PDA

View Full Version : First time user of Il-2 needs advice on patches, etc...

Hinomaru_Hawk
01-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi. This is my first time on here, so I'm not quite sure how the forum works yet. I bought the original Il-2 way back in early 2000 (I think), but did not have a fast enough computer to run it at the time. I love flight sims, so I waited for awhile. I now have a fast enough computer, and have loaded the game on...it appears to work fine. Now...

1. Which patches and downloads should I add to update the game? I see there are quite a bunch of them. Should I add all of them from the earliest first up to the most recent?

2. Which controller is best to use with Windows XP Home Edition? I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro which I was using with European Air War on the old computer, but I get a message that its drivers are not compatible with Windows XP...(sigh)

Can I get updated drivers for it, or do I simply have to get a newer joystick. And if so, which one? Should I consider getting a setup with both joystick and foot pedal rudder control?

That oughta do it for the moment...

Hinomaru_Hawk
01-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi. This is my first time on here, so I'm not quite sure how the forum works yet. I bought the original Il-2 way back in early 2000 (I think), but did not have a fast enough computer to run it at the time. I love flight sims, so I waited for awhile. I now have a fast enough computer, and have loaded the game on...it appears to work fine. Now...

1. Which patches and downloads should I add to update the game? I see there are quite a bunch of them. Should I add all of them from the earliest first up to the most recent?

2. Which controller is best to use with Windows XP Home Edition? I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro which I was using with European Air War on the old computer, but I get a message that its drivers are not compatible with Windows XP...(sigh)

Can I get updated drivers for it, or do I simply have to get a newer joystick. And if so, which one? Should I consider getting a setup with both joystick and foot pedal rudder control?

That oughta do it for the moment...

gurypuddle
01-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the Forum Hinomaru,

Here is a link to a post from Steve_V that explains the correct patch instalation.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=481102701&r=819102701#819102701

Your MSffb stick will work great. You should just be able to use it fine without the install cd.Just plug it in and XP should see it and automaticaly install it.

http://home.comcast.net/~e.lamb/wsb/media/156422/site1013.jpg

Hinomaru_Hawk
01-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Okay, thanks! I will have to restart the system so it recogizes the presence of the joystick. I'll try that and see...then I'll check out your link. Be back in a bit.

Hinomaru_Hawk
01-11-2004, 11:05 PM
Hello again. I did what you suggested, and yes the computer recognized the joystick, and it works fine. I am crashing and burning all over the place, of course, cos I don't know the simulation well enough yet or have the feel for it...will have to put in some long hours of training again in order to have any chance of surviving a mission. Can't even seem to take off without getting in trouble!

Mind you, I can do loops and rolls, so it's not hopeless... :-)

Nice to see those pretty 109's again, and the artwork is great!

I will get on with the downloads now. Thanks!