Any problems you're having are your hardware's fault, not that of the game's shoddy programming. That's what they'll tell you anyway.

I_Am_Tron
03-14-2004, 05:02 PM
cuthbert2112, you watch 24? that elisha cuthbert chick is hella hot.

back to the topic though, what kind of soundcard do you have?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 MB
320GB HD RAID 0 | 1.5 GB Crucial XMS DDR 400

cuthbert2112
03-14-2004, 05:08 PM
oh yeah forgot to mention i have a soundblaster live card running on xp. it might be hardware related but i have no problems like this with any other games. i would liked to get it sorted though, i'm pretty stoked to get this game.

Wildhound3k
03-14-2004, 05:28 PM
I've encountered numerous people with the same problem, and it's always on a Soundblaster. In fact all the cases I know of have been on Audigys. Is yours an Audigy?

Compatability with the Audigy really should be first priority since it's the most popular surround sound card. While most Audigy owners don't seem to have problems a few of us do. I'm guessing it's a problem between the game and specific setups using the Audigy card.

Perhaps it'll be fixed in the full version of the game or in a patch. Hopefully sooner rather than later as I really can't be bothered to play the game without the sound working.

Anyway, I've yet to pinpoint what causes the problem exactly. But it'd help me if I knew what your motherboard and CPU you're using, so I can compare them to my own.

CartoonCorpse
03-15-2004, 08:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cuthbert2112:
oh yeah forgot to mention i have a soundblaster live card running on xp. it might be hardware related but i have no problems like this with any other games. i would liked to get it sorted though, i'm pretty stoked to get this game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's not your card. i have the same one. i hear all the sounds your missing. knife, walking, etc, lot's of stuff, bugs, voices, splashes, guns (sometimes the silenced smg is a little too silent i think...no sound at all instead of little sound...even when reloading!

"De Omnibus Dubitandum"
- Rene Descartes

cuthbert2112
03-15-2004, 12:18 PM
no it's not an audigy, it's a soundblaster live card. using the latest drivers on their website. here are more of my specs if that helps.
biostar u8068 motherboard
via p4m266 chipset
p4 2.4
512mb pc 2100 ddr
geforce ti4400
soundblaster live soundcard
win xp pro

CartoonCorpse
03-15-2004, 12:46 PM
mine's a soundblaster live card too. i reinstalled the drivers when i started gtavc, though no new ones had been released.

what are you in game sounds settings? i use stereo.

"De Omnibus Dubitandum"
- Rene Descartes

cuthbert2112
03-15-2004, 09:34 PM
i've tried them all. one wierd thing though, i turned up my speakers as far as they would go, and for a couple of minutes i could the ai guns very faintly. but then it quit and i couldn't hear them again. bummer, hopefully it'll work in the retail version.

CartoonCorpse
03-16-2004, 08:05 AM
do you have music on? i've been using music, but im thinking of turning it off, kinda distracting.

"De Omnibus Dubitandum"
- Rene Descartes

Brisco_county
03-16-2004, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cuthbert2112:
i've tried them all. one wierd thing though, i turned up my speakers as far as they would go, and for a couple of minutes i could the ai guns very faintly. but then it quit and i couldn't hear them again. bummer, hopefully it'll work in the retail version.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having same exact problem. Have an Audigy 2, 6.1 running XP (brand new PC). Hard to play the game as you don't hear bullets coming at you (thought all of the bad guys guns were the quietest silencers ever, until realized I can't hear other sounds). Weird that if you go under water can hear yourself breath in/out, but walking or going through bushes, no sound at all. Disappointing as the graphics are good, game play seems good. Maybe full game will have this fixed.

R_A_G
03-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Yeah the sound is off a bit. I'd be driving the boat around the isle and as soon as I came close to the AO It would kick in LOUD. Also when you can hear a helo through 300 yards of rock through the binoculers, that's just a bit off. Sound is hard to do, I guess. Seems like ALL FPS games I've ever played, the walls in a house would be paper thin in reference to sound and solid as lead when trying shooting through (with the exception of a few games).

Wildhound3k
03-17-2004, 02:14 PM
I replaced my motherboard and the problem disappeared: very strange.

Ah well, I knew it wasn't my soundcard. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CartoonCorpse
03-17-2004, 02:15 PM
oh yeah i remember that. (hearing helis and boats through rock)...first i thought damn fine equipment, then i thought, oh, but i can't hear anything else (people, weapons, etc). probably get fixed...a little thing to me. that's how i discovered the bonus kills over on the far left of map (from starting point in boat)! there's a heli on far right, but it will insta-death you before you get to it. im still working on taking that out from the brush while it's searching.

"De Omnibus Dubitandum"
- Rene Descartes