PDA

View Full Version : Unanswered Questions

ChaoticCoyote
02-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Is the "absence" of Dr. Watson merely a role-playing cover for a vacation, or has he left Cyan?

The story of Phil has many parallels to the story of Uru Live, and his "death" coincides (roughly) with the decision (a few weeks ago) to end Uru Live. Was Phil, perhaps, a metaphor? Or did everyone know this already, and I'm just slow?

What is the criteria for the free expansion? Is it only for people who played the prologue, or will it be available to anyone?

Just curious.

ChaoticCoyote
02-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Is the "absence" of Dr. Watson merely a role-playing cover for a vacation, or has he left Cyan?

The story of Phil has many parallels to the story of Uru Live, and his "death" coincides (roughly) with the decision (a few weeks ago) to end Uru Live. Was Phil, perhaps, a metaphor? Or did everyone know this already, and I'm just slow?

What is the criteria for the free expansion? Is it only for people who played the prologue, or will it be available to anyone?

Just curious.

Sheerluck7
02-05-2004, 11:03 AM
as faw as I know anyone who bought the game will be able to download the expansions

Support uru live! (http://www.petitiononline.com/savelive/petition.html)

asa160
02-05-2004, 11:04 AM
I think its interesting that we haven't (at least I haven't) heard from RAWA (aka Dr Watson). I've been wondering if he is still around. I hope he is!

zackron1
02-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Cyan will probably rlease the D'Ni city, ferry, and nexus as free downloadable expansions, and will include any other new zones and new content as purchasable expansions.

Many of the members of the DRC represented members of the Uru development team, Over the last few weeks, many got wind of Cyan's unwillingness to address issues, and had such left the Uru project, willing or unwilling I'm sure we will never know, but as they left, then their DRC persona's were either killed off or went missing.

asa160
02-05-2004, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zackron1:
Many of the members of the DRC represented members of the Uru development team, Over the last few weeks, many got wind of Cyan's unwillingness to address issues, and had such left the Uru project, willing or unwilling I'm sure we will never know, but as they left, then their DRC persona's were either killed off or went missing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is your evidence for this? Can you provide a second source to confirm your comments?

Kwartha
02-05-2004, 11:16 AM
There will be some new content (more than the city and neighborhood) in the first expansion pack, and it will be free to anyone who purchased Uru and registered their CD Key. After that point, the first expansion pack is going to be packaged with the retail game.

Shorahmin
02-05-2004, 11:23 AM
An Open Letter to Rand Miller

Dear Mr. Miller,

I too develop software for a living – although not remotely close to the magnitude and scope of your undertakings. Yet the first principles are the same. Having long ago â"Walked a mile in your sandalsâ", I will not criticize what you have accomplished. Instead, I wish to commend and encourage you and your staff. I will also add some free advice to the pile you have already received.

First, I see two basic ways to fail in our work: looking too far ahead or not looking far enough. If one must fail, I would prefer to be ahead of my time rather than behind. So it was with you. It seems that the cost of implementing your vision exceeded the revenue expected. I believe, over time, that expected revenues from grand visions like yours will likely rise. We need have no doubt that the costs of the MIPS and FLOPS needed for such visions will continue to fall. So keep your patents and copyrights current. The lines will cross sooner than expected.

Second, I encourage you to seek a less draconian solution. Perhaps your foot can remain slightly in the door with a less ambitious initial offering. For example, to simply provide the â˜hoods as a splendid chat room environment might work. I know I would subscribe. So would everyone on my buddies list. Including access to the neighborhoods from the Prime game would keep the channels open - and keep us Mysto-Philes happy. Maintaining your presence in this way, would position you well for that moment in the near future when the lines do cross.

Regardless of your choice, I want to thank you and all those who work with you for non-violent games that are worth the effort to play, that are beautifully done, and satisfying to complete. We eagerly wait for the next thing from Cyan, whatever it may be.

Best Regards,

Larry Brickner AKA Shorahmin (Katran)

ChaoticCoyote
02-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Okay -- well, I know RAWA is still with us, because he is posting in other threads today. The in-character absence had me worried there!